Millennial Couple Cycle Through ISIS Territory to Prove ‘Humans Are Kind’ and Get Killed

In the name of Whoever.
A photo of the couple is doing the rounds on a damp Spanish day. If you look at it there is the name of a Mirador ( vantage point) and there they are grinning into the camera. The mirador looks onto where I live and where they are is where I drive to, to take the dogs for a walk in the a nearby forest.
This is a small World- could have easily just spent a few minutes having a chat on any other day with them if our paths had crossed.

According to snopes the headline is a little misleading :-

"Based on their own written reflections posted during their trip, Austin and Geoghegan were not acting as liberal, idealist missionaries, despite the impression that the Pluralist headline might have created. Like many tourists who traveled beyond their own cultural comfort zones, they appeared to have been simply struck by the generosity and thoughtfulness they encountered, just as they took note of moments of hostility or unhelpfulness"

And regarding "ISIS" territory

"At the time Austin and Geoghegan visited Tajikistan, the U.S. State Department listed the country as a relatively low-risk destination for American travelers, giving it a Level 1 “travel advisory” (the lowest available) which comes with advice to “exercise normal precautions.”

On the risk posed by terrorism, the State Department web site advised:

While terrorist organizations are known to have a presence in the region, terrorist attacks have been infrequent in recent years and focused on local government targets, such as law enforcement and security services.

(Since the fatal attack on Austin and Geoghegan, the State Department has upgraded their Tajikistan travel advisory to Level 2, warning would-be travellers to “exercise increased caution.”)"

I think this is a common theme these days where the headline is not supported by the underlying test (two other tourists were also killed at the same time)

There’s some minging comments here like, folk just can’t wait to stick the boot into a young couple who were murdered doing what they loved. People only reading the shit headline and jumping in and assuming they cycled straight through bloody Kandahar man :rolleyes:

There’s some minging comments here like, folk just can’t wait to stick the boot into a young couple who were murdered doing what they loved. People only reading the shit headline and jumping in and assuming they cycled straight through bloody Kandahar man :rolleyes:

Must admit when I read the headline, my first thought was they asked for it. But reading a bit further they were in Tajikistan, which obviously isn’t ISIS territory and had no warnings from either the foreign office nor the American equivalent.

Sounds like they (and the others that were murdered) were unlucky rather than irresponsible.

Sadly all to common these days, people seem to jump in based on the headline and not bother actually reading or finding anything else out about it

They were in Tajikistan. Not IS territory

I know people who know them sadly

Sad but they got exactly what their idiocy and stupidity deserved.

Thankfully no military life was lost or resource wasted in trying to save them had they been captured & held hostage.
They weren’t in IS territory at all so don’t talk shit

I'm sorry like, but cycling through a terrorist hotbed is asking for trouble and dumb as fuck.
It’s not a terrorist hotbed for fucks sake

Last edited:
(Since the fatal attack on Austin and Geoghegan, the State Department has upgraded their Tajikistan travel advisory to Level 2, warning would-be travellers to “exercise increased caution.”)"
Thats how it works. At one time travellers were welcomed in Afghanistan. Any American that visits or has visited since the 90s can expect to be killed.

He was a vegan but she was only vegetarian. Bet there was some right royal bust ups at meal times
Dont get this vegan veggie crusade, surely vegetables should have some rights anarl. A lass in one of our office chomps on a raw carrot every bloody morning, at least when I am tucking into my bacon sarnie, the unfortunate animal has been dead for some time. The carrot god bless it is still alive, there are some cruel feckers in this world.

Back