Minimum alcohol pricing Scotland.

"Inside Out" tonight on BBC1, mentioned on Look North, £4 for a bottle of cider in England, £11.25 in Scotland when minimum pricing comes in.

Interesting what Morrisons at Berwick will be like - vans full of Rab C. lookalikes. Will need a proper border crossing.
Carlisle will be worse than Berwick as the Glaswegians will pile in there.

Had a few threads on it in the past where I’ve let my fairly strong views be known.

I’m behind it, I support it.

It is in effect an experiment. The law reverts back after six years.

Scotland has huge, huge problems with alcohol related morbidity and mortality and I welcome this as a way to combat excessive drinking of cheap booze.

It isn’t without its problems though and it’ll be interesting to see how they manifest and how they’re dealt with.

Had a few threads on it in the past where I’ve let my fairly strong views be known.

Scotland has huge, huge problems with alcohol related morbidity and mortality and I welcome this as a way to combat excessive drinking of cheap booze.

It isn’t without its problems though and it’ll be interesting to see how they manifest and how they’re dealt with.
When are you officially coming out ?

In principal its a good idea as long as it does not affect the price of regular drinks (ones not aimed at alcoholics) special brew, white lightning etc, serve no other purpose. Hate to see a nice reasonably priced strong real ale to fall into minimum pricing.

In principal its a good idea as long as it does not affect the price of regular drinks (ones not aimed at alcoholics) special brew, white lightning etc, serve no other purpose. Hate to see a nice reasonably priced strong real ale to fall into minimum pricing.

Unfortunately there are a lot of middle-income non-alcoholics beginning to suffer from alcohol-related liver disease through excessive consumption.

It is no longer the preserve of the bus-stop cider drinker but rather Wine o’clock on the leafy suburban sofa.

People who drink in moderation will pay a little extra, but the monetary effect on them will be negligible at best.

When are you officially coming out ?

I thought we were making a joint statement babe x

Unfortunately there are a lot of middle-income non-alcoholics beginning to suffer from alcohol-related liver disease through excessive consumption.

It is no longer the preserve of the bus-stop cider drinker but rather Wine o’clock on the leafy suburban sofa.

People who drink in moderation will pay a little extra, but the monetary effect on them will be negligible at best.
I was under the impression that middle income drinkers who like a sup would be barely affected and it really just hit the poorer amongst us?

I was under the impression that middle income drinkers who like a sup would be barely affected and it really just hit the poorer amongst us?

Depends what they’re drinking. Middle income doesn’t necessarily mean they’re drinking middle-priced drinks.

I say middle income because alcoholic liver disease (or at least dying from it) is traditionally a poor person’s disease but mortality from liver disease as I understand it is rising amongst middle income people.

Back