Microwave Ovens

Morning all,

Been quite a bit discussion at work this week about the need or want of a microwave.It was prompted by the tiler who was working at mine raking about for a microwave and was shocked when told we didn’t have one.
I’m guessing most on here have a one and will be quite happy to tell me what I’m missing but I’ve yet to hear an argument for one.Some of the uses spouted are;

warm beans up(no need when you have a pan and a 7 burner hob)

Make porridge in (only P.O.W eat porridge)

Warm stuff up previously cooked(lazy and doesn’t taste right at all,Sunday dinners being the worst thing I’ve ever tasted warmed up)

Make a cup of coffee (WTF?)

The lads of all ages jumping to the defence of microwaved meals etc had one thing in common;their wives lived on Facebook.

I’m a traditionalist at heart and a bit of a romantic and expect things to be done in the correct manner,warming gear up in the microwave is one of the most brutal things I’ve ever tasted.I won’t have one in the house.

I never had one and wouldn’t have one if it wasn’t used for heating up the youngests meals.

She (1 y/o) gets homemade meals, every meal of the day but they are cooked in batches and frozen.

Takes two minutes to warm up in the microwave and it’s only small portions so not worth hoying in the oven and it takes a lot longer in hot water.

Will get rid when it’s knackered and not get another.
Use mine mainly to warm me git wass cup of scad up when I've forgotten about it and it's gone a bit tepid. Be fucked if I'm letting a tea bag gan to waste.
I’d make fresh again.

We bought a new kettle recently which made the water taste like plastic. So I took to warming water in a mug to make a coffee. Kettle situation is fixed now.

Steaming the likes of green beans, reheating half the meal you made the night before if you make double or use a slow cooker, popcorn. If you know how to cook they can be useful.

I'm with the OP... I could easily live without a Microwave. I use it for warming milk to make the bairn cocoa, and that is literally it. It cost a fortune a few years ago, and thats all its used for. It has a thousand settings and I use it to warm milk. It could go for me.

Morning all,

Been quite a bit discussion at work this week about the need or want of a microwave.It was prompted by the tiler who was working at mine raking about for a microwave and was shocked when told we didn’t have one.
I’m guessing most on here have a one and will be quite happy to tell me what I’m missing but I’ve yet to hear an argument for one.Some of the uses spouted are;

Warm stuff up previously cooked(lazy and doesn’t taste right at all,Sunday dinners being the worst thing I’ve ever tasted warmed up)

The lads of all ages jumping to the defence of microwaved meals etc had one thing in common;their wives lived on Facebook.

I’m a traditionalist at heart and a bit of a romantic and expect things to be done in the correct manner,warming gear up in the microwave is one of the most brutal things I’ve ever tasted.I won’t have one in the house.
Never used ours til the bairns came. Use it for heating up the milk and that's it. Even to defrost stuff I just whack it in a pan.

Morning all,

I'm with you on this! We don't have one either. Been with my husband nearly 20 years and apart from maybe a year or so at the start where his mam might have given us her old one (which we later got rid of), we've been microwave free and proud. There is literally no need for one when you have an oven, hob, and kettle already in the kitchen. In fact we didn't have a toaster until a couple of years ago as just used the grill!

Could easily live without one but no point. It makes heating up things a bit easier/quicker if you are short of time so why not?
I'm with you on this! We don't have one either. Been with my husband nearly 20 years and apart from maybe a year or so at the start where his mam might have given us her old one (which we later got rid of), we've been microwave free and proud. There is literally no need for one when you have an oven, hob, and kettle already in the kitchen. In fact we didn't have a toaster until a couple of years ago as just used the grill!
Proud. :lol:

When we got ours it was also a grill and oven. Probably use the grill more than the microwave. It heats stuff much better if you use in oven and microwave in combination.

Back