LVCC D1 - Surrey v Durham

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep. Real waste of talent is Plunkett. Real shame. Play abandoned for the day, I've never known such a shite start to a season weather wise. Hard to see there being a result in 3 days, especially with more rain forecast over the weekend.

hasn't rained since it was called off for the day

Seriously?! Shite that. I thought 2pm was quite early to abandon play for the day. It perhaps brings me nicely to one of my main issues with Domestic Cricket though. That is 'lost time/overs', I can't believe more provisions aren't made for clawing back lost time/overs in Championship Cricket.

Bearing in mind that in the height of summer and on a dry day the conditions are perfect for cricket between 9am and 8pm (possibly longer). Now I don't suggest the players play those hours, I'm no slave driver, however if you lose a days play it is quite easy, surely, to start at say 10.30 and finish half an hour later on the evening. Therefore in this game for instance, if you did that over the remaining 3 Days, you could claw back 3 hours. Which is half a full day's play and equivalent to 48 overs (ish).... I could go on, but I'll leave it at that for now and see what the rest of you think?!

rushworth has been head and shoulders above any of the bowlers in preseason other than onions so ive been told. he is there on merit.

Seriously?! Shite that. I thought 2pm was quite early to abandon play for the day. It perhaps brings me nicely to one of my main issues with Domestic Cricket though. That is 'lost time/overs', I can't believe more provisions aren't made for clawing back lost time/overs in Championship Cricket.

Bearing in mind that in the height of summer and on a dry day the conditions are perfect for cricket between 9am and 8pm (possibly longer). Now I don't suggest the players play those hours, I'm no slave driver, however if you lose a days play it is quite easy, surely, to start at say 10.30 and finish half an hour later on the evening. Therefore in this game for instance, if you did that over the remaining 3 Days, you could claw back 3 hours. Which is half a full day's play and equivalent to 48 overs (ish).... I could go on, but I'll leave it at that for now and see what the rest of you think?!

Fully agree with you mate. An extra hour per day should not be a problem for the players and would help to get results in rain-affected games.

The ECB never seem to think like us though.

Away game in the Big Smoke. They will have been clapping their hands at the 2pm finish. Straight on the sauce I imagine!

rushworth has been head and shoulders above any of the bowlers in preseason other than onions so ive been told. he is there on merit.

Rushworth has been doing alright for the 2nd XI.

off for the day

No chance of a result now, or even some play.
Unless they try and contrive a result which seems remote at this point of the season.

there will be 13 games left after this one and 8 to 10 wins likely needed to take the title. Its still do able but mother nature needs to start working for us.

I note on the luck or bad luck score that Stokes will miss the somerset game due to be called up for another pointless game for the Lions.

As safcdcc said earlier though, they miss Compton, Trescothick and Kirby for that game. Granted only Compton to the Lions.

In reflection - we've not been as badly hit this time as last year for Notts.

With regards to this game, just playing for bonus points now. It's hard to even see a game manipulated from here as rain is expected for Sunday but neither team will know just how much to expect, therefore it would be impossible for each side to know what a decent target would be.

Typical Southern weather :roll:

No chance of a result now, or even some play.

Lets hope we can get enough play to get as many bonus points as possible. We're already a bit off the pace due to losing to Notts, but because most games have been affected by the shit weather it shouldn't bother us much more than anyone else.

frustrating since only a little further south here in kent its been nice enough all day, and good enough for a few patches of play over the last 2.

hopefully we can pick up a couple of bonus points tomorrow

wont need 8-10 wins because in effect its a 14 game season now not 16 for pretty much all sides

the decision to let Davies go looks more bizarre with every passing Kent game. The fact his wretched run with injury ties into our last championship title isnt a coincidence. No wonder Kent are top of div 2, got the best opening bowler in the division

wont need 8-10 wins because in effect its a 14 game season now not 16 for pretty much all sides

the decision to let Davies go looks more bizarre with every passing Kent game. The fact his wretched run with injury ties into our last championship title isnt a coincidence. No wonder Kent are top of div 2, got the best opening bowler in the division
Warwickshire (longish shot) and Notts (likely) might yet win again, weather permitting, and if they do they press on further ahead. Durham will have 13 points - likely bottom of the table - and Notts will likely have over 60.

All supposition but I still maintain that Durham will need 8 to 10 wins.

As for Davies I still think, no matter what he does at Kent, that it was the right decision to let him go. He needed a new start and had got into a rut at Durham. Fair play to him so far this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back