Mate caught without car insurance

There is always something ADR or con and use they can find so be courteous. All saves a report to traffic commisioner which i believe can be sent even for a poor driver attitude.
Bad attitude? Lets drain the brake system to check for leaks and pressure is usually the first one. Adds 20 mins to a stop at least doesnt it?
wouldn't know, never had any problems but i think that's absolute rubbish tbh re attitude. sounds more like canteen bollocks.
He made an error with the date on his insurance form.
If he took the insurance out before driving the car but accidentally gave the wrong start date when he bought the insurance, then surely if he can show this the police won't prosecute him?
It's a shame people get prosecuted for genuine mistakes. He's hardly public enemy number one.
it might be a genuine mistake but having no insurance is one of those absolute offences, ie. you're either insured or not.

Last edited:

They wont change the date? this seems mad, why would they refuse to change the date? Is he just trying to avoid an admin fee as well here?!
As per the post from @SAFC2012 , normal insurers won’t insure a vehicle that’s currently seized. If the insurance had been valid and was seized for another offence, OPs mate’s insurance would cover him. But as it’s happened outside the policy dates, even if his insurance was due to start today it would be invalid.
I can't believe it's had to be explianed to the extent it has, insure the vehicle, go and pick it up and wait for the FPN.
Mental isn’t it. Could have just googled it if nothing else.

I can't believe it's had to be explianed to the extent it has, insure the vehicle, go and pick it up and wait for the FPN.
The fact thefella didn’t double check he was insured before he pulled away, shows the level of silliness involved. I can’t believe someone’s going to buy a car and arranges insurance for a week later, generally and especially when calling to activate it, you’d just say, yeh insure me from today even if it was a couple of days before picking the thing up.
And it’s everyone else that would suffer if he had a bump as he’d have no insurance to cover them so they’d have to claim on their own

The fact thefella didn’t double check he was insured before he pulled away, shows the level of silliness involved. I can’t believe someone’s going to buy a car and arranges insurance for a week later, generally and especially when calling to activate it, you’d just say, yeh insure me from today even if it was a couple of days before picking the thing up.
And it’s everyone else that would suffer if he had a bump as he’d have no insurance to cover them so they’d have to claim on their own

Aye. Fuck knows how he did it.

Was he not getting the car back today? How didn’t go, what did he do?

He's got it back but he said he was having bother getting insurance for a decent price. No idea what arrangements he had to get the car out of pound. Not heard from him all day since earlier.
I suspect what he might have done is arrange to get it on Saturday, then got impatient and went earlier to get it. Forgetting to update insurance.

He told me it's taxed.

Last edited:
He's got it back but he said he was having bother getting insurance for a decent price. No idea what arrangements he had to get the car out of pound. Not heard from him all day since earlier.
I suspect what he might have done is arrange to get it on Saturday, then got impatient and went earlier to get it. Forgetting to update insurance.

He told me it's taxed.
Thats what id presumed. Collected car sooner than planned.

He told me it's taxed.
Why was he looking for insurance when he'd already got insurance but accidentally started it a week later? All he had to do was contact his insurance company and say could you change my start date to a few days earlier. Easily done online. Probably have to pay £30 or whatever as an admin fee but that's all he had to do.
Also the car can't be taxed as tax doesn't transfer with the car. So when he filled in the form to tax it he'd then notice his insurance error. I now doubt his story is true, I don't think he's being honest with you. It smells of bullshit.

He told me it's taxed.
How can it be taxed
You need insurance to tax the car

Last edited:
A SORN car needs no tax but you may want to insure it in case somebody nicks it off your drive

It could have had 36 hour insurance provided by the dealer.

I had that from Cinch when I bought mine. Got the car out of their hair.
It still has insurance though.

I'm not really bothered but I don't see how the lad's story adds up.

You don't.
Every time I’ve bought a new car
The salesman has needed my insurance details or the free 1 week insurance the sometimes give you
To go and tax the car before I can drive it away
And I have bought scores of new cars last one was March 24
And that’s what happened then

Last edited:

Back