Minimum alcohol pricing Scotland.

"Inside Out" tonight on BBC1, mentioned on Look North, £4 for a bottle of cider in England, £11.25 in Scotland when minimum pricing comes in.

Interesting what Morrisons at Berwick will be like - vans full of Rab C. lookalikes. Will need a proper border crossing.

I live there and shop in Morrisons , will make a change from the coachloads of Chinese tourists that are in every day. Just a shame the only places they ever see in Berwick are Morrisons and McDonalds.

I’m opening a white lightning shop in Berwick.

Plenty empty shops to choose from.

Polls provided by the SNP. We all know how accurate polls are .

No, polls provided by YouGov, not the SNP.

Polls are actually usually very accurate when predicting proportions. You're making the mistake of saying polls are shit because they're not great at predicting the number of seats in parliament. Two different things entirely.

I take it you're one of the typically angry working-class blokes who are absolutely irate they may have to pay a bit more for a drink?

No, polls provided by YouGov, not the SNP.

Polls are actually usually very accurate when predicting proportions. You're making the mistake of saying polls are shit because they're not great at predicting the number of seats in parliament. Two different things entirely.

I take it you're one of the typically angry working-class blokes who are absolutely irate they may have to pay a bit more for a drink?
Sorry mate I cant't help being working class . I'm not angry though cos I can afford all the drink I need .

Sorry mate I cant't help being working class . I'm not angry though cos I can afford all the drink I need .

Then what's the problem?

This is a measure intended to cut down on drinking, and it's the poorest people in society who are drinking themselves to death. How do you stop poor people doing something?

Well you could take the hard route and try and educate people as to the dangers of excessive consumption of alcohol but clearly that's failing, so you take easier and less palatable measures like making alcohol more expensive.

I love drinking - not sure how that adds to the debate mind...

Seriously I'm an advocate of free choice and education not punitive action- we assume that people drinking every day are depressed etc. some of them seem happier that metropolitan elites working 70 hours a week.

Also if average life expectancy keeps increasing someone has to pay for that. I'd rather go out with a bang at 3 score and 10 having enjoyed life, than getting me telegram from the reigning monarch not knowing what my own name is, let alone the king/ queen, dribbling and sh!tting myself in a nursing home.

Then what's the problem?

This is a measure intended to cut down on drinking, and it's the poorest people in society who are drinking themselves to death. How do you stop poor people doing something?

Well you could take the hard route and try and educate people as to the dangers of excessive consumption of alcohol but clearly that's failing, so you take easier and less palatable measures like making alcohol more expensive.
Tell it to the angry working class men of Glezga (in person)

I love drinking - not sure how that adds to the debate mind...

Seriously I'm an advocate of free choice and education not punitive action- we assume that people drinking every day are depressed etc. some of them seem happier that metropolitan elites working 70 hours a week.

Also if average life expectancy keeps increasing someone has to pay for that. I'd rather go out with a bang at 3 score and 10 having enjoyed life, than getting me telegram from the reigning monarch not knowing what my own name is, let alone the king/ queen, dribbling and sh!tting myself in a nursing home.

Education isn't working. People aren't taking responsibility for themselves.

Of the 4,873 deaths in England and Wales in 2016 which listed alcoholic liver disease in section I(a) of the death certificate, 60% came before age 60. Dying from liver disease isn't pretty. If you want to romanticise drinking yourself to death as "going out with a bang at 3 score and 10 having enjoyed life" then by my guest but I wouldn't call being on a palliative care plan in a hospice 'going out with a bang'.

Tell it to the angry working class men of Glezga (in person)

You're not really adding anything to the debate there mate.

Don't want to sound like John Lennon here but I just wish more could be done to tackle the reasons why (some) poor people keep drinking themselves to death, rather than simply trying to ensure that they can't afford to do so and can instead endure their lives without the alcohol to numb it

Fully agree - but tackling the causes is far harder. This is typical of SNP policy - they like blanket bans as it's easy to implement and means they can pretend they've done something wonderful for the "People of Scotland".

Average speed cameras - great - may slow a few folk down and raise a bit of revenue - but it doesn't tackle bad driving which I would argue causes more accidents than doing 80 on the dual carriageway from Aberdeen to Dundee.

Even the proposed smacking ban - it won't help the must vulnerable kids (who are already supposed to be protected by the Law) - it will divert resources to having to investigate every allegation of a smack and could easily make things worse.

That's my enjoyment gan then now that more I love on a morning can of 9% special X

Before gan to graft

Nowt to brag about that Hank.

Education isn't working. People aren't taking responsibility for themselves.

Of the 4,873 deaths in England and Wales in 2016 which listed alcoholic liver disease in section I(a) of the death certificate, 60% came before age 60. Dying from liver disease isn't pretty. If you want to romanticise drinking yourself to death as "going out with a bang at 3 score and 10 having enjoyed life" then by my guest but I wouldn't call being on a palliative care plan in a hospice 'going out with a bang'.

You're not really adding anything to the debate there mate.

You should be a big fan of alcohol Frijj as it may prove the only way you’ll ever get your hole.

Love my beer and love my spirits but all in moderation. Spirits is a rare occurrence and my lager choice is between 4 - 4.5%. Having a four pack of Carling & a couple of sativa joints is the way forward for getting a decent buzz.

I'd hate to be a poor fucker who relies on booze, can't work because of their issues and now has to decide on whether to buy food or alcohol.

Back