Michael Schumacher

Well if they've got the money. Any family would do the same. I hope he pulls through as well. Spent many a Sunday with my dad when I was young watching the grand prix and Schumacher is like an icon of the era I watched. My dad hated him but I thought he was great.

I remember watching him and hating him, things like when he tried to take out Hill and Villeneuve because that would mean the title was decided or when he parked it at Monaco so no one could better his fastest lap in quali. But I would never have wished this on him. I have no more information to go on than anyone else, but I guess that he isn't able to walk or talk, and what communication he can do is quite primitive. I doubt we'll ever see him in public again to be honest, which is a shame, I thought he would have made an excellent team boss.

It's a strange one isn't it? I was watching a World Cup 2006 video the other night and saw Schumacher in the crowd at one of the Germany games which got me thinking about it too.

It would be nice for his fans to know how he is doing and he has a huge amount of supporters across the globe but obviously he and his family are entitled to their privacy too.

Given the lack of updates, you can only presume the worst. Pure speculation but I would guess he's in a vegetative state.

On a side note his son is now in F1 too. This is his debut season. Sad to think his father may never even really know.
I think Mick was asked by some tabloid journo in an early press conference if his dad was excited about his debut and he understandably refused to answer.

Sure I read some where that they're worried about him and his family financially. Think his care is into the millions €.

So sad.

He was close to being a billionaire.
I know they sold one of their holiday homes last year to pay for costs, not sure how long it will last
They sold that as it was unused for the last 7 years
I know it's the family's choice to keep everything private, but at the same time it reinforces to the taboo about brain injuries, and gives the impression that there's something shameful about his predicament.

Eddie Kidd, by contrast, remained in the public eye after his accident, which I am sure gave encouragement to victims and their families in the same situation.

Given Schumacher's high profile prior to his accident, I think they should have been more open about his condition, and perhaps even released the occasional photograph.

I know it's the family's choice to keep everything private, but at the same time it reinforces to the taboo about brain injuries, and gives the impression that there's something shameful about his predicament.

Eddie Kidd, by contrast, remained in the public eye after his accident, which I am sure gave encouragement to victims and their families in the same situation.

Given Schumacher's high profile prior to his accident, I think they should have been more open about his condition, and perhaps even released the occasional photograph.
Germans have a very different view on privacy.

The paps don't get away with half the shit they do here or in Trumpistan
Well if they've got the money. Any family would do the same. I hope he pulls through as well. Spent many a Sunday with my dad when I was young watching the grand prix and Schumacher is like an icon of the era I watched. My dad hated him but I thought he was great.
I love F1 but stopped watching it altogether when he was winning nearly every race.

The man was a shameless liar and cheat

Last edited:

I remember Eddie Kidd happening at the bulldog bash. Sure that event was cursed with that and the Hells Angels murder

He was close to being a billionaire.

They sold that as it was unused for the last 7 years

Germans have a very different view on privacy.

The paps don't get away with half the shit they do here or in Trumpistan

I love F1 but stopped watching it altogether when he was winning nearly every race.

The man was a shameless liar and cheat
I pretty much stopped watching all together after Austria incident with Rubens

The family stopped all communication after a journalist sneaked into his room in the hospital. Dressed as a priest I believe. I can understand why they stopped it at first but I thought they would have given some updates again after.

The thing that worries me about him is how people refer to him. I’ve listened to lots of interviews from drivers, his manager, people who worked with him. They all seem to refer to him in the paste tense:

He was a great driver
He was a friend

As though, although he’s alive, they might not consider him the same personality any more.

Yeah it was pretty boring. Not only that but also look at the Hill, Villeneuve and Rubens (nearly had him on wall) incidents.
Aye pretty much put me off all together, watched parts on 2006 when Alonso won again and then 2007 a certain young a Brit peaked my interest again, been watching F1 since late 80’s and those 5 years of Ferrari dominance and how they competed put me right off

Aye pretty much put me off all together, watched parts on 2006 when Alonso won again and then 2007 a certain young a Brit peaked my interest again, been watching F1 since late 80’s and those 5 years of Ferrari dominance and how they competed put me right off
Seemed longer than that. I got into it after Sennas fatal crash. Loved that season other than that, really thought Damon was going to do it. Also loved Villeneuve and Hakkinen. But after those it became terrible. Until Lewis came along.

This. And surely if the care runs into millions and they don't have millions left then they would change the care to suit.

Don't want to sound insensitive but there are people in vegetative states all over the world and it doesn't cost millions to care for any of them.
If you're trying oxygen tank therapy at home and building a staffed unit at home in the hope that that will make a difference in recovery in the early days I think millions is a fairly conservative estimate.

the last thing I read about Schuey was that he sits by the window looking out and crying :confused:

If you're trying oxygen tank therapy at home and building a staffed unit at home in the hope that that will make a difference in recovery in the early days I think millions is a fairly conservative estimate.

the last thing I read about Schuey was that he sits by the window looking out and crying :confused:
Where did you read that

Sounds awful to be honest. But then at least he has some kind of self awareness. I'm not sure if that would be worse actually.

Never liked him as a kid because he won all the time and it was boring. Yet Hamilton is effectively doing the same thing now and I think its class, probably because hes British.

Mick did say on the podium when Hamilton took the wins record from his Dad that his Dad said he wanted that particular helmet to be passed to Hamilton, so imagine he can communicate by some means or another

I think its down to their rights. If they want to be private then nobody has the god given right to make them go public.

Back