Mexico City

To cut a long story short, I've to go to Mexico City for 2 weeks in mid June to attend an Embassy meeting in order to get into the US.

I'll be staying in an area around Santa Anita/Jardin Balbuena (probably useless/pointless information) but any help would be very much appreciated as I've never been to Mexico before.

Rough as owt, avoid the metro system as they will have your kidneys out to get your wallet

Fuck sake, I heard it wasn't great but that's mental (not surprising either mind)

The hotel I've booked has a restaurant, pool, gym etc so at least I can keep busy in the complex from day to day as opposed to being the typical tourist and being out of hotel at 8am and not back until all hours.

Would parts of the city be fine without having to watch over your shoulder for even petty crime?

Fuck sake, I heard it wasn't great but that's mental (not surprising either mind)

The hotel I've booked has a restaurant, pool, gym etc so at least I can keep busy in the complex from day to day as opposed to being the typical tourist and being out of hotel at 8am and not back until all hours.

Would parts of the city be fine without having to watch over your shoulder for even petty crime?

have to be honest we stayed there for two nights on a Scotland trip so I’m certainly no tripadvisor guru, there was a decent crowd of us, one lad got dipped and lost his wallet, another lad who stayed after we left got mugged on the metro.
I didn’t really think there was much to do touristy wise, Missus wanted to see the James Bond hotel and that was about it, the rest of the time we just drank in pubs/restaurants.

To cut a long story short, I've to go to Mexico City for 2 weeks in mid June to attend an Embassy meeting in order to get into the US.

I'll be staying in an area around Santa Anita/Jardin Balbuena (probably useless/pointless information) but any help would be very much appreciated as I've never been to Mexico before.

It's a great city, there's loads of tourist things to see and do. Obviously the usual safety things apply for being a tourist in poor countries but I've been there for a few days on three separate occasions and never had any problems (including using the metro). Main thing is probably be careful with taxis, get the hotel to book them for you rather than hailing them and if they still have the beetle taxis don't get in one.

Lots of stuff to see round the Zocalo: Templo Mayor, National Palace, Palacio de Bellas Artes. Trip to Teotihuacan is a must.

Trip to Teotihuacan is a must.
Definitely do that. Increyable. They used to let you walk up and down the pyramids like a king but I expect they've stopped that now.

Some really good museums in Mexico City too. It is a bit rough.

Lots of bars put ice and limes in their urinals which I appreciated when I was pissing out my coronas and margaritas.

We did the Chichen itza tour when we were in Mexico, our tour he goes

"So, I guess you've heard apparently how dangerous Mexico is? the gangs, the violence, drugs, the narcos, drug cartels chopping people up and leaving them on the motorways.......yes, all of it is true!"

We were expecting him to say , no, it's not that bad.

I reckon he terrified a few of the kids 😂

When I was there there was actually a cartel killing

I'd rang my mam to see if she'd heard and I was safe in case she was worried, she said she hadn't but was now terrified!

Definitely do that. Increyable. They used to let you walk up and down the pyramids like a king but I expect they've stopped that now.

Some really good museums in Mexico City too. It is a bit rough.

Lots of bars put ice and limes in their urinals which I appreciated when I was pissing out my coronas and margaritas.

Still could last time I was there in 2012, don't know if that's still the case.

Good shout on the museums, the main museum of anthropology is amazing, could easily spend a couple of days in there. @IrishMackem88 definitely worth visiting this one.

Back