Mensi of The Upstarts - RIP

Seen them at Independent two and a bit years ago..tremendous..loud like..seen them once in the Old 29..Saturday afternoon before the match..Coventry at home..hope he pulls through..🙏🏻
Was at the independent and might have been at the old 29 that time although they did play there a couple of times before games.

They must have played the Old 29 a canny few times (or my memory is worse than I thought). I think I once saw them in there and didn't even know they were on. All these people from my youth can pack in dying, like.

Was talking to him a few years ago after the match, they’d just been on a European tour and was telling me bits and bobs on how it went. Walking past the Wheatsheaf pub the Upstarts was blasting out and he didn’t know where to look 😂

Aw shit..really thought he’d pull through..been in his company a few times and used to see him in the Blue Bell after matches at Roker..RIP Mensi.

RIP Mensi. Sat next to him at the match. He was good craic. Seen the last picture of him in some kind of breathing hood and looked in a bad way. Got a young son too :-(

"Just gone on Facebook to see that Mensi of the Angelic Upstarts has died of covid. Proper larger than life character and committed antifascist. RIP."

On twitter!

Back