Meadow Well Riots

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lived in a flat up Arthur's Hill. There was a distinct burning smell for a couple of mornings although the main action was deeper in the West End. Although it was handy for nights out at the time it was probably the worst place I ever lived. Moved on after being burgled 4 times in 6 months and just took a hit the sale of the flat. Shame because there were still some canny people lived round about.
Had a friend who lived that way and they were burgled all the time - he said you just left your front door open, it was less of a bother. The final straw for,them was sitting in the living room one night and some started sledgehammering the party wall from next door to get in.

How Meadow Well riots spread to the West End of Newcastle

My family lived in Benwell and Scotswood it went on for 3 days one of the most famous images is of the dodds Arms in Elswick on fire. Can't believe you didn't remember it it made national news the home Secretary at the time visited meadowell and the west end in the aftermath. 1991.
Fair enough. I do remember the joy riding and fires, and the police helicopter overhead all the time. Them Cruddas Park flats were like fortresses though and particularly on the top floor (where we were) - had a great view looking east over the bridges but once in for the night you were isolated from it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Had a friend who lived that way and they were burgled all the time - he said you just left your front door open, it was less of a bother. The final straw for,them was sitting in the living room one night and some started sledgehammering the party wall from next door to get in.

Fair enough. I do remember the joy riding and fires, and the police helicopter overhead all the time. Them Cruddas Park flats were like fortresses though and particularly on the top floor (where we were) - had a great view looking east over the bridges but once in for the night you were isolated from it.
Heard a noise one night and opened the curtains to find some land standing on the window ledge jemmying the window open. They would knock on the door and when you answered they would just walk away laughing.

Many fond memories of the area and people, but mostly sadness that it had been left to rot.

Heard a noise one night and opened the curtains to find some land standing on the window ledge jemmying the window open. They would knock on the door and when you answered they would just walk away laughing.
On the flip side, two lads on my course had a flat in Benwell in a street with lots of old ladies who just didn’t think it was right that two young lads were having to make do by themselves, and were always coming round with pies. These were people who had nowt themselves.

Last edited by a moderator:
Shortly after the riots (which as you say, didn’t spread to Sunderland), ITV released a documentary about Pennywell. It was grim viewing and attracted a lot of national attention. Images of feral kids chucking stuff at the police etc.

Was that about the time a brick got thrown or dropped through a police car window and the officer seriously injured? Remember that being in the echo for ages.

They got a lot of regeneration money invested in the area as well as the west end of Newcastle after that. City Challenge money I think it was called.

Perhaps the poorer areas of Sunderland should have rioted too and they may have got investment too.

Plenty of places in Sunderland got city challenge money.

Gang from 'lawless estate' left officer with brain damage

Good to see the judge throwing around contempt sentences like they were going out of fashion, bring them out of retirement

Last edited:
Just like the mags and smashing up their own city centre, must be a north of the water thing
Remember watching the London riots and seeing younguns smashing up folks businesses, cars etc. What do people get out of this. There can be no reasoning for it.

Was that about the time a brick got thrown or dropped through a police car window and the officer seriously injured? Remember that being in the echo for ages.

Plenty of places in Sunderland got city challenge money.

Gang from 'lawless estate' left officer with brain damage

Good to see the judge throwing around contempt sentences like they were going out of fashion, bring them out of retirement

That traffic cop lived in my street at the time.
He was just a complete wreck when he came out of hospital.
Had to learn to walk again and was left with horrific long term physical problems.
He moved away not long after so I’ve no idea how he is now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back