Mexico City

Have spent 6 months or so in Mexico City across 3 trips.

It's a good place, nothing like anywhere I've experienced in Europe. Teotichuacan for pyramids and anthropogie museum are both fantastic. Also just finding your way round the city and the chaos.

I also watched a Club America's vs Cruz Azul derby game which was pretty tasty (and shocking standard).

Nights out are fun, good restaurants and bars but keep your wits about you.

Stay out of the dubious areas as well and keep your doors locked and windows up in the car.

Have spent 6 months or so in Mexico City across 3 trips.

It's a good place, nothing like anywhere I've experienced in Europe. Teotichuacan for pyramids and anthropogie museum are both fantastic. Also just finding your way round the city and the chaos.

I also watched a Club America's vs Cruz Azul derby game which was pretty tasty (and shocking standard).

Nights out are fun, good restaurants and bars but keep your wits about you.

Stay out of the dubious areas as well and keep your doors locked and windows up in the car.
so a bit like Ford Estate?

Get tooled up, don't piss off a cartel member, get a notepad and pen then watch "Sicario" and take notes, best of british old chap đź“ťđź‘Ť

To cut a long story short, I've to go to Mexico City for 2 weeks in mid June to attend an Embassy meeting in order to get into the US.

I'll be staying in an area around Santa Anita/Jardin Balbuena (probably useless/pointless information) but any help would be very much appreciated as I've never been to Mexico before.
Seriously keep your wits about you. Life’s cheap there. Not even joking.

Spent a week there and had a brilliant time. Stayed right at the heart of it in the Centro HistĂłrico about three minutes walk from the Zocalo, so most of my recs are there. You've got the Templo Mayor right there, and the national palace and cathedral on two sides. Spent a lot of time just wandering around there, people watching and soaking up the atmosphere, sitting in cafe/bar just watching the world go by, felt safe as anything.

Templo Mayor great for Aztec history and an actual temple right there in the heart of the city, Palacio de Bellas Artes for arts and museum and a beautiful building, top of Torre Latinoamericana which is low by most standards but you get a stunning view of just how f***ing big the city is because it's so flat, some great tacquerias but I can't remember which ones we went to, Cafe de Tacuba for lunch and mariachi, La Opera Bar for proper old school bar with a bullet hole from Pancho Villa getting pissed and shooting his gun into the ceiling, taciturn waiters and some great tequilas/mescals.

In terms of safety, I was fortunate enough to have an interpreter because of what I was there for and here's what she advised, mostly standard stuff: ubers rather than taxis, do not drink tap water, be aware of where you are and what the next street is like as well as the one you're on, do not walk around with your phone in your hand, expect that someone may try to lift wallet/phone on metro so stash away accordingly (and indeed, one of the other people I was there with had his phone taken out of a case he had on his belt, with neither him nor any of us noticing, if you get in trouble tell 'em your cousin is Ernesto Bewick.

Had a blast, and one of the most surreal evenings of my life: at a party thrown by the Minister for Culture, in his house in the middle of a racetrack with bullet holes up the wall from the revolution, drinking very expensive mescal and eating great food with a bunch of artists, writers, journalists and a stunningly beautiful Cuban choreographer. Me and the other English writer there (the one who lost his phone) looked at each other at one point and just said: how the fuck did we end up here.

Hope you have a great time. I did.

Appreciate all the advice lads, especially about the salad (can never been too safe around leafy salad)

Flights booked, Embassy Meeting sorted etc just sold my car yesterday and handed in my notice too so it's all starting to get very real.

Touchwood the interview goes well now, after dropping everything here in Ireland to go to Mexico on a whim I'm hoping it works out.

Appreciate all the advice lads, especially about the salad (can never been too safe around leafy salad)

Flights booked, Embassy Meeting sorted etc just sold my car yesterday and handed in my notice too so it's all starting to get very real.

Touchwood the interview goes well now, after dropping everything here in Ireland to go to Mexico on a whim I'm hoping it works out.
Good luck. Hope it all goes well.

Is the OP a question or a statement or a brag or what?

Most definitely not a brag anyway, spending two weeks on your own in Mexico City in the middle of a pandemic isn't exactly ideal.

At the same time, seeing as I've never been there before getting advice on what to do/where to avoid etc was most welcome.

Back