Mate caught without car insurance

A good few years back I was pulled by a traffic cop with ANPR. Similar thing, I had insurence but one number on reg was wrong on the policy. He was really good about it and let me ring the insurance company and update the policy from the back of his car. I would have been driving without insurence for months. Luck of the draw sometimes with who you get.
Same thing happened to the missus, got stopped outside Debenhams car park by a parking police car. I'd sorted her insurance online and had switched to a new provider but had two letters round the wrong way. I'm sure they let her go once she showed them the policy and we obviously had it corrected straight away.

Aye will do. Tbh just trying to get the lads head straight this morning before he goes in.

Cheers for advice on here all. Good to know opinions before he goes in.

Like said on here, he's bang to rights but not a bad lad. Just a daft error (certainly by sound of it).

Nah it's got to be random. He's notorious for driving like a nana.

Aye I'll ask him cos this is all a bit daft.

Years back now but there only used to be 2 options for what you were using the car for , basically business or social, domestic and pleasure, i`d always had the latter. Cant remember who i was with at the time but it renewed and they`d added commuting as a seperate thing so i`d basically driven to work and back for a year without realising it wasnt even covered for that :lol: :eek:. i go through them with a fine tooth comb now

I think this lad will get stung this morning mind but we'll see. A week without cover is something that needs explaining.

If I were the police I might also pay the garage a visit as he shouldn't have been allowed to drive away without it.

That's the issue here, he wouldn't have been covered...
Ya mates goosed. Like I said earlier. I doubt any other paperwork is in order after one day.

When he goes in if he's honest and tells them he's made a big ballsup somehow he's still got a chance. If he comes across as a good lad, why would he spend money on a car only to defer the insurance on purpose.
Coppers are often sound when it comes to an honest mistake, needs to hold his hands up, call himself a divvy and say sorry lots of times.

I think this lad will get stung this morning mind but we'll see. A week without cover is something that needs explaining.

If I were the police I might also pay the garage a visit as he shouldn't have been allowed to drive away without it.

That's the issue here, he wouldn't have been covered...
Are you sure he even had the cover in place with wrong start date? Could be he's forgot or was too expensive and he's chanced it (loads of people driving around without insurance or even licenses!). Hope he didn't take out the policy after this incident!

Are you sure he even had the cover in place with wrong start date? Could be he's forgot or was too expensive and he's chanced it (loads of people driving around without insurance or even licenses!). Hope he didn't take out the policy after this incident!
This is the other side, I didn't want to suggest this tbh. Maybe the lad is a bit thick or had a brain fart, if it's as you suggest he's bang to rights and feck him.

Odd one for the wise old heads on here.

Mate just got stopped by police tonight. Seems like random check. Just bought a new car and he's ballsed up. He's only gone and started the car insurance for next week, so he's had his car seized.

He says the police could only see insured or not insured, so he's been asked to go to police station tomorrow morning with his certificate.

Anyone got ideas what might happen to him? He's in bits like cos he needs the car.
Sadly though when you buy a new car they genraly give you first week free and this allows them to tax it
It can’t be taxed until the new driver is insured strange situation

When he goes in if he's honest and tells them he's made a big ballsup somehow he's still got a chance. If he comes across as a good lad, why would he spend money on a car only to defer the insurance on purpose.
Coppers are often sound when it comes to an honest mistake, needs to hold his hands up, call himself a divvy and say sorry lots of times.
He won’t see the a copper again I don’t think. No reason to.

Sadly though when you buy a new car they genraly give you first week free and this allows them to tax it
It can’t be taxed until the new driver is insured strange situation

Depends on the garage. If it's Honest John's Motors, he won't give a fuck whether he's taking the car away with insurance.

This is the other side, I didn't want to suggest this tbh. Maybe the lad is a bit thick or had a brain fart, if it's as you suggest he's bang to rights and feck him.

Just going on what he said. If he's genuinely been fully uninsured then he gets what he deserves. Not much fun for someone else if he hits them.

Let's see.
He won’t see the a copper again I don’t think. No reason to.

Think he meant the one on the desk.

It is difficult to defend against the charge of driving without insurance as it is a strict liability offence. This means, unlike many offences, that the person commits an offence even if it was not intended. It also means the onus is on the defendant to prove documentary evidence that they were insured, or that the insurance company agrees on some sort of misunderstanding with the best of intent. Whereas for the majority of charges the onus is on the prosecution to prove the offence.

There have been cases where the court has accepted written proof from an insurance company that accepts a misunderstanding. I'm not sure if that might be possible in this case, but maybe worth a try?

Last edited:
Maybe a can of worms been opened here
If he’s bought from a back street car sales man selling untaxed cars cars there could be more implications
You can’t tax your car without insurance
There will be questions to answer im guessing
I know...see my post on page 1 of the thread.

(I was meaning a newly purchased car...not a newly registered car)
Are we talking about a new car or a second hand car
New cars tax and insurance is done before you pick up the car
It is difficult to defend against the charge of driving without insurance as it is a strict liability offence. This means, unlike many offences, that the person commits an offence even if it was not intended. It also means the onus is on the defendant to prove documentary evidence that they were insured, or that the insurance company agrees on some sort of misunderstanding with the best of intent. Whereas for the majority of charges the onus is on the prosecution to prove the offence.

There have been cases where the court has accepted written proof from an insurance company that accepts a misunderstanding. I'm not sure if that might be possible in this case, but maybe worth a try?
Yeah pretty much this

Last edited:
Yeah, I didn't want to appear as accusing, just suggesting it as a possibility as the lad posting seems like he doesn't know the full facts about his mate. I'm also assuming it's been a cheap car (not actually new/new) otherwise you'd think no-one would be daft enough not to intentionally get insurance for it.

Maybe a can of worms been opened here
If he’s bought from a back street car sales man selling untaxed cars cars there could be more implications
Sellers cannot tax cars? Once you sell it, that tax becomes invalid and you get a refund.
Buyers need to tax cars they buy immediately. As well as insuring them.

Its a pain, as you basically need to have everything ready to go before you buy the car, then press the buttons on your phone (or laptop/hotspot) before you drive off.

Mind, I bet the insurance quote starting in 7 days time was a fair bit cheaper than the one starting "today". There's always a 10-20% premium to buy less then 3 days ahead of time. About 21 is the cheapest I believe.

I've only been pulled over once in 35 years of driving after doing a silly manoeuvre in front of an unmarked patrol car. I admitted I was wrong straight away and was very polite, apologist and respectful. Officer presumably thought that I wasn't worth the paperwork and let me go with a ticking off. if you start kicking off and arguing the law with them then you will get the full treatment.

Back