Mark Campbell

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Grumpy Old Man will analyse the minutiae and come forth with his analysis.
And I'll still be none the wiser. :lol:

Wonder who the 2 massive Sunderland fans were. Hope it wasnt likes of Armstrong again. I initially thought he was meant to be front man for a Far East group but doesn't sound that way.
I think the Far East group were possibly another party with a more tentative interest. The sun ran the story and made out that it was one group. Would there be any Sunderland fans with huge clout Financially? I think it sounds as if the whole thing needed propping up by other investors. That's no different to the situation we're currently in. Also I'm not sure about having loads of fingers in the pie. Everyone has different opinions, ideas and agendas. It's a recipe for disaster imo. I'd rather we had one or two clear accountable owners.

Last edited:

I think the Far East group were possibly another party with a more tentative interest. The sun ran the story and made out that it was one group. Would there be any Sunderland fans with huge clout Financially? I think it sounds as if the whole thing needed propping up by other investors. That's no different to the situation we're currently in. Also I'm not sure about having loads of fingers in the pie. Everyone has different opinions, ideas and agendas. It's a recipe for disaster imo. I'd rather we had one or two clear accountable owners.

Seems like it was an ego thing to own the club rather than to take it forward imo

I know he's went into Falkirk now and they're Scottish league 1, imagine you'll have to put in no investment for promotion there & if they're talking about getting to the SPL then nobody spends money in the championship either as they can't afford it.

I don't think our next owners will have huge clout. I think they will have a bit more clout than the current ones but I'm not expecting the Sultan of Brunei, we'll probably have to work our way up to him.

@Grumpy Old Man will analyse the minutiae and come forth with his analysis.

I haven't got a clue what he means by that either. The only usual reason a takeover falls through is that the parties are miles apart on valuation. The other potential reason was that Donald woudn't sell him the 75%+ needed to give him carte blanche to do whatever he wanted. His background is stockbroking and real estate - so was SISU's. Think on that.

I haven't got a clue what he means by that either. The only usual reason a takeover falls through is that the parties are miles apart on valuation. The other potential reason was that Donald woudn't sell him the 75%+ needed to give him carte blanche to do whatever he wanted. His background is stockbroking and real estate - so was SISU's. Think on that.
I think the whole interview is pretty vague and a little contradictory too. There's nothing to suggest he could have invested anymore than can be currently. My gut feeling is that it's a case of better the devil you know.

I think the whole interview is pretty vague and a little contradictory too. There's nothing to suggest he could have invested anymore than can be currently. My gut feeling is that it's a case of better the devil you know.
The headline figure of 20m from him is certainly more but these are just soundbites

Was he not just the face of a consortium of people? Don't think he has the financial clout to have mounted a takeover alone.

Absolutely my thoughts. One minute the industry is blown away by the plan and toward the end he said their plan would potentially bankrupt the club. Not what we want.

Sounds like we dodged a bullet tbf. If we want to get back into the Prem and finish top 10 again, we’re looking at someone prepared to put a nine figure sum into the club. These guys don’t have that money. Shorts a billionaire and it nearly bankrupted him. Prices have gone nuts since then - a good striker will set you back 30 mill easy by the time we get back to the prem. Someone buying Falkirk ain’t the answer. Even Ashley’s saying he don’t have the money to fund top 6 and he’s probably in the 10 richest individual owners in British football.

Sounds like we dodged a bullet tbf. If we want to get back into the Prem and finish top 10 again, we’re looking at someone prepared to put a nine figure sum into the club. These guys don’t have that money. Shorts a billionaire and it nearly bankrupted him. Prices have gone nuts since then - a good striker will set you back 30 mill easy by the time we get back to the prem. Someone buying Falkirk ain’t the answer. Even Ashley’s saying he don’t have the money to fund top 6 and he’s probably in the 10 richest individual owners in British football.
Somethings gotta give within English football soon. Euro League? PL2?

