Mate caught without car insurance

There simply isn't the resources to do the stops or the follow up actions unfortunately. Perhaps in theory with some legal tweeks all of those 1 million uninsured vehicle owners who haven't filed a sorn could be sent fines and points automatically from the relevant police constabularies via the database. The existing system would presumably drown in it though.
I don't mean that they are fined and land in the already saturated court system. I agree that wouldn't work.

Just that uninsured cars aren't given any more petrol / diesel. Obviously wouldn't work with the new Fisher Price cars, but at least it would stop the uninsured cars from re-fueling and continuing to drive. Seems simple enough to do.

Be thankful he didn’t have an accident whilst uninsured.
His renewals will be expensive. Just sounds unlucky he was targeted at random by the Police, unless he was driving like an idiot.

Keep us updated what happenes today, on Traffic Cops they seize cars and tell them to bring documents the next day. Some get penalty points and a fine and some don't. The expensive part was paying for the impound and storage fee and some don't bother as fee is worth more than the car

Aye will do. Tbh just trying to get the lads head straight this morning before he goes in.

Cheers for advice on here all. Good to know opinions before he goes in.

Like said on here, he's bang to rights but not a bad lad. Just a daft error (certainly by sound of it).
Be thankful he didn’t have an accident whilst uninsured.
His renewals will be expensive. Just sounds unlucky he was targeted at random by the Police, unless he was driving like an idiot.

Nah it's got to be random. He's notorious for driving like a nana.
Bit of a shit situation but I dread to think what things he isnt covered for in his policy if even the dates wrong

Aye I'll ask him cos this is all a bit daft.

Last edited:
A good few years back I was pulled by a traffic cop with ANPR. Similar thing, I had insurence but one number on reg was wrong on the policy. He was really good about it and let me ring the insurance company and update the policy from the back of his car. I would have been driving without insurence for months. Luck of the draw sometimes with who you get.

A good few years back I was pulled by a traffic cop with ANPR. Similar thing, I had insurence but one number on reg was wrong on the policy. He was really good about it and let me ring the insurance company and update the policy from the back of his car. I would have been driving without insurence for months. Luck of the draw sometimes with who you get.
My pal got his van impounded for exactly this. He had to produce a document from the insurance company stating he would have been insured if he crashed under that policy. Still had to pay recovery and storage. Still had to pay change of policy.

I think this lad will get stung this morning mind but we'll see. A week without cover is something that needs explaining.

If I were the police I might also pay the garage a visit as he shouldn't have been allowed to drive away without it.
My pal got his van impounded for exactly this. He had to produce a document from the insurance company stating he would have been insured if he crashed under that policy. Still had to pay recovery and storage. Still had to pay change of policy.

That's the issue here, he wouldn't have been covered...

I think this lad will get stung this morning mind but we'll see. A week without cover is something that needs explaining.

If I were the police I might also pay the garage a visit as he shouldn't have been allowed to drive away without it.

That's the issue here, he wouldn't have been covered...
Its not the garages responsibility to ensure someone is insured to drive.

That reminds me that I received a warning letter (but not a fine) because a number zero had been written as a letter ‘O’ on the insurance policy. Something along the lines that the registration wasn’t found on a database.

I spoke to the insurer, we halved the cost of updating the policy. My mistake for not checking and another mistake for entering a symbol incorrectly into a database.

Last edited:
There's no way that would work, or no one would ever get done for driving without insurance.

Surely by error.

I reckon his options are take the points and fine OR take it to trial and explain it was genuine error and give a sob story about needing it to get to work / take his relative to hospital and can't afford the standard fine. The judge might show leniency, but then again they might not and it will work out even more expensive. He is bang to rights either way.

Either way he needs the car properly insured before they will release it back to him, and he needs to tell his insurers what he got from the ne for and what the penalty was or his insurance will be invalidated.
Yeah we all human n aye could be more costly fighting it.
A manager at work forgot to sorn his motorbike which he wasn’t using n went he went to tax it they pulled him up on it.
He went court about it explaining he needed it for work n all the jazz n he even got a letter off the company for the court.
Got fined 400 n odd quid plus had to pay the tax for when it was off the road.

Back