Lung capacity, natural running prowess etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

If I run/play footy any more than every other day my legs are good for nothing. When they say a footballer's legs have 'gone' is how I feel now.
I had a bad knee injury last year and really struggling to get any kind of fitness back.

Swimming, cycling, rowing?

I don't think that I've ever ran on 2 consecutive days over the past 25 years, I have seen running plans where people do so or even do a session in the morning and one later in the day.

Could you do this?

MON = Race pace run.
WED/THURS = short fast run.
SAT = long run.

I don't think that I've ever ran on 2 consecutive days over the past 25 years, I have seen running plans where people do so or even do a session in the morning and one later in the day.

Could you do this?

MON = Race pace run.
SAT = long run.

Google Alex Viada and have a look at his stuff.

Could you do this?

MON = Race pace run.
SAT = long run.

I do most of my weekly mileage over three days......Tuesdays 11.5 miles to work and same home.....Friday same then a longer run on a weekend......I do it this way as train for ultra marathons so want my body to get used to the fact I will run on tired legs. Yes you can do it, your body is an incredible machine and like any other type of exercise will adapt and in time do as its told :cool:

I do most of my weekly mileage over three days......Tuesdays 11.5 miles to work and same home.....Friday same then a longer run on a weekend......I do it this way as train for ultra marathons so want my body to get used to the fact I will run on tired legs. Yes you can do it, your body is an incredible machine and like any other type of exercise will adapt and in time do as its told :cool:

Ta for the update. I did 4 runs over the hols, the longest was about 7.5 miles in just under 55 mins. My goal for this year is to run a sub 40 minute 10k which I think is achievable.

Ta for the update. I did 4 runs over the hols, the longest was about 7.5 miles in just under 55 mins. My goal for this year is to run a sub 40 minute 10k which I think is achievable.

That's my target for the end of this year... Was my target for the end of 2015, but things went boobs up in July 'life-wise' and I basically stopped running. Back out tonight though! First run in 5 months.... *sigh*

That's my target for the end of this year... Was my target for the end of 2015, but things went boobs up in July 'life-wise' and I basically stopped running. Back out tonight though! First run in 5 months.... *sigh*

You have to (re-)start somewhere mate. At the moment I think that 42 mins will be more realistic for a 10k but I still have 2 months to train. It's interesting trying out different sessions in my training plan and I'm keen to see if it makes a difference when I do a 5k time trial in a few weeks. I was just running as fast as I could over 4 miles to keep myself in trim or to shed some calories before a weekend takeaway.

You have to (re-)start somewhere mate. At the moment I think that 42 mins will be more realistic for a 10k but I still have 2 months to train. It's interesting trying out different sessions in my training plan and I'm keen to see if it makes a difference when I do a 5k time trial in a few weeks. I was just running as fast as I could over 4 miles to keep myself in trim or to shed some calories before a weekend takeaway.

I got my PB down to 45:21 in Aug (first one I ever ran was about 12 months prior and was 1:12:00 ish, I think!), but I was starting to hit a wall at maintaining 4:30 KM's... That was me at my limit (at the time). Worked out a massive training program to change the way I was training and got the first week of runs done, then stopped all together!

I reckon, with a solid plan in place that I can stick to, downhill AND with the wind up my arse, by Dec 2016 I could possibly lose 30secs per km... Possibly... So that's my target! :D

I got my PB down to 45:21 in Aug (first one I ever ran was about 12 months prior and was 1:12:00 ish, I think!), but I was starting to hit a wall at maintaining 4:30 KM's... That was me at my limit (at the time). Worked out a massive training program to change the way I was training and got the first week of runs done, then stopped all together!

I reckon, with a solid plan in place that I can stick to, downhill AND with the wind up my arse, by Dec 2016 I could possibly lose 30secs per km... Possibly... So that's my target! :D

Yes I've probably said before on here that I had it in my mind that I'd run 8 minute miles when I did a bit of running about 10 years ago. I did the Nottingham half marathon in 2006, 2007 and 2008, finishing the first at 1h 58m, 2007 in about 1h 52m and the 3rd at 1h 46m.

I get bored easily so switch between the gym and running but for the first quarter of this year at least I would like to run a 'fast' (for me) 10k. I have struck lucky as my mate is a running coach and I bumped into him last week so I have a few new ideas to try before a 10k in March. Have fun tonight on your run.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back