Major league baseball

I'm going to see the Cubs v Rangers at the Wrigley next Friday for my 1st MLB experience along with 2 other total newbies (it's actually my 1st time in the US). Looking at an aperitif or two in Sluggers or Murphys but wondering if they are actually 'sports bars' or totally baseball-fixated? Cubs game starts at 13.20 but our match against Hull kicks off at 11.30 so I'm wondering if that's likely to be showing?
I’d say it’s unlikely to just be on, but my experience in sports bars over here is that if you ask they’re usually happy to put it on for you on a single screen - esp as there’s not likely any competition at that time of day

Can I add a little PS here?

I didn't care much for the new time clock in what was an offensive display between the Cards and Jays last might. Other rules that were introduced are OK I suppose but I would have enjoyed seeing the pitchers slow the game down a tad but that tactic wasn't afforded to either team.

I’d say it’s unlikely to just be on, but my experience in sports bars over here is that if you ask they’re usually happy to put it on for you on a single screen - esp as there’s not likely any competition at that time of day

Any idea what channel will be showing the lads tomorrow, if any? I'll be having breakfast near the Wrigley with a mate from Minneapolis who adopted us as his team 20 years ago when I took him to see us beat Spurs.

Loving Chicago, like, though it's a bit nippy to be sitting around outdoors for 3 hours. Remembered to pack me gloves though.

Last edited:
Any idea what channel will be showing the lads tomorrow, if any? I'll be having breakfast near the Wrigley with a mate from Minneapolis who adopted us as his team 20 years ago when I took him to see us beat Spurs.

Loving Chicago, like, though it's a bit nippy to be sitting around outdoors for 3 hours. Remembered to pack me gloves though.

Let us know how it goes.

Could get to a houston game next month but unsure if ill enjot it a lot versus a night out. Stadium n atmosphere no doubt good but unsure of the game as a spectacle!

It's on ESPN+ here which is the ESPN streaming service - not on "regular" tv but I'd think most sports bars would have access to it. We have it through Hulu but it's a freestanding streaming channel as well

Chicago is one of my favorite places to visit. It was the first place I came to in the US back in the 90s (hence the Cubs thing) and it's a great walking town, and down by the lake is class. Glad you're enjoying it - looking forward to my visit

Last edited:
It's on ESPN+ here which is the ESPN streaming service - not on "regular" tv but I'd think most sports bars would have access to it. We have it through Hulu but it's a freestanding streaming channel as well

Chicago is one of my favorite places to visit. It was the first place I came to in the US back in the 90s (hence the Cubs thing) and it's a great walking town, and down by the lake is class. Glad you're enjoying it - looking forward to my visit

We should be in one or other of the bars for kick off so we'll soon see! My mate's flight from Minneapolis was cancelled so we're not going to have him there to explain what the fuck's going on in the baseball but really looking forward to it. Went to Chess Records yesterday which was very cool and then spent about 5 hours in the Art Institute which is the best gallery I've ever been to. I know about as much about art as I do baseball but seeing some of my favourite pictures 'in the flesh' was tremendous. Doing some gangster-related pub crawl tonight, it's all go!
Let us know how it goes.

Could get to a houston game next month but unsure if ill enjot it a lot versus a night out. Stadium n atmosphere no doubt good but unsure of the game as a spectacle!

We had a really good day out. Some great bars next to the ground, friendly fans, decent beer, but none that we were in showed streaming telly so had to try and watch our game on my phone.
Unfortunately, the game was grim - finished 2-0 to the Cubs (after a 12-5 romp in their previous game!) and it was a bit chilly out of the sun, but well worth the minimal effort involved. Great experience though, in reality, I don't think I'll ever go to an MLB game again.

View media item 10522

Last edited:
We should be in one or other of the bars for kick off so we'll soon see! My mate's flight from Minneapolis was cancelled so we're not going to have him there to explain what the fuck's going on in the baseball but really looking forward to it. Went to Chess Records yesterday which was very cool and then spent about 5 hours in the Art Institute which is the best gallery I've ever been to. I know about as much about art as I do baseball but seeing some of my favourite pictures 'in the flesh' was tremendous. Doing some gangster-related pub crawl tonight, it's all go!

We had a really good day out. Some great bars next to the ground, friendly fans, decent beer, but none that we were in showed streaming telly so had to try and watch our game on my phone.
Unfortunately, the game was grim - finished 2-0 to the Cubs (after a 12-5 romp in their previous game!) and it was a bit chilly out of the sun, but well worth the minimal effort involved. Great experience though, in reality, I don't think I'll ever go to an MLB game again.

View media item 10522
f***ing love Wrigley! Hope you had a great day

Bastards won 10-3 today!

I suspect we'll be getting the Bulls' 2nd string tomorrow for their final game of the regular season but we've got seats next to the bar so what the hey.

Have to give this a bump with the games being on iPlayer.

Astros made it to the post season despite a pretty poor regular season, almost didn’t win the division after a back and forth with the Rangers all season.

Don’t think we’ll go all the way to the World Series but a decent run nonetheless.

Great that it's on BBC. Apart from Felix White. Totally out of his depth. Everytime he opens his mouth it's to say something meaningless or trying to say something profound. I predict the next mention of an infielder picking the ball up in the infield and throwing to first as being balletic will be about 11.25pm.

On Red Button if you have no internet.

Great that it's on BBC. Apart from Felix White. Totally out of his depth. Everytime he opens his mouth it's to say something meaningless or trying to say something profound. I predict the next mention of an infielder picking the ball up in the infield and throwing to first as being balletic will be about 11.25pm.

On Red Button if you have no internet.
What exactly qualifies him to colour commentate on MLB games? His most inspired take so far was that Air Yordan was a big guy…

View media item 10522
Can you get a beer in the game?

His contributions were lifting, can’t imagine how any of that is expected to get MLB more British fans.
It's patronising at the very least, there's no brits on c5's nfl coverage, all i want is someone who talks sense and informs.

I went to bed and hit record at 6-0 when he guaranteed the d'backs would not be running away with the game.
He was partially correct, 11-2 was a canter.

Back