Lockerbie

You've got to wonder what kind of subhuman scum could have the mindset to murder that number of people in the name of their pisspot cause. It still happens today as well with murderers like hamas. Man really is a stain on this planet. At least other species kill to eat and survive.
I've been to the Lockerbie memorial and it's very sobering to see names and pictures of the innocent people who were taken that night. I remember that night well it's like 9/11, you can never forget it.

There’s a small museum at a cemetery just outside the town, not much to see other than a few photographs and press cuttings from the night. There’s also a garden of rememberance in the cemetery dedicated to those lost that night, really brings home what happened seeing all those names on the plaques, so many lost in such a small rural town.

1998 was an awful year. Lockerbie came hard on the heels of Piper Alpha. So many lives lost in a short space of time.

There’s a memorial cairn at Arlington National Cemetery which I made a point of finding to pay my respects when I was in DC

You've got to wonder what kind of subhuman scum could have the mindset to murder that number of people in the name of their pisspot cause. It still happens today as well with murderers like hamas. Man really is a stain on this planet. At least other species kill to eat and survive.
I've been to the Lockerbie memorial and it's very sobering to see names and pictures of the innocent people who were taken that night. I remember that night well it's like 9/11, you can never forget it.
revenge on the paymaster came in 2011 when Gaddafi had a bayonet shoved up his jacksie before being shot

The recent documentary (Lockerbie) on Sky was brilliant. Did a great job of not only bringing to life the pain and struggles of the victims' families, but also the amazing humanity shown by (and also the impact on) the people of Lockerbie.

1998 was an awful year. Lockerbie came hard on the heels of Piper Alpha. So many lives lost in a short space of time.

There’s a memorial cairn at Arlington National Cemetery which I made a point of finding to pay my respects when I was in DC
I was just thinking earlier that there were a few tragedies in the space of a few years, the Bradford football fire, Zebrugge ferry disaster, Piper Alpha, Lockerbie and Hillsborough not long after.

I was just thinking earlier that there were a few tragedies in the space of a few years, the Bradford football fire, Zebrugge ferry disaster, Piper Alpha, Lockerbie and Hillsborough not long after.
There was a positive happening at that time when the Berlin wall came down in 89. Another never to be forgotten moment in time. Obviously memorable for a completely different reason to the other events.

Like most i suppose whenever you pass signs for the place this is all you think of, likewise Dunblane.
The picture of the 747 cockpit led on the floor was one of the most sadly iconic images of the 80s.

There was another crash at Kegworth around this time iirc.
Yeh iirc a plane landed short of the runway (east mid) on the a1. Theres a plaque by the motorway. Read a book on sas and some soldiers were first on the scene and dragged some survivors out of the plane. Some wanted them to get honours etc for it n Thatcher declined.

Last edited:
There’s a small museum at a cemetery just outside the town, not much to see other than a few photographs and press cuttings from the night. There’s also a garden of rememberance in the cemetery dedicated to those lost that night, really brings home what happened seeing all those names on the plaques, so many lost in such a small rural town.
Aye, it’s a beautiful garden of remembrance. I walk past it every day with the dog.

Still find it astonishing we released the one person convicted after 8 years.

Survived another 3 years after his release on compassionate grounds. Remember that Covid gonk, Karol Sikora, he was the doctor that said he had months to live

How did the bomb get on the plane?
It was in a radio-cassette player in a suitcase. I think it had been put on the plane on the first leg of the journey from Frankfurt to Heathrow.
Yeah very poignant, particularly when you see all the names listed out 😞

Last edited:
I was working for an american company at the time couple of engineers (I didn't personally know them )from our firm where on that flight going back home for the holidays.
Sad

Back