Mary Poppins film age rating raised from U to PG

No problem with this personally.

U and PG are no different in terms of availability, but I'd expect them to align with modern U and PG films.
A film rated U, I'd expect it to have nothing at all that would need questioning or explaining in a historical context.

Other movies that should be upgraded from U to PG, just off the top of my head, are Dumbo, Pinocchio and Watership Down. There's scenes in all of those that would never make a U these days and it should be consistent.

Tellingly, live action remakes of each of those are PG

Due to offensive language apparently.

What is the actual language that they are referring to? Would make the thread a bit more interesting if we could discuss the particulars .

I'm guessing it's one line, or one phrase ?

(I'm not clicking that link)

What is the actual language that they are referring to? Would make the thread a bit more interesting if we could discuss the particulars .

Walking a fine line here with the mods, but the phrase used is Hottentots, shouted twice by the Admiral.
It's a racially offensive term used to describe some tribes in South Africa

Hottentots. Seriously .
Walking a fine line here with the mods, but the phrase used is Hottentots, shouted twice by the Admiral.
Its supposed to be derived from imitation of the click language they speak . In that case any film using the term barbarian , as well as the rugby team will need reclassifying .

Last edited:
Hottentots. Seriously .

I've never heard the term. It can't be that bad if it's still allowed in a PG rated kids film.

A quick Google shows its similar to 'barbarian'

As if they've made an entire newspaper article out of this. No doubt it will have the desired effect on those who only read headlines

Reading the thread title I thought this must have been something to do with Mary Poppins bag and the late Sticky Vicky.

Seriously, has someone been through this film with such a fine tooth comb to deem this discriminatory?

Back