Motorway Bridge Collapse in Italy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bloody hell!!

Very near to where my partners mum lives in near the French border and I'm sure I've been over that bridge once or twice.... absolutely shocking.

This looks like the bit that has collapsed.

Google Maps

If you go street view then you can see the condition of the bridge didn't look too great if you look to the right. This is from October 2017. If you keep going ahead towards the missing column, you'll notice the barrier edge of the bridge isn't there. Though probably not structural it does show the condition of the bridge in parts as it's doesn't look too great. The other side looks to have been repaired.

Google Maps

Last edited by a moderator:
If you go street view then you can see the condition of the bridge didn't look too great if you look to the right. This is from October 2017. If you keep going ahead towards the missing column, you'll notice the barrier edge of the bridge isn't there. Though probably not structural it does show the condition of the bridge in parts as it's doesn't look too great. The other side looks to have been repaired.

Google Maps
how do you make that out from google maps ?

scratch that, on closer inspection you can see some iffy looking joints on the column that's gone

Last edited:
Did you bother to click the link and look about, are you viewing on a phone or are you simply being pedantic to take the piss as I'm not a structural engineer? :lol:

Thought to be fair to you, I had mentioned viewing the underneath but took that part out of my post as not everyone will be able to view on a PC/laptop and a phone may be difficult. I also did have pics of what I'd seen but didn't upload. I'm no structural engineer but I think I can see signs of repair underneath the column or are those dark grey bits just paint colour tests? ;) That along with a canny few cracks here and there in other places made me say it doesn't look in too great condition.

Google Maps

Jesus. When it goes to the aerial footage there's a green wagon about 5 metres from the edge. Imagine being him Sat there thinking what the fuck..

Did you bother to click the link and look about, are you viewing on a phone or are you simply being pedantic to take the piss as I'm not a structural engineer? :lol:

Thought to be fair to you, I had mentioned viewing the underneath but took that part out of my post as not everyone will be able to view on a PC/laptop and a phone may be difficult. I also did have pics of what I'd seen but didn't upload. I'm no structural engineer but I think I can see signs of repair underneath the column or are those dark grey bits just paint colour tests? ;) That along with a canny few cracks here and there in other places made me say it doesn't look in too great condition.

Google Maps

Looking at the video, the central A frame pier collapses later than the two cantilevered spans. I’d say the failure took place in the 'suspension cables' ** which then impacted the piers, so a classic progressive collapse.

** The suspension cables look to be concrete, which is poor in tension, so there must be strand reinforcement and that image on google earth shows scaffolding in this area, although I’m not sure how old that image is.

RIP to all those who lost their lives today.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back