Major league baseball

Or silly boys rounders if you like

been to a couple of games in the past but never got into it really.

Today is opening day so gonna follow it I think, in the absence of real life being fun right now

So on BT sport today we have

Blue Jays @ Yankees from 6pm
Dodgers @ Rockies from 9pm

Think I will support the Reds, historically shit so apt, who are @ Cardinals tonight at 9pm

Today is opening day so gonna follow it I think, in the absence of real life being fun right now

Think I will support the Reds, historically shit so apt, who are @ Cardinals tonight at 9pm
look forward to the team news mate :lol:

hank won't be happy about you muscling in his live sport on tv patch

I really enjoy it. Stat central.
This seems to be the main appeal for lots of people. I saw a World Series game at Yankee Stadium when I visited New York - the game itself is really basic, and all about the pitcher really - but the number of different stats that went up on the board was ridiculous :)

Hope my Jays do well against those damned Yankees. Blue Jays finally have a competitive team this year. Might not have the pitching but at least they're competing.

I quite enjoy it. Been to a number of games whilst over there in New York, Boston, Chicago, Phoenix, St Louis, Toronto, L.A. and Atlanta. I vaguely follow the White Sox (a bit of a baseball Sunderland - tainted by a historical scandal, don't win much (although bucked the trend a few years ago)), Diamondbacks and the Braves. As already mentioned, it's all about stats so not that far removed from cricket. Pity about the time difference, I used to love sitting, drinking and snacking on warm summer evenings while watching a game on tv while over there. Great fun going to minor league games as well where it's even more laid back in terms of actually following the game.

It's a cracking afternoon / evening out. A lot of the crowd stay in the bars for the first five or six innings, get a hot dog or two (or sunflower seeds for the healthy option) and take their seat for the last hour, usually in fine weather.

Went to Padres v Giants. The lad next to us was sharing a bottle of bourbon around. Canny.

I'm a former Washington season ticket holder from when I lived there and have been to most of the MLB stadiums once or twice. I also was a good enough player when I was younger that I played against a number of current and former major leaguers and a few more who made it reasonably high in the minors but never made the top level. So a new season is always fun for me.

I quite enjoy it. Been to a number of games whilst over there in New York, Boston, Chicago, Phoenix, St Louis, Toronto, L.A. and Atlanta. I vaguely follow the White Sox (a bit of a baseball Sunderland - tainted by a historical scandal, don't win much (although bucked the trend a few years ago)), Diamondbacks and the Braves. As already mentioned, it's all about stats so not that far removed from cricket. Pity about the time difference, I used to love sitting, drinking and snacking on warm summer evenings while watching a game on tv while over there. Great fun going to minor league games as well where it's even more laid back in terms of actually following the game.
The stats revolution has really changed people's perceptions of baseball fandom. Two decades ago, just before the A's turned the world onto Moneyball, baseball fandom was about the most anti-intellectual pursuit one could have, just up the chain from NASCAR, conservative politics, and recreational farting. I also enjoy minor league games more, which is good as I live in a minor league city.

The Reds were an absolute juggernaut in the '70s and also won the championship in 1990, which was coincidentally the first one I remember. The years since...well, they kinda match Cincinnati's fortunes as a city. I live in the same city as one of the Reds' minor league affiliates, so I'll be seeing a number of future Reds this year.

Last edited:
The U.S. can be pretty insular and I don't buy the claim that the World series was named after the New York World newspaper.
That claim is bullshit, but when the name originated around 1900 there weren't professional baseball leagues anywhere except the US, so the name was accurate then - it just became an outmoded tradition that nobody had an appetite to change.

Last edited:

Back