Marcus Maddison Via Instagram

Status
Not open for further replies.
We were scraping by in games by the odd goal, reliant on Maja/McGeady whilst playing poorly. Meanwhile, McLaughlin was making some really good saves to win us games. That was always going to come to an end.

The 2 sides that played the best football went up 1 & 2. Theyre the 2 sides that created more chances whilst giving away fewer. I don't care how we play, style wise, but performance wise we were awful.
The facts are they finished above is, so I can’t win that argument, but they also couldn’t beat us. I’ll probably get called a happy clapper, but we’ve built solid foundations of a team that knows how not to get beat. It could be one player that transforms that into a tough side to beat as well as a side that look dangerous. Could be Marcus Maddison.

For me, I just can’t be arsed going back picking the bones of the negatives, when I reckon we’ll have 3/4 new players in the starting line up in August. If we see the same again next season, fair enough, but we’re a club in a massive transition in a very very short period of time.

No, people are fannies because they want it all. I’d be happy to win 1-0 from a long throw every week, but there’s a big majority who’ve criticised the style of play. Ross bowed to fan pressure & reverted as soon as we scored 4 goals at home but conceded 5. My point is, the post I quoted suggested a strong but limited player who would excel at set pieces. My view is people would moan at that even if we were winning.

We’ve got a lot if fans, you can’t please everyone, but there’s a large element of arrogance amongst us who think we should be winning by 3 & 4 every week because “we’re Sunderland”. When the truth is we’re lucky to have a team & last year was, IMO, very much trying to throw together a squad at very short notice. It’s very difficult to get that right at first time if trying.

I agree with many of your points. However you can't get away from the fact that we've just failed to get promoted from League One. People aren't wanting 'everything' and there shouldn't be many expectations that are unattainable in this league.

I just don't think there's much scope for calling people fannies and the like when you consider our position.

The facts are they finished above is, so I can’t win that argument, but they also couldn’t beat us. I’ll probably get called a happy clapper, but we’ve built solid foundations of a team that knows how not to get beat. It could be one player that transforms that into a tough side to beat as well as a side that look dangerous. Could be Marcus Maddison.

For me, I just can’t be arsed going back picking the bones of the negatives, when I reckon we’ll have 3/4 new players in the starting line up in August. If we see the same again next season, fair enough, but we’re a club in a massive transition in a very very short period of time.

You are right mate. I don't like they were better sides than us too. Just they knew how to set to beat poorer sides because they were more equipped to have a go. I imagine they were 1 & 2 for home record over the course of the season.

Feel like there's almost been a revolution towards attacking football in the championship and league 1 & it left us behind last year.

Last edited by a moderator:
Quite right. Got to have standards
Was it Roy Greenwood who was banned from team photo because he had a beard?
Different times!

He did look a scruffy so and back then ... but he would be on trend these days

I’ve mentioned a few times on here that SAFC has to completely change its ways to succeed in the post 1992 world. Most agree and suggestions have included various models Dortmund, Udinese etc, better scouting, concentrate on academy etc etc. But EVERY club is doing that already and we are still a provincial post industrial backwater based club with its attendant problems.
A method I’ve previously proposed on here would be to fill the squad with niggly shithouses alongside Cattermole. No one even City and Liverpool would look forward to games against an XI composed of the modern day equivalent of Wise, Hutchison, Cana, Rae, Savage, Gayle, Bowyer, Roberts, Hopkins, Dennis, Jones, etc etc.
There must be enuff of that type of Horrible bastard twats in the first second n championship available surely? They’d not cost anymore than yer more mentally stable players to buy or pay but hoyed together would imho be far greater in a sum of their parts style.
A sort of footballing Dirty Dozen or Kelly’s Heroes if you like.

Yeah... everyone hates Sunderland. They do anyway for being perennial EPL strugglers with boats loads of money

Last edited:
Plus we need to develope a style of play to build on
Stuck of play, let's start by our working the opposition, our running them, pressuring the ball. There was too many times, last season, I saw us sitting back and allowing teams to play. Making it easy for the opposition.

This is 3rd division football, we need to stop showing too much respect.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back