Motorway Bridge Collapse in Italy

I suppose those in Brussels need to take a long hard look at themselves they have almost bankrupt Mediterranean countries like Greece Italy and Spain

Could have been an even bigger tragedy if it had been the section built directly ABOVE the blocks of flats that had gone.

Aye thats the one small mercy in this - I’d imagine the houses will have been evacuated , and won’t be lived in until the rest of the bridge is demolished though? I wouldn’t be sleeping a wink under that.

As I understand it, the cables normally flexible I would have thought, have been encased in concrete, normally fairly rigid.

I’m no engineer, but I would have thought that to be something of a mismatch that could cause problems.

As I understand it, it’s a very unusual design.

It is clear that all is not well there, the more you hear and read. Apart from the awful human cost, this incident will be a financial disaster.

Might end up a very cheap place to holiday.

Aye just like Greece did (not)

Could have been an even bigger tragedy if it had been the section built directly ABOVE the blocks of flats that had gone.
be a twat to demolish now though.

There's another bridge in Libya that was designed by Morandi. This was closed to traffic last year due to safety reasons.

Authorities in east Libya close Wadi el Kuf Bridge for safety reasons | The Libya Observer

The eastern pylon of the Genoa bridge was strengthened with cables along the concrete stays in 1993. None of the other pylons had this done.

Logon or register to see this image

If anyone's interested, there's a discussion on the SSC Italian Roads forum here. Its in English btw.

cheers for the link. some insightful reading on there.

Last edited:

Back