Loads of ‘apprenticeships’ are just low-skilled jobs

Status
Not open for further replies.
With most apprenticeships its clear to see if they are just going to be a piss take, a company paying £110ish a week to do the bare minimum admin tasks and offer them a Level 2 qualification for it.

There are still lots of others which offer you a decent way to start and build your career by sponsoring decent qualifications and degrees while working whilst offering you more money with it.

Did mine early 90's, 1st off the job training at Bradford college, 3 years back at site will log books and appraisals by 3rd party EITB. My HND still carried on after I'd come through the 4 years. With that under my belt, could walk into most engineering jobs in my field, and did so, went overseas as one of youngest ever to go overseas outside Babcocks degree scheme, most them went by the way side, i carried on, love it, still overseas.

Did mine early 90's, 1st off the job training at Bradford college, 3 years back at site will log books and appraisals by 3rd party EITB. My HND still carried on after I'd come through the 4 years. With that under my belt, could walk into most engineering jobs in my field, and did so, went overseas as one of youngest ever to go overseas outside Babcocks degree scheme, most them went by the way side, i carried on, love it, still overseas.

you're on a computer in your mams bedroom aren't you ? :lol:

I was one of the last intake of "proper" apprentices in 1982 in the shipyards. After that the younger kids who came in were on YTS schemes. I got to go through college and get a HNC. University education was never talked about or offered as an option on careers nights. Usually it was the armed forces, electric board, etc. who turned up to give careers advice.

In saying that I would not have changed a thing, I think going to work at 16-20 years old gives you a good rounded grounding in life. After that, if you decide you want to go into further education great. I see far too may kids pushed into going to university to get a useless degree and waste some of the best years of their lives. University in now just a business, who want as many recruits as they can get, regardless of the outcome.

I will be encouraging my kids to go and work after leaving school and learn a trade (plumbing, electrical, mechanic). They can learn without building up a huge debt, and should they chose so, they can go into further education with a good idea of what they want to do with their lives.

Working in heavy industry with blokes of all ages, gives you not just an idea of what you want to do with you life, but also what you do not want to end up doing for the rest of your life............

Probably suited the government on moving stats on employment about .Don't ask too many questions just give them the subsidies
Only ones I've dealt with are modern apprenticeships which although it's not the classic Engineering ,science, industry type stuff it was multi layered learning of a particular job
Warehousing etc

I was one of the last intake of "proper" apprentices in 1982 in the shipyards. After that the younger kids who came in were on YTS schemes. I got to go through college and get a HNC. University education was never talked about or offered as an option on careers nights. Usually it was the armed forces, electric board, etc. who turned up to give careers advice.

In saying that I would not have changed a thing, I think going to work at 16-20 years old gives you a good rounded grounding in life. After that, if you decide you want to go into further education great. I see far too may kids pushed into going to university to get a useless degree and waste some of the best years of their lives. University in now just a business, who want as many recruits as they can get, regardless of the outcome.

I will be encouraging my kids to go and work after leaving school and learn a trade (plumbing, electrical, mechanic). They can learn without building up a huge debt, and should they chose so, they can go into further education with a good idea of what they want to do with their lives.

Working in heavy industry with blokes of all ages, gives you not just an idea of what you want to do with you life, but also what you do not want to end up doing for the rest of your life............
Agree with all that but with the best will in the world how broad an outlook do you nourish in the local Forge our whatever ?
Most Uni places are away from where you grew up and may just give you the wings to work anywhere in the world

Last edited:
Probably suited the government on moving stats on employment about .Don't ask too many questions just give them the subsidies
Only ones I've dealt with are modern apprenticeships which although it's not the classic Engineering ,science, industry type stuff it was multi layered learning of a particular job
Warehousing etc

Agree with all that but with the best will in the world how broad an outlook do you nourish in the local Forge our whatever ?
Most Uni places are away from where you grew up and may just give you the wings to work anywhere in the world

You get blokes telling you that you don't want to be doing this for the rest of your life, encouraging you to spread you wings and not get stuck in a rut

You get blokes telling you that you don't want to be doing this for the rest of your life, encouraging you to spread you wings and not get stuck in a rut
You do ,we did back then ,doing it is another thing
I think you develop risk as you see more or don't even see it as risk
The reason they all say is because it happens a lot and it's hard to be the one who takes the advice

Friends son started at the chippy at NS Fish Quay (not the waterfront - the other one - oceans iirc) 17 years old worked 80 hours and came out with £120. I spoke to him when he started and he said 'starting an apprenticeship' I thought to peel spuds and fry fish? Anyway after is first few weeks his mother made him quit.

Can be alreet, our place has taken a few and they've all been either taken on properly or found work elsewhere, plus they get used to a proper work environment.

As usual though the corporates see it as easy money and take the piss.

When I was bound apprentice in famous Lincolnshire
‘Twas well I served my master for nigh on seven years
Till I took up to poaching as you shall quickly hear
O’ ‘‘Tis my delight on a shining night in the season of the year.

Our place gets them in under a legit trade but just uses them as cheap labour and they learn nout. Then boom 4 years later they still know fuck all

Happened to me when I left school, got a joinery apprenticeship, gaffer was an absolutely wanker and basically had me sweeping floors and labouring for two years before I ended up telling him to fuck off on site one day and quit, didn't learn a thing from him except for how not to people manage.

On the other hand we have Grads at our place who believe they should be managing functions after two years experience.
Didn’t harm me starting at the bottom providing that you are treated fairly and there are opportunities. You also need luck.

I noticed this while looking for an apprenticeship for my son a couple of years ago. I would say the vast majority of "apprenticeships" listed on the find an apprenticeship website were low skilled jobs rebranded as apprenticeships.

One of my favourites was "apprentice sandwich artist" at subway.

Desperation and being very naive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back