Loosing Josh Maja... was that the turning point ?

• Thread starter Deleted member 47649
  • Start date

When Josh Maja didn't sign a new contract I was gutted when he left for Bordeaux . The lad was turning into an exciting young striker with 17 goals mid season. So why didnt "the board" manage to keep Josh at this great club.?

To me this was one of the worst mistakes we made under new ownership. The clubs never been the same since then.
Now some Premier League Clubs are no doubt eyeing up Josh ( £10 million range ) and as usual we end up cursing the management.
Of course it was . I said so at the time and the fact that we don't have a proven goalscorer cost us promotion last season and ultimately Ross his job.

When Josh Maja didn't sign a new contract I was gutted when he left for Bordeaux . The lad was turning into an exciting young striker with 17 goals mid season. So why didnt "the board" manage to keep Josh at this great club.?

To me this was one of the worst mistakes we made under new ownership. The clubs never been the same since then.
Now some Premier League Clubs are no doubt eyeing up Josh ( £10 million range ) and as usual we end up cursing the management.

Moyse was the turning point

Stewy tried to outplay his agent. Which he has tried to do since day one. Made us a target for agent with shit players on their books who needed clubs and couldn’t get one elsewhere.
That’s certainly the way it played out in the press with “he’s definitely staying” followed by “I’ve given him an ultimatum” followed by “he’s just cleared out his locker I don’t get it”.

Playing hardball wasn’t the way to go. Keeping him to the end of the season was. A blind man could see the only reason we were promotion contenders was Maja was banging the goals in.

Last edited:
Not just Maja....

Losing Sam Allardyce to England was the turning point...
Giving money to Steve Bruce after selling Bent and Gyan was the turning point
Allowing Steve Bruce to remain in charge after winning only three home games in a calendar year was the turning point.
Letting Martin O'Neil buy Danny Graham for £6 m was the turning point.

Etc ,etc ,etc

Yes TC some times you need to look back and see where it....
Not this shit again..............:rolleyes:
TC.... Officer dibble here. Sometime you need to look back before you can go forward. At this moment in time I cant see a way forward .. I put a stop to next years season card but feel a bit guilty if im honest.
( this shit again) went wrong

Everything wrong at our club can be traced back to the summer of 2009.

We had relegated the Mag and struck a decisive blow in the War for Supremacy.
Mr Sbragia had used his powers of charm, vision and persuasion to negotiate the agreement for Dzeko and Neymar to join the club.

Instead we chose the wrong path.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing, but I don’t think we should have really done anything different. He asked for a contract, we offered it, albeit not at the first time of asking, the time in between his stock rose as he scored more goals than were expected. Donald gets a lot of stick on here, rightly so, however accepting a first request in a negotiation was supposed to be what we were trying to move from. Let’s be honest, there’s not one person who wanted him to start the season as our no.1 striker, anyone who said they did is a liar. 4 months later his head is turned by a better offer at a top flight team. Everyone, I expect him included was surprised by his quick rise.
We should of signed a replacement before we let him go. Basics that in my book....

The truth of the matter is that the club was making dumb decisions from day one of the Donald era. The Maja one was just the visible one - albeit it was as much about how they replaced him as losing him in the first place.

Aye should offered him 10k a week as soon as he scored his forst

Thick & Greedy is the best Words for those running Sunderland

Back