Model railway enthusiasts

Status
Not open for further replies.
my grandad has loads of stuff in his loft from when I was a kid. He used to work on the railway and his back garden backs onto a line so when I was young I was interested. I got less interested as I got older so he put it into storage. It must be 20-25 years ago so I have no idea what there is. I'll have to dig it out at some point, it just takes up so much space.

Edit, the only one I actually remember was called smokey joe which looks like it was 00 gauge, so I guess that's what we have.

Last edited:

my grandad has loads of stuff in his loft from when I was a kid. He used to work on the railway and his back garden backs onto a line so when I was young I was interested. I got less interested as I got older so he put it into storage. It must be 20-25 years ago so I have no idea what there is. I'll have to dig it out at some point, it just takes up so much space.

Edit, the only one I actually remember was called smokey joe which looks like it was 00 gauge, so I guess that's what we have.
Hornby are still making the Smokey Joe tank engine

I had one of them too.

Still got it! All my old trainset stuff went into a box and sat up my parents loft for years, then I built a layout for the kids in my shed. No replica of anything, just a couple of loops making the most of the space I had, with sidings and a turn table in the middle.

My daughter liked it for a while, my son (8) is interested, but it is too cold at the minute and I seem to spend a lot of time cleaning dead bits on the track or finding places where it derails etc.

Is there any on here?

I'm in the middle of inheriting a load of 00 guage stuff (talking thousands). Gonna try and build a small guage replica of Sunderland's railways in its heyday.
You’ll need a bloody big board. I modeled South Hylton and even a shortened version took a 12’ board. Have a look at Railway Modeller or British Railway Modelling magazines, there are some great ideas for layouts.

There are some great YouTube channels I subscribe to.

This is one of them

Is there any clubs up this way?

Last edited:

yea I found it on amazon for £30, looks a bit different to the one I had, I don't remember it having the name in big white text on the side. I maybe wrong though, it's been that long. Probably worthless since they still make it.

I built a cracking one for my little lad, electric points the lot.
Build a quarry and everything. Scenery side boards etc.
He wanted more space in his room and with a heavy heart sold it a year ago.

Always fancied a layout involving the Londonderry junction that was down Hendon mesell.
I once had a vague idea of building a model of the Queen Alexandra Bridge in OO gauge. I worked it out from a map and it would be 34 feet long. Even in N gauge it would be 17 feet.
The QA bridge is the largest lattice work bridge in the world. Just thought I'd hoy that in.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back