Mackies corner area

The beggars that’s being ship through from Tyneside and hanging around the empire for people going in should be arrested on the spot.
Showing the town up and they don’t even belong here .

Its greats these areas of the city being regenerated however the people of Sunderland also need to stand up and us them.

Theres too many who say the town is shite and complain all the like and then jump in the car or on the metro and go to Newcastle or the Metro Centre and invest their hard earn money in those places.
Nail on the head support OUR clty.

Nail on the head support OUR clty.
I speak to loads of Sunderland people who very rarely or never use our city centre. People like that are a big part of the problem.

I really dont know how we can break the stigma in which way some people see our town. I feel there are too many snobs how live here and turn their nose up and will always say our city is shit, no matter what, whilst spending their money elsewhere.

I speak to loads of Sunderland people who very rarely or never use our city centre. People like that are a big part of the problem.

I really dont know how we can break the stigma in which way some people see our town. I feel there are too many snobs how live here and turn their nose up and will always say our city is shit, no matter what, whilst spending their money elsewhere.
Exactly the only time I'd shop in Newcastle is if I'm there for a concert keep it Wearside.

Exactly the only time I'd shop in Newcastle is if I'm there for a concert keep it Wearside.
A couple of recent examples

A lad at work has just booked ticket to see a book or mormon at Newcastle. When I said to him it's just been on at the Empire he said I know but it's better through Newcastle.

Another lass I know was after some Stone Island Ts for her bloke. I told her to Aphrodite or Flannels in the town, her reply was I dont go into the town.

That's just 2 examples of Sunderland people turning their nose up to their own city. I just dont get it.

Had no idea where yousmeant till I seen the picture of the alley.

Yes proper grim part of sunderland that, walking to station from a match at night is just depressing, boarded up shops n bars n not a thing open, rarely even a shop for a can or two.

Hopefully it is improved cos if you took that journey in another town youd think what a shithole tbf.

A lad at work has just booked ticket to see a book or mormon at Newcastle. When I said to him it's just been on at the Empire he said I know but it's better through Newcastle.

Another lass I know was after some Stone Island Ts for her bloke. I told her to Aphrodite or Flannels in the town, her reply was I dont go into the town.

That's just 2 examples of Sunderland people turning their nose up to their own city. I just dont get it.
Disgraceful and we have the magnificent Sunderland Empire in our city centre.

I try to avoid Newcastle cos I despise the road congestion there, and would rather not use public transport. If I can get the same thing with less hassle 5 mins down the road in Sunderland centre then its a no brainer.

They pulled down the old Town Hall :evil:
On a point of order, I was talking to someone who works for the council (and has done for years) recently and I brought this gripe up. Apparently the town hall HAD to come down as it was ain a dangerous condition due to the water table and also the effects of having the rail lines in close proximity. If it wasn't pulled down it would have fallen down.

Its greats these areas of the city being regenerated however the people of Sunderland also need to stand up and us them.

Theres too many who say the town is shite and complain all the like and then jump in the car or on the metro and go to Newcastle or the Metro Centre and invest their hard earn money in those places.
The problem is the town is crap. It’s a mess and is only open till half five. It’s in serious need of some tlc but the problem is people aren’t using town centres much. I think part of it as well is people often use big city centres like Leeds, Manchester and Newcastle to do a bit of shopping and have a drink and some food afterwards. I don’t think the town is particularly nice for doing that. Personally I do think people worry too much on here about the town centre mind.

I try to avoid Newcastle cos I despise the road congestion there, and would rather not use public transport. If I can get the same thing with less hassle 5 mins down the road in Sunderland centre then its a no brainer.

Good ou ya.

I know people from Sunderland who complain about the prices in the Minister quarter e.g. the Derry/Peacock and Sunniside but they are happy to go to Newcastle and pay higher prices for drinks!

The problem is the town is crap. It’s a mess and is only open till half five. It’s in serious need of some tlc but the problem is people aren’t using town centres much. I think part of it as well is people often use big city centres like Leeds, Manchester and Newcastle to do a bit of shopping and have a drink and some food afterwards. I don’t think the town is particularly nice for doing that. Personally I do think people worry too much on here about the town centre mind.
In addition, Sunderland has a smaller pool of shops and the ones we share stock very different ranges. The shelves at H&M are far less expansive in the Sunderland store than the Newcastle and Metro ones. Places like River Island seem to kit out for the benefit of the local clientele and as such, you'll find far differing shelves between the two places, often with us getting a far worse selection. If I can get stuff in town I will, but often the things I want necessitate a trip elsewhere.

Good ou ya.

I know people from Sunderland who complain about the prices in the Minister quarter e.g. the Derry/Peacock and Sunniside but they are happy to go to Newcastle and pay higher prices for drinks!
I've come across these type of people lots as well. Complete hypocrites
In addition, Sunderland has a smaller pool of shops and the ones we share stock very different ranges. The shelves at H&M are far less expansive in the Sunderland store than the Newcastle and Metro ones. Places like River Island seem to kit out for the benefit of the local clientele and as such, you'll find far differing shelves between the two places, often with us getting a far worse selection. If I can get stuff in town I will, but often the things I want necessitate a trip elsewhere.
I get that but I guess it's all down to footfall. If the footfall increased in the town the shops will stock more varieties etc....

Again, if people have a leap of faith and used the city centre more that will create a knock on effect.

Last edited:
I've come across these type of people lots as well. Complete hypocrites

I get that but I guess it's all down to footfall. If the footfall increased in the town the shops will stock more varieties etc....

Again, if people have a leap of faith and used the city centre more that will create a knock on effect.

And thats where vaux comes in, creating greater footfall from having more centre based jobs. Also part of the reason for the college relocation.

It’s gone too far. I don’t think it matters as much as people think though. Aye it would be nice if the town bucked its ideas up with shops and that but I don’t think it matters that much now. It’s good that they’re focusing on making it better looking because that’s all I think it needs. Cinema, shop, good bars, good places to eat. That’s what most towns are now. The likes of Blandford street and all over up near Joseph’s is an absolute shit tip and wants pulling down.

I've spoken about a leap of faith. Just an example of what footfall could bring financially.

Let's say 1% of the Sunderland population use the city centre once a week instead of going further a field.

1% is a approx 2500 people. This 1% spend £50 each. Per week that works out £125,000. Over the year £6,500,000. That's just 1%. Increase that to 10% = £65,000,000.

These are the sort of figures we are pumping into the Newcastle/Tyneside economy.
And thats where vaux comes in, creating greater footfall from having more centre based jobs. Also part of the reason for the college relocation.
Yes, vaux should play a massive part.

It’s gone too far. I don’t think it matters as much as people think though. Aye it would be nice if the town bucked its ideas up with shops and that but I don’t think it matters that much now. It’s good that they’re focusing on making it better looking because that’s all I think it needs. Cinema, shop, good bars, good places to eat. That’s what most towns are now. The likes of Blandford street and all over up near Joseph’s is an absolute shit tip and wants pulling down.

Yeah, the Bridges has most high street names. High street west has M&S, Primark & Argos but has too many empty/run down units. The council have updated the paving then once the hotel is build & people working on vaux site (and Mackies corner) that bit should hopefully improve. Far too many focus too much on the negatives rather than championing the positives.

Whilst Newcastle does have a better choice of shops, there's small pockets of their city centre which look more grim than anywhere in Sunderland

Back