Most expensive mistake at work

f***ing hell. :lol:

You're brave.

We thought it was funny at the time!

Not a really expensive mistake , but I know someone who was asked to order some golf balls with their company logo on.

He ordered a twelve boxes of a gross , so ended up with 1728 golf balls , to make it worse they were yellow.

Thery were still giving them out years later.

Was acting CEO years back, while our real CEO was suffering from terminal cancer. Week she died we were due to activate the 5 year break clause on a 10 year lease. In all the grief and activity, completely missed it. Bastard landlords were going to stick to terms of lease and charge us further 5 years full rent - about £250k - as a small-ish charity it would have shut us down. Eventually after much negotiation they relented and 'only' charged us £10k. Oops

Was acting CEO years back, while our real CEO was suffering from terminal cancer. Week she died we were due to activate the 5 year break clause on a 10 year lease. In all the grief and activity, completely missed it. Bastard landlords were going to stick to terms of lease and charge us further 5 years full rent - about £250k - as a small-ish charity it would have shut us down. Eventually after much negotiation they relented and 'only' charged us £10k. Oops

That's not a mistake, that's the landlords being mercenary bastards.

A bit merciless, but if the charity was “ trading “ at a similar rental payment why would a five year extension shut you down ?

I worked at Heathrow for 30 years and saw a few howlers there. Worst one was a ground handler lad who was moving a jetty into place and managed to put a decent dent into the forward fuselage of a British Airways Boeing 757 but didn't tell anyone. No one spotted it on the pre-flight checks either and it was only noticed when it took off and there was a fuck load of vibration from the front of the plane. it landed safely and all that, no physical damage done. I think it was only the lad owning up to it at that point that saved him from jail. Got sacked though.

When I worked at Iberia Airlines, we sent one coffin bound for a funeral in Barcelona to Cairo, and dropped another one on the tarmac in Dublin so the lid stoved in and some of the brass fittings came off. Oh and we killed quite a lot of pets over the years too. Oh, and Gary Linekers brother Wayne threatened to come over from Spain and give me a kicking when we lost some Sky TV card he needed for some sports event he wanted to show in his f***ing shit bar.

Despite all that, it was the best job I ever had.
I did my airside driver training at LHR and the stories of things hitting planes are quite common. Very expensive crashes

The blame doesn’t go on the sales assistant for underage sales, it goes to the licence holder. They would be interviewed on record at council offices, and given a warning, it is not a police matter.

I assure you that I would be in deep shit if I was to allow an underage person illegally purchase a knife.

We had to read and sign a form today to say we understand that as part of Operation Sceptre, for the rest of the year the police will be doing random test purchases of knives. They intend to deploy in a store a decoy who will attempt to buy a knife and we must ask for age verification. We have to be doubly on guard against any purchase of a knife by someone who looks under 25. It explicitly states that if we allow the sale of a knife we will be arrested, fined and face up to 6 months in prison. This will also affect the license of ASDA.

But if you can do your job and do it well you have nothing to worry about. Just be vigilant.

Her mistake is been paid for by us.

It’s relative peanuts compared to what was wasted/spent during covid, illegal wars, etc. although that’s not excusing it.

We’ll be paying for the furlough scheme for generations (£70Bn).

Last edited:
Her mistake is been paid for by us.

It’s relative peanuts compared to what was wasted/spent during covid, illegal wars, etc. although that’s not excusing it.

We’ll be paying for the furlough scheme for generations.

True, but it's the principal and arrogance of it, absolute scum the way she thinks it's ok to do what she did.

I assure you that I would be in deep shit if I was to allow an underage person illegally purchase a knife.

We had to read and sign a form today to say we understand that as part of Operation Sceptre, for the rest of the year the police will be doing random test purchases of knives. They intend to deploy in a store a decoy who will attempt to buy a knife and we must ask for age verification. We have to be doubly on guard against any purchase of a knife by someone who looks under 25. It explicitly states that if we allow the sale of a knife we will be arrested, fined and face up to 6 months in prison. This will also affect the license of ASDA.

But if you can do your job and do it well you have nothing to worry about. Just be vigilant.

Operation Sceptre....are you Bond, Shields Black Cat Bond.

In my first job as a legal administrator whatever than is, the firm had paid 25k for a swanky new scanner/printer.

The touchscreen kept on stalling on and it always seemed to be after 5 o clock on my time. One of the solicitor had been an absolute dick head and I just red, thumped the touchscreen monitor and snapped it straight off the printer.

It wasn't at work, but many moons ago when I wrote for the Darlington FC fanzine "Where's the Money Gone?" I posed an "observational comparison" in picture form between Mr Reynolds' wife to a certain Mr A Hitler.

Needless to say he wasn't pleased. Didn't get sued but it was quite an interesting moment :lol:
I remember those times , he came after folk for that sort of thing as I recall.

Back