Minimum alcohol pricing Scotland.

No. It’s a minimum price. Therefore aimed at those priced the cheapest. Therefore not the expensive stuff
That was just against minimum pricing. If there is, as has been suggested, certain "brands" that will be subject to minimum pricing, whilst others not, that will cause chaos. The other point is that if there are brewers who send stuff from outside Scotland, that'll start coming to a rapid end as their profits tumble from lack of sales north of the birder. This has a much wider impact on profits and, therefore, jobs in England given that a large percentage of the alcohol sold in Scotland originates outwith Scotland.

That was just against minimum pricing. If there is, as has been suggested, certain "brands" that will be subject to minimum pricing, whilst others not, that will cause chaos. The other point is that if there are brewers who send stuff from outside Scotland, that'll start coming to a rapid end as their profits tumble from lack of sales north of the birder. This has a much wider impact on profits and, therefore, jobs in England given that a large percentage of the alcohol sold in Scotland originates outwith Scotland.
But premium brands will always be above the minimum price

If a brand costs less than 50p a unit it shouldn't be allowed to call itself "premium"

Not sure if you're talking about my post but I meant premium as in higher price/luxury brands rather than premium as in alcohol content.

For example Glen's vodka will be impacted but Absolute won't be to anywhere near the same degree.

Said it a while ago the SNP will destroy scotland in time.

Typical middle class left wing attitude of looking down their noses at the working class "you aren't intelligent/responsible enough to handle alcohol so we should make it more difficult for you to buy it"

Im not a big drinker like but let people live how they want. All it'll do is make alcoholics start stealing/mugging to feed their fix like addicts do for their next score. Wouldnt want to be walking down dark alleys in Glasgow...

In principal its a good idea as long as it does not affect the price of regular drinks (ones not aimed at alcoholics) special brew, white lightning etc, serve no other purpose. Hate to see a nice reasonably priced strong real ale to fall into minimum pricing.

Had to do a double take the other day, there was a very respectable looking chap in Sainsburys carrying a dozen special brew to the till. Must have had a proper shite day!:lol:

Said it a while ago the SNP will destroy scotland in time.

Typical middle class left wing attitude of looking down their noses at the working class "you aren't intelligent/responsible enough to handle alcohol so we should make it more difficult for you to buy it"

Im not a big drinker like but let people live how they want. All it'll do is make alcoholics start stealing/mugging to feed their fix like addicts do for their next score. Wouldnt want to be walking down dark alleys in Glasgow...

This chart shows the rate of admissions to hospital that have been caused by alcohol, for England. The rates are sorted by the rate amongst the poorest people, all the way down to the rates amongst the wealthiest people. It shows a perfectly clear social class gradient.

In other words - poor people actually can't handle alcohol. It's poor people who are being admitted to hospital, it's poor people who are dying of liver disease, it's poor people tipping up in A&E absolutely hammered. It isn't 'looking down the nose' it's a reaction to an actual problem.

Logon or register to see this image

This chart shows the rate of admissions to hospital that have been caused by alcohol, for England. The rates are sorted by the rate amongst the poorest people, all the way down to the rates amongst the wealthiest people. It shows a perfectly clear social class gradient.

In other words - poor people actually can't handle alcohol. It's poor people who are being admitted to hospital, it's poor people who are dying of liver disease, it's poor people tipping up in A&E absolutely hammered. It isn't 'looking down the nose' it's a reaction to an actual problem.

Logon or register to see this image

Its a Government thinking they can control the masses when they cant.

Prohibition in the States couldn't control people

Banning drugs (which I fully support) doesnt really work

Increasing the price of booze won't suddenly stop the lower class from buying alochol - they'll either get it from down here making Scotland's economy lose out or for the more criminal element it'll increase the number of shop thefts/ house/car robberies and muggings so they can fund their next bottle of ale.

If they want to stop a drain on the NHS then start charging a small fee for those with health related issues relating to heavy alcoholic/drug/cigarette intake same as those needing A&E treatment due to a boozed up night out.

Last edited:

Increasing the price of booze won't suddenly stop the lower class from buying alochol - they'll either get it from down here making Scotland's economy lose out or for the more criminal element it'll increase the number of shop thefts/ house/car robberies and muggings so they can fund their next bottle of ale.

It has potential drawbacks but it isn’t the conspiracy theory you’re suggesting it is.

It isn’t population control for the sake of it.

Poor people are drinking themselves to death and that’s a fact mate.

If they want to stop a drain on the NHS then start charging a small fee for those with health related issues relating to heavy alcoholic/drug/cigarette intake same as those needing A&E treatment due to a boozed up night out.
This. It's just going to drive it underground play right into the hands of the criminal gangs. They'll have the resources to get loads of vans down to warehouses across the border, buy it dirt cheap and sell it at a slightly higher price (or maybe even equal) to those who are desperate. They get a shitload of easy profit, almost legal, and it solves fuck all.

This. It's just going to drive it underground play right into the hands of the criminal gangs. They'll have the resources to get loads of vans down to warehouses across the border, buy it dirt cheap and sell it at a slightly higher price (or maybe even equal) to those who are desperate. They get a shitload of easy profit, almost legal, and it solves fuck all.
Nail on head - you've already got a hardcore of blokes shifting dodgy ciggies from outside the UK.
Hhow much easier if I can hire a van, head to Carlisle, stock up and go back up the road - even £6 a bottle for shite lightening v £11 at the corner shop will see me quids in

It might. I would expect they’d put provisions in place to manage that.

It’s worth trying. It has worked elsewhere. Crime actually fell

Minimum alcohol pricing cuts serious crime, study reveals

Nail on head - you've already got a hardcore of blokes shifting dodgy ciggies from outside the UK.
Hhow much easier if I can hire a van, head to Carlisle, stock up and go back up the road - even £6 a bottle for shite lightening v £11 at the corner shop will see me quids in
I don't drive, but I'll stick in the cash to hire a big f***ing van,if you're up for it! :lol:

It might. I would expect they’d put provisions in place to manage that.

It’s worth trying. It has worked elsewhere. Crime actually fell

Minimum alcohol pricing cuts serious crime, study reveals
They have a few dedicated courts in Scotland. Youth, drug, domestic abuse are the most used, but Glasgow Sheriff Court is introducing an Alcohol court this month. No one has any idea, as yet, how it's going to operate, but it's a thing!

Last edited:

Back