Lung capacity, natural running prowess etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
To be a really good runner do you need to be blessed with the necessary genetics?

I.e. lung capacity, strong cardio vascular system, long legs (??!!!) etc.?

Is there anything that you can improve via exercises or is it a case of doing the best with what you have and to formulate the best training programme, diet etc.?

I've always wondered if there is any sport that my body is best suited for, I was told at the weekend that it should be decent for cycling but I've read conflicting information.

To be a really good runner do you need to be blessed with the necessary genetics?

Is there anything that you can improve via exercises or is it a case of doing the best with what you have and to formulate the best training programme, diet etc.?

I've always wondered if there is any sport that my body is best suited for, I was told at the weekend that it should be decent for cycling but I've read conflicting information.

Genetics certainly does influence athletic performance. However, your CV system will improve with more aerobic exercise, regardless of genetic background. Heart stroke volume improves, blood circulation system improves, energy storage & metabolism etc. I think that any Average Joe can train themselves to run a marathon in a 'good' time.

Thanks a lot for the replies. @becs can you lend me the book please? I'll pay for postage or collect it on the weekend of the mags match. Ta. I'll lend you something in exchange.

The legend that is Bas Rutten invented these

http://www.o2trainer.com/

Nee idea if they they work but it sounds like they would

Is it not the same as training at altitude?

Restriciting the oxygen?

I've never looked it to it like

Nah.

At altitude there is a reduced partial pressure of oxygen, reducing the oxygen saturation of your blood, resulting in the production of more erythropoietin etc. It requires prolonged exposure throughout the day for a long period of time. So a lot of athletes will live high and then come down a few thousand feet to train, because altitude makes training so hard.

These masks come with a shit load of the negatives but none of the benefits. It makes your training worse, but there's no positive trade off. If anything it just increases the odds of you getting worse because you can't maintain the appropriate work output.

Nah.

At altitude there is a reduced partial pressure of oxygen, reducing the oxygen saturation of your blood, resulting in the production of more erythropoietin etc. It requires prolonged exposure throughout the day for a long period of time. So a lot of athletes will live high and then come down a few thousand feet to train, because altitude makes training so hard.

These masks come with a shit load of the negatives but none of the benefits. It makes your training worse, but there's no positive trade off. If anything it just increases the odds of you getting worse because you can't maintain the appropriate work output.

Good to know mate, I would never waste my money on one anyways but the OP seemed like the fad type so posted it :lol:

What about altitude chambers?

They are all the range with UFC fighters atm

Good to know mate, I would never waste my money on one anyways but the OP seemed like the fad type so posted it :lol:

What about altitude chambers?

They are all the range with UFC fighters atm

:lol: How did you assume that? I just want to run faster over a distance of 4ish miles. :lol:

To demonstrate that I'm not into anything modern or 'fads' this is my mobile phone (not as new as in the pic).

Logon or register to see this image

I found a PDF of some slides. That's saved me a tenner that I can invest towards my retirement portfolio.

https://www.humankinetics.com/AcuCustom/Sitename/DAM/094/The_Art_of_Running_Faster_Slides.pdf

:lol:

I found a PDF of some slides. That's saved me a tenner that I can invest towards my retirement portfolio.

https://www.humankinetics.com/AcuCustom/Sitename/DAM/094/The_Art_of_Running_Faster_Slides.pdf
Think i'll use that mesel :lol: I am a tight fucker

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back