Mackies corner area

It’s gone too far. I don’t think it matters as much as people think though. Aye it would be nice if the town bucked its ideas up with shops and that but I don’t think it matters that much now. It’s good that they’re focusing on making it better looking because that’s all I think it needs. Cinema, shop, good bars, good places to eat. That’s what most towns are now. The likes of Blandford street and all over up near Joseph’s is an absolute shit tip and wants pulling down.

I think you are right albeit with those improvements hopefully the shops will also improve. With the internet, I rarely tend to shop in stores due to convenience (time) and only go into shops to return items or collect them, mainly as the stock on-line is significantly better than what can be offered in store and can be cheaper.

I’ve said it a few times but the city centre (town) is probably too big with decent shops spread too thinly - so footfall is spread across it rather Han concentrated in specific areas. The city centre therefore needs to contract in size and provide an improved offer over a smaller which in turn hopefully make businesses more viable. As you’ve said the future of the high st is entertainment sector (food, beverage, culture etc..) with secondary retail.

As for the likes of blanford st each city needs these areas and whilst I wouldn’t necessarily shop there it’s not quite as bad as I had thought it was. Certainly no worse than high st west.

I've spoken about a leap of faith. Just an example of what footfall could bring financially.

Let's say 1% of the Sunderland population use the city centre once a week instead of going further a field.

1% is a approx 2500 people. This 1% spend £50 each. Per week that works out £125,000. Over the year £6,500,000. That's just 1%. Increase that to 10% = £65,000,000.

These are the sort of figures we are pumping into the Newcastle/Tyneside economy.

Yes, vaux should play a massive part.
It doesn’t matter about the shops much. Retailers stock what people want. The town is mostly shopped by older people who can get the things they need as they’re catered for. Most the younger people are at work when it’s open where the metro and Newcastle is open on a night and offers good bars and restaurants to make a day of it.

It doesn’t need to be a great place for shopping.
I think you are right albeit with those improvements hopefully the shops will also improve. With the internet, I rarely tend to shop in stores due to convenience (time) and only go into shops to return items or collect them, mainly as the stock on-line is significantly better than what can be offered in store and can be cheaper.

I’ve said it a few times but the city centre (town) is probably too big with decent shops spread too thinly - so footfall is spread across it rather Han concentrated in specific areas. The city centre therefore needs to contract in size and provide an improved offer over a smaller which in turn hopefully make businesses more viable. As you’ve said the future of the high st is entertainment sector (food, beverage, culture etc..) with secondary retail.

As for the likes of blanford st each city needs these areas and whilst I wouldn’t necessarily shop there it’s not quite as bad as I had thought it was. Certainly no worse than high st west.
Some good points yeah. It needs more bars and places in the town and longer opening hours for bridges. That’s why shops don’t come imo.

Last edited:
On a point of order, I was talking to someone who works for the council (and has done for years) recently and I brought this gripe up. Apparently the town hall HAD to come down as it was ain a dangerous condition due to the water table and also the effects of having the rail lines in close proximity. If it wasn't pulled down it would have fallen down.
Well, that is the first time that I have heard that one.

It doesn’t matter about the shops much. Retailers stock what people want. The town is mostly shopped by older people who can get the things they need as they’re catered for. Most the younger people are at work when it’s open where the metro and Newcastle is open on a night and offers good bars and restaurants to make a day of it.

It doesn’t need to be a great place for shopping.

Some good points yeah. It needs more bars and places in the town and longer opening hours for bridges. That’s why shops don’t come imo.

I’ve always wondered why retail opens at 9:00am when really they should open at say 11:00am and close at say 7pm mon-fri. Appreciate that it’s more incovnenient for staff but surely it would get more footfall after work say and how much business must be done before 11? Ok there is shop replenishment etc to be done but that would surely be better.

On a point of order, I was talking to someone who works for the council (and has done for years) recently and I brought this gripe up. Apparently the town hall HAD to come down as it was ain a dangerous condition due to the water table and also the effects of having the rail lines in close proximity. If it wasn't pulled down it would have fallen down.

