LVCC D1 - Durham v Yorkshire

Status
Not open for further replies.

:lol: Jesus wept, we've been beaten by a superb knock from Root. They've chased the best part of 340 - hardly served it up on a plate for them.
He could have had his knock for a draw. People seem to be confusing a sporting declaration leading to an exciting final day with being f***ing stupidly generous. I only hope we're not 19 points behind the Tykes at the end of the season in 8th.

27 wanted off 14 overs ffs. :evil::evil::evil:

Well not sure what to say about that.

To leave a team 336 to win in the CC and see them knock it off is a rarity. However although I've seen some cracking innings in my time watching Durham rarely have I seen anyone bat as well as Root. He batted all day, was rarely troubled, looked confident, composed, cant remember him offering anything of any note and he was essentially the difference between the 2 sides.

The only blemish is that he somehow got himself out. Spoilt his day really.

As for Durham? Doesnt really change anything. We will be lower half of the table as predicted, mainly because our batting needs strengthening.

Bloody stupid, wicket at riverside gets flatter as the game goes on, unlucky with the light / rain last night, should have been giving the ball some real stick from Friday lunch on. Can see the temptation of putting them in late last night, but 335 was never enough, should have continued batting, last night, and maybe 20 mins this morning, set them 380-400, in 85 overs. Would have been able to bowl with attacking field all day then

Collingwood: "We pretty much dominated & one thing I have learnt as Captain is the declaration & trying to understand this pitch"

Apparently that was the 5th highest run chase in Yorkshires history. Hats off to Joe Root that must have been a special innings.

The lad is a class act, but we made it easier than it should have been for him by bowling him some rank bad balls at times.

For me Rushworth was the pick of the bowlers today and looked the most likely to take wkts, his figures back that up, 2-36 off 20 overs.

Thorp was economical as usual but didn't look threatening.

Onions bowled well at times but threw in a lot of 4 balls.

Stokes got 2 wkts but bowled too lose and got hammered for it and so did Borthwick, Stokes went for just under 5 and Borthwick just over 5 an over.

It was a disappointing result and we didn't bowl as a unit as well as we can.

The lad is a class act, but we made it easier than it should have been for him by bowling him some rank bad balls at times.

For me Rushworth was the pick of the bowlers today and looked the most likely to take wkts, his figures back that up, 2-36 off 20 overs.

Thorp was economical as usual but didn't look threatening.

Onions bowled well at times but threw in a lot of 4 balls.

Stokes got 2 wkts but bowled too lose and got hammered for it and so did Borthwick, Stokes went for just under 5 and Borthwick just over 5 an over.

It was a disappointing result and we didn't bowl as a unit as well as we can.
Whilst I agree with that at times you just have to hold up your hands and say that you were beaten by a better side on the day. That that sides win was all down to one batsman was immaterial.

Root was immense.

Gutted at this result which I hope doesn't send the team on a downer.

I was at the game yesterday and when play re started Yorkshire were a battered and bruised team who couldnt wait for the end of the day as depicted by their body language in the field. I was hoping for any bit of play we could get to make this lead uncatchable and declare overnight.

I was genuinely amazed when we declared. There had been only 2 possible results, a win or a draw and by declaring there were now 3. Gale would have been delighted and it was a great incentive for them to see of the 7 overs and reduce the target by about 20 leaving not much over 3 an over today.

Instead of 380 plus the lead was down near 300 and dont get me wrong, we should have defended this better and it was a great knock by Root, but could he have done this if his only incentive was to bat all day just for 3 points, maybe not.

Think we got this wrong, its not hindsight, thought the same last night.

Hope it doesn't hurt us too much and we can bounce back next match.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing but I think the warning signs that this game could be lost were there before the declaration. Form wise, our top 4 were the worst in the CC going into this match yet they managed to score 275 in 78 overs on a track that was getting flatter as the match went on.
By declaring went they did, Durham effectively gave Yorks an extra 25 overs and 6 wkts to score 61 more runs than our total.
It was a decision that turned out to be wrong, as the result proves.

Some on here are saying "it's only 3 points, and worth the risk" it isn't, it's the manner of the defeat that's damaging. Durham lost a game they dominated for three days to a relegation rival. Durham never looked like losing that game until the last day and that's what's damaging, handing a game to a side that had been outplayed for three days is a massive lift for them, and a demoralising blow to our players.

Colly has been an inspiration since he took over the captaincy, and I've no doubt we wouldn't still be in the 1st division were it not for his leadership, but this time he got it wrong, both off and on the field. It's always been Colly's mantra that Durham bowl tight and keep pressure on the batsmen to bring wkts, but that plan seemed to go out the window with persevering with Stokes and Borthwick for long periods when they were leaking runs.

Being overly cautious won't win games, but neither will being reckless, the trick is to get it right, Colly's a great captain but sometimes even great captains get it wrong, this game was one of those times.

I must be the only person who was happy with the declaration. It showed intent by Durham to try and win a game.

Sometimes it comes off and sometimes it doesnt.

I must be the only person who was happy with the declaration. It showed intent by Durham to try and win a game.

Sometimes it comes off and sometimes it doesnt.

I was happy too Luke mate. I still think it was the right decision too. Sometimes you've just got to hold your hands up and applaud that we were beaten by probably the best innings you'll see at Chester-le-street all season.

The knee jerk on here by some is embarrassing and let's face it, I'm usually one of the whingiest c*nts on here! We only lost 3 points ffs. Had we batted on the. All we'd have done wasted a chance to win the game because the draw would have been most likely.

The knee jerk on here by some is embarrassing
:evil::evil::evil:
I could take or leave your post until this. Don't be ridiculous. Anybody who knows anything about cricket knows without any hindsight it was a stupid and pointlessly generous declaration, even Colly himself judging by his comments about "learning", although to be frank it's a bit late in his career to be learning stuff like that.

Despite all of the well thought out reasons given above why we shouldn't have given them such a simple task of winning the match, all you can come back with is the still outside chance to win the game, and loss of 'only' 3 points, completely forgetting about the 13 extra minimum we gave them which could end up killing us at the end of the season. And as for being beaten by a decent innings, what about Stoneman's, or even Mustard's? Wasted.

While the running subject of declarations on this board is often contentious and some very deeply held and passionate views are often expressed, you ought to apologise to all of us for that pathetic insult.

Also, you are wrong and I am right, and, deep down, you know it: na na ne na naaaaaaaaa.

;)

you just have to hold up your hands and say that you were beaten by a better side on the day.
That's not great in a 4 day game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back