"Luxury" car tax

What is Luxury Car Tax?​

In the UK, there is a new tax on cars over £40,000 that went into effect on April 1, 2021.
The tax, called the “luxury car tax,” is a surcharge on the Vehicle Excise Duty (VED) for cars that emit more than 150 grams of CO2 per kilometer.
Cars that fall into this category will have to pay an additional £320 per year for the first five years in which the standard VED is paid.
part of the reason for buying a top motor .....1 more year for me though.

And I will remind you I have been in a Lamborghini before telling you that you are on Ignore.

Just not a high paying job. Though it’s going up to just over £12 ph in July. It’s hard to make ends meet and get the material possessions that a lot of us desire and dream of. A lot of us only ever achieve possessions that are of an average level. A lot of us never quite aspire to our goals and dreams.

Which is why it is so frustrating when you see other people do. You wonder what they did so differently to you.

I don’t think I directly made a general insult. I believe all I did was make a lot of stereotypical assumptions about the middle classes.
Got time for the lad. Grafts and enjoys his life experiences. The Ignore thing is a bit odd but each to their own. We're not all the same.

I just saw someone coming across as jealous of people for having pretty normal things and blocking anyone pointing out his jealousy.
^ This.
It will be great when Labour get in and destroy the rich.
Never going to happen (the destroying bit).

They need them as much as any other political party - if only to charge them more tax.

Last edited:
You want to check out car taxes in other European countries.
Not just EU countries...I was in Singapore in 2022/2023 and a bloke I was working with was telling me about the loops you have to jump through and sums you have to pay out to get a car on the road there. He inherited a cheap runaround from his mother in law, but they limit the amount of vehicles on their roads there, and you have to basically enter into some kind of bidding process just to licence the car. I'm not sure precisely how it works but basically it cost him more in "tax" than the value of the vehicle itself.

Not just EU countries...I was in Singapore in 2022/2023 and a bloke I was working with was telling me about the loops you have to jump through and sums you have to pay out to get a car on the road there. He inherited a cheap runaround from his mother in law, but they limit the amount of vehicles on their roads there, and you have to basically enter into some kind of bidding process just to licence the car. I'm not sure precisely how it works but basically it cost him more in "tax" than the value of the vehicle itself.

No doubt that will be in the pipeline for london!

And I will remind you I have been in a Lamborghini before telling you that you are on Ignore.

Just not a high paying job. Though it’s going up to just over £12 ph in July. It’s hard to make ends meet and get the material possessions that a lot of us desire and dream of. A lot of us only ever achieve possessions that are of an average level. A lot of us never quite aspire to our goals and dreams.

Which is why it is so frustrating when you see other people do. You wonder what they did so differently to you.

I don’t think I directly made a general insult. I believe all I did was make a lot of stereotypical assumptions about the middle classes.
Don’t compare yourself to other people, you can read a lot into posts on here or Facebook where it seems people have everything. In reality that may not be the case and they are as unhappy as anyone. Enjoy what you have got and take the simple pleasures in life that will keep you ticking along nicely.

The public transport infrastructure would need to be 100 times better for this to work.

My commute to work is around 35 minutes by car. Never worked out how I would actually approach getting to work by public transport, I know there's no direct links, I'd think it would be a combo of at least bus / train / bus and would be a long, very expensive journey
Of course, even the best public transport can't accomodate people who need to get gear around in day to day life. Then there's people with disabilities, etc. There's the days out with your kids, visiting the countryside, Weekends away. camping, fishing...

People should be wary of any government that wants to restrict car ownership. There's nothing like the freedom of being able to go where you want, when you want.
I generally do less than 3000 miles a year, probably less than 1000 right now due to health issues, but the wife (no) who is ill and disabled, would be absolutely fcked without the car. It'd be a miserable existence without private transport. I doubt she'd ever leave the house again.

The two things the wife likes to do outside the house are having a drive around North Yorkshire, The Lakes, Northumberland etc. and going to dog shows a few times a year. We take three dogs, ourselves and my daughter (no) with a load of gear.
No car means the end of that. I suppose the anti car brigade would be thrilled if we lost that lifeline. There's loads of other activities that would be all but killed off if we banned cars.

People trying to sell public transport as the answer to all our transport needs are delusional. It's great to have, but it's not a replacement for private transport.
The number of cars on my estate alone tells me that people are willing to pay a lot of money to run their cars and don't want to lose them. As electric cars are replacing ICE based cars, and we use increasingly more renewable energy sources, car haters will no doubt have to find something else about them to bleat about.

Last edited:
Don’t compare yourself to other people, you can read a lot into posts on here or Facebook where it seems people have everything. In reality that may not be the case and they are as unhappy as anyone. Enjoy what you have got and take the simple pleasures in life that will keep you ticking along nicely.

Well said. Never a truer word hath been spoken. 👍

Pauls autistic and your behaviour on this thread is bordering on a hate crime.

He attends all home games and is a true petrol head.
Being autistic doesn’t give people free rein to say and do whatever they like without being challenged tho. As long as it’s kept civil and without personal insults obviously.
I’ve never mocked the lad or any other vulnerable poster on here Drew.

Goodbye
Errrr…goodbye.

Last edited:
And how long do you think that will last as revenue from fuel sales and taxation on ice vehicles falls?
Long enough , does for now
Looks like they are according to this.

Yes you lay the 185 from next year- but yes looks like nee will be it. I’ve got one now so I’ll be ok

Last edited:
Because the CEx is a money grabbing Tory bastard. See also personal allowances.
It’s this to be fair. It’s why despite us getting more pay due to NI reductions we’d be 40% better off on the increase if they raised the tax threshold. Not sure if the list car tax affects EVs buts most of those are over £40k

Back