minibus overturned tonight on A1 northbound tonight in Yorkshire

Drove down the A1 and M1 yesterday and I'd say 50% of drivers just sit in the middle lane totally oblivious to everything that's going on. I must have undertaken 30 cars as it was quiet and I just sat in the inside lane. Not one of them took any notice of me or moved over after I'd passed. Then there is the other end of the scale with cars going 100mph past other cars doing 60mph. And cars randomly just slowing down or swerving in their lane.

I just drive on high alert the entire time.. I try to stay as far away as I can from other cars

I know Mate.
With a head stuck on with glue and oblivious to what is going on in any of the lanes.
About time the Police switched the bridge sitting with a camera and pull some of these over with a few fines.

Drove down the A1 and M1 yesterday and I'd say 50% of drivers just sit in the middle lane totally oblivious to everything that's going on. I must have undertaken 30 cars as it was quiet and I just sat in the inside lane. Not one of them took any notice of me or moved over after I'd passed. Then there is the other end of the scale with cars going 100mph past other cars doing 60mph. And cars randomly just slowing down or swerving in their lane.

I just drive on high alert the entire time.. I try to stay as far away as I can from other cars
Why didn't you overtake them rather than undertake, which is a bad manouver also.

Why didn't you overtake them rather than undertake, which is a bad manouver also.

Mostly because the fast lane had people flying down at 90/100 every minute or so with it being Sunday afternoon

And Partly because I was just trundling along at 70 and wanted to see if any of them would notice and move over after I passed. There was quite a few cars doing what I was doing

Last time I did a long journey the electronic signs were set to "Don't hog the middle lane".
And there were hundreds of cars still doing it at 50-60mph. :rolleyes:

Last time I did a long journey the electronic signs were set to "Don't hog the middle lane".
And there were hundreds of cars still doing it at 50-60mph. :rolleyes:

I think in itself it's not particularly dangerous (compared to some shit you see) but it just symbolises how little attention people are paying , driving a car at a relatively high speed for miles and miles with absolutely no idea of what is going on around them. Usually with other people in the car with them as they chat away.

Who are these people?! Warwick Davies?! Nee chance I’d be able to stand up. It’s hard enough getting in & out.

We always have loads of lads staying up or kneeling on the chairs, moving around, tunes blasting... Not a care in the world considering we're all canny drink and hurtling down a motorway at 60+mph

Mostly because the fast lane had people flying down at 90/100 every minute or so with it being Sunday afternoon

And Partly because I was just trundling along at 70 and wanted to see if any of them would notice and move over after I passed. There was quite a few cars doing what I was doing
Bad crack that . Never undertake as bad as the middle hogger if not worse

If that’s accurate, wtf is the white car driver playing at ffs?

Not saying this is what happened here but I regularly see people in the fast lane doing 80+ right up someones arse, absolutely no space left.. and the odd time you see the car in front tap the brakes as if to say 'back off'

Stupidity all around
Bad crack that . Never undertake as bad as the middle hogger if not worse

Maybe so but at least I'm 100% aware of every car behind, Infront and to the side of me at all times and purposely try to keep as far away from them as possible

Last edited:
Not saying this is what happened here but I regularly see people in the fast lane doing 80+ right up someones arse, absolutely no space left.. and the odd time you see the car in front tap the brakes as if to say 'back off'

Stupidity all around
The thing is though, this doesn’t even sound like a tap of the brakes (which shouldn’t be done regardless), but it sounds like this was excessive braking which brought them to a near enough complete stop.

Absolute brain dead.

Stupidity all around

Maybe so but at least I'm 100% aware of every car behind, Infront and to the side of me at all times and purposely try to keep as far away from them as possible
As you should be . Add not doing owt stupid like undertaking and youre a knight of the road ....like me 😉

The thing is though, this doesn’t even sound like a tap of the brakes (which shouldn’t be done regardless), but it sounds like this was excessive braking which brought them to a near enough complete stop.

Absolute brain dead.
Might not have been braking. Maybe just took his foot off the pedals and slowed right down.

Might not have been braking. Maybe just took his foot off the pedals and slowed right down.
For the white car to be in the right hand lane and to be coming to almost a stop suggests a fair bit of force applied to the brake pedal.

Unless they took their foot off the gas travelling uphill, but even so that will take a fair bit of time to go from 75ish to near 0, surely should be aware of a big drop off speed.

The white car then apparently drives off after the accident. Something doesn’t sit right with me with the driver of this white car like.

True, but I make a judgement call based on me being in the inside lane at 70/75, someone plodding along in the middle lane at 60/65 and cars flying down the outside lane at 85+... The safest option is the undertake. In my opinion
Not if one of those inattentive buggers in the middle lane wakes up with a start and decides to move over without checking mirror because theyve never passed nowt and its illegal for anyone faster to undertake them . Nowt as unpredictable as folk .

Back