Manic Street Preachers

Some cracking stuff and some utter shite.

Have everyone of their albums bar the last 2 as it’s utter dross they put out now
I remember my interest in them becoming less so in 2000, having been a fan of them throughout the 90s. Then they released "Know Your Enemy" as if to let me know it was time to leave it for a bit. Awful album.

Saw them at the Arena late 90s/early 2000s. Was just like listening to a CD, they were canny enough, but no interaction with the crowd etc., very bland gig.

Thought they were a joke when they came out in their stencilled Clash style shirts but 'The Holy Bible' is brilliant. Decent singles band to a point.
Really sad story about Kevin Carter, sure he committed suicide after seeing starving babies / children die in Africa and he couldn't save them all during his photography assignments 😢😞
Sad stuff but one of my fave MSP tracks.

Thought they were a joke when they came out in their stencilled Clash style shirts but 'The Holy Bible' is brilliant. Decent singles band to a point.

Sad stuff but one of my fave MSP tracks.
Their debut single "Suicide Alley" was very reminiscent of "Tommy Gun" as well, although they did evolve beyond that.

Heavenly Records had quite a varied roster in the early 90's with the Manics, Flowered Up and Saint Etienne all on the label.

Saw them at the Arena late 90s/early 2000s. Was just like listening to a CD, they were canny enough, but no interaction with the crowd etc., very bland gig.
Once they became more established they were miles more polished live. The last gig they played with Richey at the Astoria in London, the sound was so bad they all ended up with nosebleeds, apparently.

Saw them at the Riverside and Mewcastle Uni - they were actually really good. Richie gave them some weird kind of glamour, or maybe just was a good looking bloke

Saw them at the Riverside and Mewcastle Uni - they were actually really good. Richie gave them some weird kind of glamour, or maybe just was a good looking bloke
What years did you see them? I was too young to get into gigs when Richey was in the band. Would've loved to see them 91-95

University gig was 1994 Holy Bible tour.
Not sure if the Riverside was 91 or 92 or maybe I went to both even 🤣
...Not jealous, honest :(

An underrated song by them, probably because it's off their worst album.

Last edited:
Saw them at Wearmouth Hall in 92 they were relatively unknown then and the band were just drinking at the bar beforehand. Remember saying alreet to Richie in his leopardskin get up and eyeliner 😁

JDB did a karate kick off the stage onto someone who had been hockling at him and at the end they pulled out flick knives and slashed open pillows to 'feather' the sweaty crowd.

It was the night that the FA cup semi final tickets went on sale so I went straight from there to RP to queue up all night with my mates. I still had bits of feathers sticking to me was finding them in my pockets the next day 🤣

We were there that night.... he jumped off the stage into the crowd at the end

Aye it was great

Used to see a lot of bands around that time and most ended up as nothing but that gig really gave a feeling of excitement and that something was starting.

Oh, to be young again ☹️😁

Saw quite a lot of bands in those days at the Mayfair and Riverside so it was a treat to see a gig at Wearmouth Hall, having had a few in The Borough first

Back