Mary Poppins film age rating raised from U to PG

Might be my memory playing tricks but wasn't that scene always in?

They might have cut it down for TV broadcast and loads of people taped it off of the telly and remember that version perhaps?

Perhaps I'm wrong and its my memory fooling me.

Looking on the BBFC website, the version released in the 80s right up to 2000 was about 6 minutes shorter than the version currently certified!

I'm sure I saw that scene as a child though :(

From memory you just see him position his hand on his chest and the next thing he’s lowered into the fire pit. On the uncut version you see him pull his beating heart out and hold it up and you also see his body burn in the fire in the cage hes In. Like I say until watching it again on sky a few year back I had no idea of any of this

Kids won't have a clue or care what a 'Hottentot' is. How in the world is raising the rating to PG going to change anything? Most parents won't know, either.
The people on the ratings board must think that when a parent hears the word, they'll sit down with their kids and discuss why it's a 'bad word' and why it should never be used. This of course simply won't happen, and if it did, it would simply draw the kid's attention to the word when they wouldn't have even noticed it.

It's ridiculous how oversensitive the world is becoming. Everything is overanalysed and scrutinised to try to find something to score points about.
I'm well old and I have never heard the word before.

Kids won't have a clue or care what a 'Hottentot' is. How in the world is raising the rating to PG going to change anything? Most parents won't know, either.
The people on the ratings board must think that when a parent hears the word, they'll sit down with their kids and discuss why it's a 'bad word' and why it should never be used. This of course simply won't happen, and if it did, it would simply draw the kid's attention to the word when they wouldn't have even noticed it.

It's ridiculous how oversensitive the world is becoming. Everything is overanalysed and scrutinised to try to find something to score points about.
I don't imagine they ratings board think that at all. It's changed from U which is pretty much guaranteed child friendly and nothing at all could offence to parental guidance, so parents know that if they wish they could look at why it might upset or offence someone.
Haha get tae fuck hottentots 😂 no reason whatsoever for Mary poppins to be PG that’s ridiculous. Watership Down on the other hand…. Should be a 15 that kernt!
The reason has literally been given. A word is used twice that might offend some people.

Yeah..kids sit all day killing zombies and such on a variety of video games, but they have to wait until they are 15 to see mary poppins.

I don't imagine they ratings board think that at all. It's changed from U which is pretty much guaranteed child friendly and nothing at all could offence to parental guidance, so parents know that if they wish they could look at why some people might take offence.
Tidied! ;)
The world is full of people taking offence these days.

Is it something to do with Tottenham Hotspur ?

I didn't know Hottentots was a word until I read this thread! Seen the film numerous times but can't remember those two sentences.

I'm glad it's been explained so I know now what to get offended at 🤷‍♀️

If the actual Hottetots have raised this - then I kind of ( but only kind of) get it.

My suspicions are someone is actually trawling through old films looking for things and being offended on behalf of others .

Which I don’t get and scares me shitless.

If the actual Hottetots have raised this - then I kind of ( but only kind of) get it.

My suspicions are someone is actually trawling through old films looking for things and being offended on behalf of others .

Which I don’t get and scares me shitless.

A 60 year old childs film being moved from a 'u' rating to a 'pg' rating scares you shitless?

I think people need to have a bit of perspective here and not lose sight of what the story actually is. The 'offensive' word is so innofensive that it hasn't been removed from the film and the film hasn't been canceled or been made unavailable to children of all ages.

The word is still there. The film is still there.

It's now a PG rather than a U...it literally makes fuck all difference to anyone's lives. If you want to watch the film with your 4 year old child then crack on.

No problem with this personally.

U and PG are no different in terms of availability, but I'd expect them to align with modern U and PG films.
A film rated U, I'd expect it to have nothing at all that would need questioning or explaining in a historical context.

Other movies that should be upgraded from U to PG, just off the top of my head, are Dumbo, Pinocchio and Watership Down. There's scenes in all of those that would never make a U these days and it should be consistent.

Tellingly, live action remakes of each of those are PG
Snow White too, I screamed my head off when I saw the witch.. and I was 27 at the time!

If they weren't going around looking for obscure bits of racism in old films, then it wouldn't be reported.

Did they really think that highlighting a forgotten word, that no one was using or knew the meaning of, was fighting racism?
"With parental guidance, kids will stop abusing South African herders in the playground with that word they learnt watching Mary Poppins. I'm fighting racism"
You do know the actual core job of the BBFC is to literally assess/pour over the content of films?
They have no other role

And would you care to argue a case as to why their statement is wrong?

The BBFC said: "We understand from our racism and discrimination research... that a key concern for... parents is the potential to expose children to discriminatory language or behaviour which they may find distressing or repeat without realising the potential offence."

You can't even use the classic "it never did me any harm" defence, because sadly your posting history suggests the complete opposite

No problem with rating reviews over time. A lot of Disney stuff from that era is full of stereotypes and razy lasicm.
Some stuff in the modern era that would be an 18 years ago now passes for 15 or 12A in some cases.
I though use of “c*nt” was an automatic 18 but The Inbetweeners and Deadpool 2 got away with it.
Nothing in Mary Poppins to be overly concerned by. It’s not on some kind of banned list.

Back