Mate caught without car insurance

WestEndLad1975

Central Defender
Odd one for the wise old heads on here.

Mate just got stopped by police tonight. Seems like random check. Just bought a new car and he's ballsed up. He's only gone and started the car insurance for next week, so he's had his car seized.

He says the police could only see insured or not insured, so he's been asked to go to police station tomorrow morning with his certificate.

Anyone got ideas what might happen to him? He's in bits like cos he needs the car.

Every car I've bought from a garage has either wanted a cover note or has arranged insurance cover so I could drive the vehicle when I collected it.

Aye same here. Cheap car like so he might have bought it from somewhere not so great.
Can they not just sit on the side of the road and scan any car coming past, or am I being thick.

Must have done.

Odd one for the wise old heads on here.

Mate just got stopped by police tonight. Seems like random check. Just bought a new car and he's ballsed up. He's only gone and started the car insurance for next week, so he's had his car seized.

He says the police could only see insured or not insured, so he's been asked to go to police station tomorrow morning with his certificate.

Anyone got ideas what might happen to him? He's in bits like cos he needs the car.
If he accepts fixed penalty it will be 6 points and £300 fine. If within 2 years of passing test will be automatic ban

To reclaim the car pays £192 uplift fee plus a daily storage charge. Need to be able to provide proof of insurance, MOT if applicable etc. Costs are fixed and set in legislation

Aye I just looked it up but I've never heard of it. His own fault obviously but bloody unlucky. He's only had a 2 mile drive home from where we were.

You must have seen them in one of those traffic police documentaries on TV.

A lot of police cars are fitted with ANPR cameras which will do an automatic check on DVLA and insurance databases and then issue an alert if a passing car doesn't have tax, registration or insurance.

Back