Michelin Star Restaurants

Congratulations, you must be very proud. A star next year?
thanks mate and I am! it's a great restaurant to work for and I've got a great team (including the mrs who's a sous chef). we're not the sort of place that would get a star unfortunately, we're not a fancy fine dining place so getting and retaining a bib gourmand is the best we can hope for - still a massive achievement mind!

thanks mate and I am! it's a great restaurant to work for and I've got a great team (including the mrs who's a sous chef). we're not the sort of place that would get a star unfortunately, we're not a fancy fine dining place so getting and retaining a bib gourmand is the best we can hope for - still a massive achievement mind!
You can get a star, don't put yourself down.
"A Michelin Star is awarded for the food on the plate – nothing else. The style of a restaurant and its degree of formality or informality have no bearing whatsoever on the award."
- from Michelin.

And congrats on the Bib Gourmand.

Nearest thing Ive had to a top end tasting menu was at Yorbridge House Restaurant

Was a few quid with wine, and I can honestly say this whole tasting menu thing is a load of shite, as much as I like food and the taste of things, there nothing worth the money.

Prefer a burger and a few pints in a country pub rather than pretentious shite.

Last edited:
Nearest thing Ive had to a top end tasting menu was at Yorbridge House Restaurant

Was a few quid with wine, and I can honestly say this whole tasting menu thing is a load of shite, as much as I like food and the taste of things, there nothing worth the money.

Prefer a burger and a few pints in a country pub rather than pretentious shite.
The burger must be served on a plank though.

Just been to the Old Stamp House in Ambleside.

Could not fault it
I want to go there as it looked awesome when it was featured by Tom Kerridge in his hospitality programme last year on the BBC. The kitchen is stupidly small which proves, I suppose, that it’s the chef not the facility that makes great food.
Kerridge programme here BBC Two - The Hidden World of Hospitality with Tom Kerridge, Series 1, Star Quality, A Michelin-starred restaurant with a tiny kitchen

Don’t get the people who come on this Michelin Star restaurant thread to complain that Michelin star food isn’t worth it or that it’s pretentious shite etc etc etc.

It has about as much value as me going in a thread about best lagers or beers and saying, I don’t drink so all lager is shite and all who buy it are wasting their money.
Got Myse booked for March, they’ve just got a star 👌

Just looked at a sample menu. Looks excellent - going to book.

Last edited:
Don’t get the people who come on this Michelin Star restaurant thread to complain that Michelin star food isn’t worth it or that it’s pretentious shite etc etc etc.

It has about as much value as me going in a thread about best lagers or beers and saying, I don’t drink so all lager is shite and all who buy it are wasting their money.

It’s the SMB mate people can’t help themselves.

We went before the Christmas and had a similar experience. Left a bit confused how it had been awarded two stars.

For the money I thought solstice blew it out of the water.
We preferred Solstice. Been to Raby Hunt a few times when they had the one star and felt the food was better then.
We went on the 21st Jan which was our third time of visiting. Not as good in many ways. It’s almost as if they’d given up and were coasting rather than going out with a bang.
Yeah, we thought similar. And you know it's going to cost but the cheapest bottle of wine was 70 quid.

Last edited:

It's a forum so you should expect differing opinions!
I like good food and Angels at Ribchester is excellent but now that I'm retired (apart from special occasions) we only go when they have
the midweek half price menu which for £30 is excellent value.

If money was no object I would try a lot of the high end places mentioned on here but even then
I would draw the line at somewhere like l'enclume £540 for a meal with "select" wine pairing, is just obscene inmho.

Ps. Scholars college restaurant Blackburn £14 for a superb 3 course lunch is worth a visit, not for the pretentious though.

It's a forum so you should expect differing opinions!
I like good food and Angels at Ribchester is excellent but now that I'm retired (apart from special occasions) we only go when they have
the midweek half price menu which for £30 is excellent value.

If money was no object I would try a lot of the high end places mentioned on here but even then
I would draw the line at somewhere like l'enclume £540 for a meal with "select" wine pairing, is just obscene inmho.

Ps. Scholars college restaurant Blackburn £14 for a superb 3 course lunch is worth a visit, not for the pretentious though.
I was looking at the Angels menu this week as they are having a reduced cost three courses for a couple of nights. I keep forget about trying to book Scholars. Have you been to The Three Fishes (Nigel Haworth’s place)? They have a £39 four course midweek option currently running.

Back