Mate caught without car insurance

Being honest about what though? If I got caught speeding tomorrow, I wouldn’t call my insurance company up and tell them
I’m pending 3 points and £100 fine.

Nor would I.

But I'd just be a bit concerned about the fact that I've knowingly driven the car without insurance (albeit not be aware of it til I was stopped) and now I asking for the policy start date to change, not so I can collect from the garage, but from wherever the Police are holding it.

I'd be driving around shitting myself the insurance company won't pay up in the result of an accident or claim.

I'm very risk averse though.
I've never heard of anyone having to inform of a pending investigation. Thats telling someone you are under invesitgation. He may have a valid reason for all the insurance company know and it will get quashed

Just quoting the helpful Met police website

RPU cops dont know the word pit...pi...pi nevermind
I did actually encounter one many moons ago. I got stopped outside my house, I’d pulled my uninsured car off the drive to gain access and he drove past. Pulled me and gave me a lecture about how even if the car is on the drive it should really be insured, “what happens if the handbrake failed, rolled and hit something!” I listened very carefully to his lecture and placed the car back on the drive, but behind the gate this time.

I've seen Durham plod doing random car stops near Sniperly & Metal Bridge over the years. Normally well organised mob handed affairs where one guy is 100m in front of the lay-by and signals out (seemingly) random to pull into the lay-by...

I was stopped on the A68 to have my tank dipped for red diesel.

Passed the usual camera van, next lay-by being pulled over by police. Car shows up as diesel at the van, they pull you over.

Seen similar in Bishop Auckland near the old Aclet pub. Road block every few cars someone pulled to one side for a breath test.

Highly organised and planned. Probably more effective/lucrative (depending on your opinion) than any other way of doing it

I've often wondered why petrol stations can't use ANPR on their cameras. Every petrol station has cameras. Shouldn't be too difficult to deny petrol to any uninsured car. No petrol, no driving around.

Some do. Just like the ones in car parks but the dont have access to the police national computer or force hotlists. Seen some of them that work nights in 24 hr garages 😬

Was he driving like a twat in some way or is the car an ott boy racer mobile. Been driving 35 years and never been stopped at random.
Apparently they have a system that alerts them to cars without insurance.

I got caught with no insurance. I was quoted £3000 to insure a 1l car that cost me £150. So I didn’t bother getting any. Drive for nearly 3 years without any and finally got caught. Went to court and get a £250 fine no points. So in reality saved myself about £5k.
I’m taking almost 25 years ago

Will probably have to pay more on the insurance too, when he gets his car back

It would have been wiser for him just to get insurance out in the first place

He will likely not see another policeman. He will go to a private compound where they will check documents before they release the car.
He will need log book, mot, insurance and driving license. Not sure if they accept electronic now. I doubt it as it may not show up on computers yet. And it needs to be taxed.
Expect a ball ache. And to pay a fortune.

The only question the insurance can ask is, are you awaiting trial for any motoring offence. You answer no. As you ain’t.
Don’t slaver on or they won’t insure you. Just phone insurance and tell them you’ve getting car earlier than you thought (they can’t back date but can start the new policy immediately)
If you don’t have all of the above documents don’t change the insurance until you/him get them as the insurance may start before you get proof of tax or ownership.
As nobody ever been in bother on this place :lol:

Odd one for the wise old heads on here.

Mate just got stopped by police tonight. Seems like random check. Just bought a new car and he's ballsed up. He's only gone and started the car insurance for next week, so he's had his car seized.

He says the police could only see insured or not insured, so he's been asked to go to police station tomorrow morning with his certificate.

Anyone got ideas what might happen to him? He's in bits like cos he needs the car.

Aye he’s knackered. I got done for forgetting to update the address etc for registered keeper when I moved house. 6 points and an 800 quid fine.

I've often wondered why petrol stations can't use ANPR on their cameras. Every petrol station has cameras. Shouldn't be too difficult to deny petrol to any uninsured car. No petrol, no driving around.

Many do have ANPR. But it only shows driver address and if they have a record of driving off without paying. Same as Car Parks

I guess insurance etc requires police database which is probably protected information

This. Just be honest, you are more likely to get a lenient punishment.
Its a fixed penalty. Being "honest" with insurance company won't change the police action.

At this point he doesn't tell insurance company anything more than he needs cover to start earlier and pay the additional cost for that.

Back