Binns next?

was news to me too, but came from someone I trust.
After all these years - it was knocked down in the early 70's - I can honestly say that I've never heard that excuse for the Tory council at the time knocking down the old town hall.
Just doesn't seem right - the water table would drain away onto the railway track as it was lower than the basement of the town hall, Binns also had a subway under Fawcett Street which would have been problematic if the water table theory was correct - and they were under-pinning buildings even back in those days.
But I think that the true reason was that they HAD to justify and utilise the new purpose built Civic Centre up on Burdon Road, and there was no other use for the empty building.
I remember the site after the demolition, and it was "landscaped" into a little park, which had no drainage - there was a dip in it, and this used to fill with water after it pissed down.
The new building where Northern Rock and the Post Office are now - went up a few years after the little park got shit-canned.

I’ve always wondered why retail opens at 9:00am when really they should open at say 11:00am and close at say 7pm mon-fri. Appreciate that it’s more incovnenient for staff but surely it would get more footfall after work say and how much business must be done before 11? Ok there is shop replenishment etc to be done but that would surely be better.
It’s inconvenient the hours the town is open. People are at work during the week and will go to the likes of these little retail parks or to the metro centre or Newcastle that are open till 9pm. Also the units in town are pricey for rent or land to build so the town does not stand a chance. Then it also costs to park so that further makes it worse. I think the impact of the opening hours of the town is underestimated and if it wants to improve they need to open bridges till 8pm

It’s inconvenient the hours the town is open. People are at work during the week and will go to the likes of these little retail parks or to the metro centre or Newcastle that are open till 9pm. Also the units in town are pricey for rent or land to build so the town does not stand a chance. Then it also costs to park so that further makes it worse. I think the impact of the opening hours of the town is underestimated and if it wants to improve they need to open bridges till 8pm

It's open until 8pm on Thursdays yet the place is a ghost town when I pop into Starbucks after work. A few of the retailers have already reverted back to closing at 5:30pm as there's not enough footfall to warrant the extra opening hours.

Parking is also free after 3pm in council car parks and free after 5:30pm at the Bridges, so I don't think that's the reason either.

Not everyone works 9-5, infact I'd says permanant 9-5 Monday to Friday is a minority shift now.

I still revert back to my original point, for the town to be a success again the people of Sunderland need to do a leap of faith and start to use it instead of spending their money further a field.

It's open until 8pm on Thursdays yet the place is a ghost town when I pop into Starbucks after work. A few of the retailers have already reverted back to closing at 5:30pm as there's not enough footfall to warrant the extra opening hours.

Parking is also free after 3pm in council car parks and free after 5:30pm at the Bridges, so I don't think that's the reason either.
One day though? What I’m saying is you currently can get pretty much anything you can get in town in one of the retail parks in different parts of the city. If you live on the north side you’d likely be inclined to hop on the metro and head to Newcastle especially if you live somewhere like Boldon or Shields.
Not everyone works 9-5, infact I'd says permanant 9-5 Monday to Friday is a minority shift now.

I still revert back to my original point, for the town to be a success again the people of Sunderland need to do a leap of faith and start to use it instead of spending their money further a field.
But what can you get in town that you can’t get in the retail parks in the town? Amazon does next day delivery on everything as well. There’s no need to go there to by music or films and you can’t do a food shop in the town so that pretty much leaves clothes which you can get online with next day delivery at cheaper prices.

The days of bustling town centres are over.

All the town wants is a clean up and make it look nice. I live in Newcastle city centre and only really go into town for pubs and restaurants.

Last edited:
One day though? What I’m saying is you currently can get pretty much anything you can get in town in one of the retail parks in different parts of the city. If you live on the north side you’d likely be inclined to hop on the metro and head to Newcastle especially if you live somewhere like Boldon or Shields.

But what can you get in town that you can’t get in the retail parks in the town? Amazon does next day delivery on everything as well. There’s no need to go there to by music or films and you can’t do a food shop in the town so that pretty much leaves clothes which you can get online with next day delivery at cheaper prices.

The days of bustling town centres are over.

All the town wants is a clean up and make it look nice. I live in Newcastle city centre and only really go into town for pubs and restaurants.
Online shopping has its limits.

