Midwife

Ffs I’m not having a go at midwives I’m having a go at the fkn stupid world we live in now!
A midwife is a fkn midwife
A batsmen is a fkn batsmen
A MOTM is a fkn MAN of the match
Some right fkn FANNIIES on here
I'm reading this post ^ and finding it hard to disagree

Shocking we're still allowed to say Manchester tbh.
Manholes are out btw - it’s “ Inspection Chamber”*

I recall I tagged “Master Bedroom” on a house type drawing and some loon from HR complained that it had “ connotations of male dominance and reinforced patriarchal society “

* Billy Connolly said he would still call it a manhole until he actually witnessed a woman crawling out of one .

Those old established favourites Dick and Fanny will have to go ……. I ll miss them , especially the latter .

( I wonder if a married couple were ever called Dick and Fanny Smethurst or summat?)

So it’s ok to say midwife but you can’t say batsmen🤷‍♂️
Ban me now ffs
Midwife comes from Old English mid (="with", like the modern German mit) + wife (in the old sense meaning any woman, not necessarily married). A midwife (of any gender) is called a midwife because they are with the woman who's giving birth, not because they're a woman themselves.

No-one says you can't say batsman, but batter seems to be a fairly innocuous alternative, with the added bonus of corresponding better with bowler and fielder. I still say batsman, even in women's cricket. I can tell you right now that not a single person has ever been offended by this in my presence.

Merry Christmas. 🎄

Back