Mercury Music Prize

Status
Not open for further replies.
Idles, Foals, 1975, Fontaines DC, Black Midi nominated amongst others. Idles are favourites but I'd like to see Fontaines win. But I have a feeling it will be someone like Slowthai, Little Sims or Dave who will win it in the way the judges always seem to pick a bit of a curevball

I saw Little Simz in May in London and she was great. Not really my thing but it was an excellent gig and thoroughly deserved if she wins.

I only opened the thread to say "never heard of any of them", but I've heard of (and heard) Idles, Foals, 1975, Fontaines DC and Dave.

:cool:

Was hugely unimpressed by Fontaines DC. It has been hyped to insane levels over the last few months and though it sounded like my kind of thing. Just cant get on board with the shouty-speaky stuff though

I only opened the thread to say "never heard of any of them", but I've heard of (and heard) Idles, Foals, 1975, Fontaines DC and Dave.

:cool:
It's not a bad list this year tbf
I saw Little Simz in May in London and she was great. Not really my thing but it was an excellent gig and thoroughly deserved if she wins.
I quite like that single, I'll have to give the album a spin
Ive seen 3 of the first 4 and have a ticket for Fontaines dc.
I'm going to the Newcastle gig (which is now sold out)

Last edited:
Best list in years (possibly over a decade).
Agree with that, Slowthai and idles are the ones I've listened to the most over the year but I think black midi will win, just feels like the most "Mercury" album the way it blends so many musical styles. Dave and Fontaine DC's are probably the best albums this year in their relevant genres but not stand out enough for the prize in my opinion.

Should have been Simz but not gonna complain at Dave winning, great great album. Best year for hip hop in Great Britain in a long time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back