For example take a child into a toy shop, pure excitement. You dont get that from looking on Amazon.

Looking at clothing online, you are taking an educated guess to see if it fits or looks good or even the feel of the quality of the item. Going to the shop and actually trying it on etc... you cant get that online.

Buying low price items online usually come with a delivery charge.

I've just nipped down the town today and bought some books from the Works for my daughter birthday. I didn't know exactly what I was looking for so I browsed a number of them and picked what I felt were the best. I couldn't exactly do that on line

I do also take your point on retail parks, they do serve a purpose but they dont other everything the town does.

Well said.

One day though?

They're not exactly going to extend it Monday-Friday if the one day a week it's open until 8pm has proven the demand isn't there.

Granted there's an argument to be made that shopping habits could change if people knew it was open until 8pm every week night, but until you get more people working in the city centre to support extended opening hours I don't think it'll change as you'll never get the retailers onboard.

Online shopping has its limits.

For example take a child into a toy shop, pure excitement. You dont get that from looking on Amazon.

Looking at clothing online, you are taking an educated guess to see if it fits or looks good or even the feel of the quality of the item. Going to the shop and actually trying it on etc... you cant get that online.

Buying low price items online usually come with a delivery charge.

I've just nipped down the town today and bought some books from the Works for my daughter birthday. I didn't know exactly what I was looking for so I browsed a number of them and picked what I felt were the best. I couldn't exactly do that on line

I do also take your point on retail parks, they do serve a purpose but they dont other everything the town does.
I agree ideally the town would be full of people browsing and shopping but habits have changed. People want cheap and quick. The likes of the world is great for stuff like that but it’s hardly going to get people loving the town. Like what shops would even attract people anyway?

I’m not disagreeing with you I’d love your idea to come true but I can’t think of any shops you could have which would get people into the town?
They're not exactly going to extend it Monday-Friday if the one day a week it's open until 8pm has proven the demand isn't there.

Granted there's an argument to be made that shopping habits could change if people knew it was open until 8pm every week night, but until you get more people working in the city centre to support extended opening hours I don't think it'll change as you'll never get the retailers onboard.
But that’s just it habits would need to change. What I’m saying is they won’t because we’ve got lazy now everything is one click away.

Tin hat on.

All for a bit of pride n that but as a bit of a neutral I dont think many realise how awful many parts are.

Most of the half marathon was through rough as feck bits.

Often park near catholic club and walk to match. Mostly grim full of junkies. Likewise area around egyptians etc.

Huge changes would be needed to change folks habbits. Id like to see the hundreds who train past sland on a saturday try it but at the moment most would think it was utter shit.

No offence.

Tin hat on.

All for a bit of pride n that but as a bit of a neutral I dont think many realise how awful many parts are.

Often park near catholic club and walk to match. Mostly grim full of junkies. Likewise area around egyptians etc.

Huge changes would be needed to change folks habbits. Id like to see the hundreds who train past sland on a saturday try it but at the moment most would think it was utter shit.

No offence.
I was typing a similar post. Imagine spending the day with ya kids in the town centre. I really hope all the new stuff works and I am getting behind it but the thing is surrounding areas are still growing and at a faster rate.
It’s no good being 20 year behind and taking 20 year to catch up to that point or you’re still 20 behind.

Tin hat on.

No offence.
You’re right. It’s too far behind now to be anything other than it is. Be much better concentrating on seaburn and roker I think which is something it can offer over the other towns and cities in the region.

A couple of recent examples

A lad at work has just booked ticket to see a book or mormon at Newcastle. When I said to him it's just been on at the Empire he said I know but it's better through Newcastle.

Another lass I know was after some Stone Island Ts for her bloke. I told her to Aphrodite or Flannels in the town, her reply was I dont go into the town.

That's just 2 examples of Sunderland people turning their nose up to their own city. I just dont get it.
When I go to the Empire I hear accents and see coaches from elsewhere so people from outside Sunderland have more faith than that lad at work.
No, land was sold to a hotel group but once the TH had been demolished they pulled out. I also heard it was actually too small to cope with all the council activities at that time, hence the Civic (monstrosity) was built to ensure all activities were carried out on the one site.

Last edited:

Back