Michael Schumacher

Just started f1 drive to survive on Netflix and it got me thinking about Schumacher. 8 years on from his accident and hardly any real update on him. Obviously a tragic accident and it must be utterly heartbreaking for him and his family.
Will we ever see him again in public?

I very much doubt it.
He was in a medically induced coma for 6 months after the accident.

I imagine the poor bloke will be a shadow of his former self.

Just started f1 drive to survive on Netflix and it got me thinking about Schumacher. 8 years on from his accident and hardly any real update on him. Obviously a tragic accident and it must be utterly heartbreaking for him and his family.
Will we ever see him again in public?
I highly doubt it, we don't even really know his condition but I fear he's in a vegetative state.

It's a strange one isn't it? I was watching a World Cup 2006 video the other night and saw Schumacher in the crowd at one of the Germany games which got me thinking about it too.

It would be nice for his fans to know how he is doing and he has a huge amount of supporters across the globe but obviously he and his family are entitled to their privacy too.

Given the lack of updates, you can only presume the worst. Pure speculation but I would guess he's in a vegetative state.

On a side note his son is now in F1 too. This is his debut season. Sad to think his father may never even really know.

Last edited:
It's a strange one isn't it? I was watching a World Cup 2006 video the other night and saw Schumacher in the crowd at one of the Germany games which got me thinking about it too.

It would be nice for his fans to know how he is doing and he has a huge amount of supporters across the globe but obviously he and his family are entitled to their privacy too.

Given the lack of updates, you can only presume the worst. Pure speculation but I would guess he's in a vegetative state.

On a side note his son is now in F1 too. This is his debut season. Sad to think his father may never even really know.
Latest update was from last year where some head of the F1 was saying they were watching F1 together on the tele and he was improving.

Sounds like he's unable to speak though or walk, reading between the lines.

That’s got to be rubbish surely? He was the highest paid sportsman in the world.
This. And surely if the care runs into millions and they don't have millions left then they would change the care to suit.

Don't want to sound insensitive but there are people in vegetative states all over the world and it doesn't cost millions to care for any of them.

I know it's the family's choice to keep everything private, but at the same time it reinforces to the taboo about brain injuries, and gives the impression that there's something shameful about his predicament.

Eddie Kidd, by contrast, remained in the public eye after his accident, which I am sure gave encouragement to victims and their families in the same situation.

Given Schumacher's high profile prior to his accident, I think they should have been more open about his condition, and perhaps even released the occasional photograph.

This. And surely if the care runs into millions and they don't have millions left then they would change the care to suit.

Don't want to sound insensitive but there are people in vegetative states all over the world and it doesn't cost millions to care for any of them.
Think from what I've read that a lot is to do with the treatment they are trying stem cell research etc...plus the care for him will be 24/7 - they will have the best of the best looking after him - it soon adds up unfortunately.
Hope he he recovers someday to a decent standard but not sure if will happen

Think from what I've read that a lot is to do with the treatment they are trying stem cell research etc...plus the care for him will be 24/7 - they will have the best of the best looking after him - it soon adds up unfortunately.
Hope he he recovers someday to a decent standard but not sure if will happen
Well if they've got the money. Any family would do the same. I hope he pulls through as well. Spent many a Sunday with my dad when I was young watching the grand prix and Schumacher is like an icon of the era I watched. My dad hated him but I thought he was great.

I know it's the family's choice to keep everything private, but at the same time it reinforces to the taboo about brain injuries, and gives the impression that there's something shameful about his predicament.

Eddie Kidd, by contrast, remained in the public eye after his accident, which I am sure gave encouragement to victims and their families in the same situation.

Given Schumacher's high profile prior to his accident, I think they should have been more open about his condition, and perhaps even released the occasional photograph.
I think photographs may be a bit much, but an interview with the wife every year as an update on his condition doesn't seem to be asking alot, especially as it is the chance to inspire others if he makes progress
Well if they've got the money. Any family would do the same. I hope he pulls through as well. Spent many a Sunday with my dad when I was young watching the grand prix and Schumacher is like an icon of the era I watched. My dad hated him but I thought he was great.
He's my favourite and my dad's second behind senna (Im too young to see his races at the time)

Last edited:
I think photographs may be a bit much, but an interview with the wife every year as an update on his condition doesn't seem to be asking alot, especially as it is the chance to inspire others if he makes progress

He's my favourite and my dad's second behind senna (Im too young to see his races at the time)
Senna will always be me and my dad's favourite. We watched the race where he died, I was 8 years old. It was shocking to me, I'd never realised people you watch on the tele could die. I think the first time I remember was when Freddie Mercury died, I was only 5 but still remember my dad saying come and watch the news, we both love Queen and it was listening to Freddie that got me into singing eventually and being in bands and stuff.

Back