Somethings gotta give within English football soon. Euro League? PL2?
God knows mate - look at the money the fella at Everton has plowed in and it’s got them nowhere. West Ham owners have moved them to a 60k seater, brought in an ex Real Madrid manager and chucked in a ton but no one sane would put money on them getting top 6. Bournemouth have spent loads just to get 48 points every season.

Was he not just the face of a consortium of people? Don't think he has the financial clout to have mounted a takeover alone.

Not what I've heard, and what he says backs that up. Sounds like there were a couple of other people, but it was more like a Stewart/Methven/Sartori thing, rather than him being a front for the real money.

Aye but how much profit? Genuine question like, I don't know, but what is the average turnover of a SPL club is compared to a Scottish championship one. If you can get us, in a league with bugger all, into a league with guaranteed turnover of £120m+ then obviously you could sell for a massive increase in price and make a killing. Buy Falkirk and get them into the SPL which also has next to no TV revenue (as you say they can't even compete with league one clubs) and fail to get into the champions league and I don't genuinely think the value of the club would have increased much. Probably by such a small percentage that there are many, much less risky, things to invest in with a likely higher payback!

But how much would he have to spend to get us there?

Wolves lost more than £1 million a WEEK getting promoted to the Premier League. Villa spent huge sums as well. Derby have had to sell their ground and lease it back to stem the tide there. Leeds made a huge loss last season too.

Falkirk start from a low position but if he can get them promoted to the Premier League there and into Europe - not that difficult when you look at some of the clubs who have managed it there in recent years - then it’s a far safer bet than somewhere in England.

It was widely reported at the time.

He said it himself yesterday.

Sunderland takeover hits the rocks as businessman Mark Campbell snubs League One outfit | Daily Mail Online

Last edited:
Not what I've heard, and what he says backs that up. Sounds like there were a couple of other people, but it was more like a Stewart/Methven/Sartori thing, rather than him being a front for the real money.
I've just done a bit of snooping on Twittor, Mark Campbell and both Gabe AND Ben Turner of Fulwell 73 all follow each other, so these two must be the others involved! ;)

But how much would he have to spend to get us there?

Wolves lost more than £1 million a WEEK getting promoted to the Premier League. Villa spent huge sums as well. Derby have had to sell their ground and lease it back to stem the tide there. Leeds made a huge loss last season too.

Falkirk start from a low position but if he can get them promoted to the Premier League there and into Europe - not that difficult when you look at some of the clubs who have managed it there in recent years - then it’s a far safer bet than somewhere in England.

He said it himself yesterday.

Sunderland takeover hits the rocks as businessman Mark Campbell snubs League One outfit | Daily Mail Online

Fair point, I just wonder how much potential profit he's looking at. Is there much of a market for middle of the road SPL teams? Because unless he's loaded the best he's likely to do is get them competing with Motherwell and the likes. I'd be interested to know how much Falkirk are costing him and how much he may be able to sell for. I don't see it as being a major profit whilst still possessing a lot of risk. As you say it can be expensive getting into the prem in England, although I don't believe Sheffield United or Huddersfield spent massively (might be wrong). I just know that if you can get it right and get up for minimal spend you might comfortably be looking at £50m plus profit. That makes it worthwhile for an investor, whereas the amount they're likely to make from a Scottish club even if successful might not, surely there's safer investments that would get similar return to running a Scottish championship side?

Winning start, big crowds and the investors will come. He wasn`t right fit and personally feel hes full of shite. I trust SDs call on this as i beleieve the offer will have been a good one for Campbell but not good enough for him

Apparently Donald said at the talk in tonight that he didn't think we'd have any more money to spend in the championship under Campbell's proposal.

That being the case it's no surprise he turned it down. Said for a while he didn't seem to be a game changer, why would we want someone investing if it doesn't mean more to spend? Might as well just stick with Donald and Methven

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back