Mate caught without car insurance

Odd one for the wise old heads on here.

Mate just got stopped by police tonight. Seems like random check. Just bought a new car and he's ballsed up. He's only gone and started the car insurance for next week, so he's had his car seized.

He says the police could only see insured or not insured, so he's been asked to go to police station tomorrow morning with his certificate.

Anyone got ideas what might happen to him? He's in bits like cos he needs the car.
Tell him to pay his fine and be thankful he didn't have a crash whilst driving uninsured

I don't know about anyone else, but i think we aren't getting the real full story here like
If he has proof of the date he started agreement, not the date policy started I think he’ll be a little less fecked.

If he tries to tell porkies and has little proof its not looking good for the lad.

Some do. Just like the ones in car parks but the dont have access to the police national computer or force hotlists. Seen some of them that work nights in 24 hr garages 😬
Sorry, I wasn't clear. I meant that perhaps legislation could be brought in that allows them to be connected up to whichever database is needed. It's another way of stopping uninsured drivers/cars from being on the road. There are obviously a few things that would need ironing out and introducing but it should be possible.
So are they done at random or on suspicions of particular drivers being under the influence based on their driving at the time?

Fucks sake.
I'd be strongly in favour of random drink and drug driving roadside tests.
If me being stopped a couple of times per week makes the roads far safer for everybody I've no problem with that at all.

Get the selfish moronic bastards off the roads with bans.

Last edited:
Sorry, I wasn't clear. I meant that perhaps legislation could be brought in that allows them to be connected up to whichever database is needed. It's another way of stopping uninsured drivers/cars from being on the road. There are obviously a few things that would need ironing out and introducing but it should be possible.

I'd be strongly in favour of random drink and drug driving roadside tests.
If me being stopped a couple of times per week makes the roads far safer for everybody I've no problem with that at all.

Get the selfish moronic bastards off the roads with bans.
There simply isn't the resources to do the stops or the follow up actions unfortunately. Perhaps in theory with some legal tweeks all of those 1 million uninsured vehicle owners who haven't filed a sorn could be sent fines and points automatically from the relevant police constabularies via the database. The existing system would presumably drown in it though.

Back