LVCC D1 - Durham v Yorkshire

Status
Not open for further replies.
:evil::evil::evil:
I could take or leave your post until this. Don't be ridiculous. Anybody who knows anything about cricket knows without any hindsight it was a stupid and pointlessly generous declaration, even Colly himself judging by his comments about "learning", although to be frank it's a bit late in his career to be learning stuff like that.

Despite all of the well thought out reasons given above why we shouldn't have given them such a simple task of winning the match, all you can come back with is the still outside chance to win the game, and loss of 'only' 3 points, completely forgetting about the 13 extra minimum we gave them which could end up killing us at the end of the season. And as for being beaten by a decent innings, what about Stoneman's, or even Mustard's? Wasted.

While the running subject of declarations on this board is often contentious and some very deeply held and passionate views are often expressed, you ought to apologise to all of us for that pathetic insult.

Also, you are wrong and I am right, and, deep down, you know it: na na ne na naaaaaaaaa.

;)

That's not great in a 4 day game.

I'm right, I'm right, *puts hands over ears* la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la!!!! I'm not listening. La la la la la la la!!!!!

I genuinely don't believe it was that generous. It was 336 on the fourth day and it took them 90 odd overs to do it. Looking back, if in those circumstances you can only take 6 wickets in 90 overs then you don deserve to win? One bloke scored 182 and that fucked us.

A generous declaration would have been a 270 lead. I can understand why Colly did it. I was egging him on to do it when the rain came on Friday. 7 tricky overs under murky skies. I know who's position I'd rather be in 99 times out of 100. That was Yorkshires fourth highest ever successful run chase. We just didn't bowl very well. Stokes and Borthwick especially. Plus add to that Colly probably didn't use his bowling options that well, mainly due to his persistence with them two.

I also wonder, for Notts especially, if its worth playing Wood for Thorp. Callum is still very accurate but to me he just doesn't have that wicket taking threat anymore. Been a great servant to DCCC but perhaps now we should look to give youth a chance. Wood and/or Harrison were decent last season when given the chance.

I genuinely don't believe it was that generous. It was 336 on the fourth day and it took them 90 odd overs to do it. Looking back, if in those circumstances you can only take 6 wickets in 90 overs then you don deserve to win? One bloke scored 182 and that fucked us.
It was less than 336 by the 4th morning, and despite losing 2 early wickets they still won it with ease. At one point they needed 28 off 14 overs with 5 wickets in hand. We rattled up 275 for the loss of only 4 at well over 3 an over. If Yorks can only take 4 wickets in 78 overs had they earned the chance to win? No they hadn't.

A generous declaration would have been a 270 lead. I can understand why Colly did it. I was egging him on to do it when the rain came on Friday. 7 tricky overs under murky skies. I know who's position I'd rather be in 99 times out of 100. That was Yorkshires fourth highest ever successful run chase. We just didn't bowl very well. Stokes and Borthwick especially. Plus add to that Colly probably didn't use his bowling options that well, mainly due to his persistence with them two.
The problem with that stat is that there aren't many daft captains leave them such a gettable target. What about unsuccessful chases over 336 after more realistic declarations? Probably dozens. And any professional cricket captain declaring and leaving a target of 270 in anything more than about 35 overs would be shot for stupidity, never mind generous. Ridiculous. And it was your fault for egging him on was it? :evil:

Anyway, now we've established who was right, hopefully peace can break out on the board and we'll win this week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back