Microwave Ovens

Status
Not open for further replies.

Being very busy people we make up chillis/currys etc and freeze them for later.
Same with chicken dinners etc that we heat left overs for the kids next day.
And the bairns love a bit warm milk.

I actually need to buy one today.

Great for cooking all types of veg, very quick for that and keeps them all crisp instead of boiling them away in a pan to mush...
The other thing I use it a lot for and already mentioned, is rice... great for that and comes out pretty much perfect every time without having to look after it on a stove etc...

Morning all,

Been quite a bit discussion at work this week about the need or want of a microwave.It was prompted by the tiler who was working at mine raking about for a microwave and was shocked when told we didn’t have one.
I’m guessing most on here have a one and will be quite happy to tell me what I’m missing but I’ve yet to hear an argument for one.Some of the uses spouted are;

warm beans up(no need when you have a pan and a 7 burner hob)

Make porridge in (only P.O.W eat porridge)

Warm stuff up previously cooked(lazy and doesn’t taste right at all,Sunday dinners being the worst thing I’ve ever tasted warmed up)

Make a cup of coffee (WTF?)

The lads of all ages jumping to the defence of microwaved meals etc had one thing in common;their wives lived on Facebook.

I’m a traditionalist at heart and a bit of a romantic and expect things to be done in the correct manner,warming gear up in the microwave is one of the most brutal things I’ve ever tasted.I won’t have one in the house.

Moved out when I was 17. I'm 32 now and I've never owned one.

Never once in 15 years have I ever thought 'I wish I had a microwave'.

We don't have one. It's handy for reheating things, can be done in a pan but that's just that wee bit messier.

Main thing I miss it for is whacking a potato in before baking it in the oven. Can't be arsed with the wait cooking it from scratch in the oven.

Morning all,

Been quite a bit discussion at work this week about the need or want of a microwave.It was prompted by the tiler who was working at mine raking about for a microwave and was shocked when told we didn’t have one.
I’m guessing most on here have a one and will be quite happy to tell me what I’m missing but I’ve yet to hear an argument for one.Some of the uses spouted are;

warm beans up(no need when you have a pan and a 7 burner hob)

Make porridge in (only P.O.W eat porridge)

Warm stuff up previously cooked(lazy and doesn’t taste right at all,Sunday dinners being the worst thing I’ve ever tasted warmed up)

Make a cup of coffee (WTF?)

The lads of all ages jumping to the defence of microwaved meals etc had one thing in common;their wives lived on Facebook.

I’m a traditionalist at heart and a bit of a romantic and expect things to be done in the correct manner,warming gear up in the microwave is one of the most brutal things I’ve ever tasted.I won’t have one in the house.
And they fry humans. Never be in the same room as one when it’s going.

Great for cooking all types of veg, very quick for that and keeps them all crisp instead of boiling them away in a pan to mush...
The other thing I use it a lot for and already mentioned, is rice... great for that and comes out pretty much perfect every time without having to look after it on a stove etc...

Rice is best cooked in a clay pot through the oven.

Scratter here. I eat porridge for breakfast and sometimes I cook double portions of meals and freeze half to warm up on days when I'm busy or unwell. The bairn uses it for warming milk up for hot chocolate.

All of these and defrosting if I've not planned things properly. Left over pasta, risotto, curry, etc. Warming the pasta through in a pan would just dry the sauce and leave half of it stuck to the pan. We don't use it to "make" meals but it's a much used item.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back