Manic Street Preachers

Started great, had a major dip around Know Your Enemy and Lifeblood but some of the more recent stuff is actually pretty good imo. As others have said, Holy Bible is their stand out record and they're consistently excellent live.

As someone who has been a bit of a fan of theirs, I feel I am going against the tide here by not really liking THB all that much.

GT, EMG & TIMTTMY all brilliant albums. GATS also decent. was just never massively taken by THB

Chemical Brothers (I think) remix of Everything must go was class, other than that I just couldn't get on with their stuff.

As someone who has been a bit of a fan of theirs, I feel I am going against the tide here by not really liking THB all that much.

GT, EMG & TIMTTMY all brilliant albums. GATS also decent. was just never massively taken by THB
THB is one of those that rewards the persistent listener. It's nowhere near as immediate as some of their more accessible stuff.

It's quite a dark, foreboding tone and probably not for everyone.

Definitely up there with the best, lyrically.

In my opinion:

First 4 albums are brilliant.
This is My Truth not great but still some great songs on it.
Know Your Enemy gets a bad rep, some good songs but about 5 tracks too long.
Lifeblood underrated but very different output.
Send away the Tigers, decent album.
Journal for Plague Lovers - first half album is OK

And then I struggle with everything after that bar a few songs.

In my opinion:

First 4 albums are brilliant.
This is My Truth not great but still some great songs on it.
Know Your Enemy gets a bad rep, some good songs but about 5 tracks too long.
Lifeblood underrated but very different output.
Send away the Tigers, decent album.
Journal for Plague Lovers - first half album is OK

And then I struggle with everything after that bar a few songs.
Loved all their albums up until 'This Is My Truth...''. It went a bit dour for me after that. ''Know Your Enemy'' was bloody awful.

Last edited:
Bought all 12 inch single around 89/90 and saw them in Blackburn with Richie on guitar. Not many there but a great gig. Loved Motown Junk and the early songs had a nice punky feel. Was disappointed in Generation Terrorists more rock approach and over indulgent licks, but still decent. Preferred the Holy Bible. Everything Must Go saw them more mellowed out, but some real anthems. Kind of lost interest after that, but will prob go see them with Suede in Manchester this Summer.

James D Bradfield is a natural player and post gig in Blackpool, nipped into a local dive where an old jazz band played every fri and sat night. He had a few drinks and wanted to play a song. The old boys didn't know who he was and basically told him to f*** o** :lol:

Bought all 12 inch single around 89/90 and saw them in Blackburn with Richie on guitar. Not many there but a great gig. Loved Motown Junk and the early songs had a nice punky feel. Was disappointed in Generation Terrorists more rock approach and over indulgent licks, but still decent. Preferred the Holy Bible. Everything Must Go saw them more mellowed out, but some real anthems. Kind of lost interest after that, but will prob go see them with Suede in Manchester this Summer.

James D Bradfield is a natural player and post gig in Blackpool, nipped into a local dive where an old jazz band played every fri and sat night. He had a few drinks and wanted to play a song. The old boys didn't know who he was and basically told him to f*** o** :lol:
Amazing, JDB would've been fine though. Absolutely an underrated player

Saw them at Wearmouth Hall in 92 they were relatively unknown then and the band were just drinking at the bar beforehand. Remember saying alreet to Richie in his leopardskin get up and eyeliner 😁

JDB did a karate kick off the stage onto someone who had been hockling at him and at the end they pulled out flick knives and slashed open pillows to 'feather' the sweaty crowd.

It was the night that the FA cup semi final tickets went on sale so I went straight from there to RP to queue up all night with my mates. I still had bits of feathers sticking to me was finding them in my pockets the next day 🤣

Saw them at Wearmouth Hall in 92 they were relatively unknown then and the band were just drinking at the bar beforehand. Remember saying alreet to Richie in his leopardskin get up and eyeliner 😁

JDB did a karate kick off the stage onto someone who had been hockling at him and at the end they pulled out flick knives and slashed open pillows to 'feather' the sweaty crowd.

It was the night that the FA cup semi final tickets went on sale so I went straight from there to RP to queue up all night with my mates. I still had bits of feathers sticking to me was finding them in my pockets the next day 🤣
I hope there were no asthmatics in the front row
Never found, unfortunately. Declared dead in 2018. Awful
Didn't they find his car parked by the Bristol Suspension Bridge, a notorious suicide spot, but its claimed it was a decoy and it was suspected he'd cleared off to somewhere like India.

Last edited:

Back