Loads of ‘apprenticeships’ are just low-skilled jobs

I’ve been saying this for years. Apprentice Receptionist. Apprentice Admin Assistant. Apprentice Customer Service Advisor.

All nonsense. Lies to exploit young people to do the jobs that other colleagues are doing, but for the apprenticeship wage rather than the adult wage, and no career path, like a proper trade.

Thankfully someone seems to have finally noticed:

Low-skill jobs 'rebadged as apprenticeships'

Fast food giants, coffee shops and retailers are relabelling low-skilled jobs as apprenticeships and gaining subsidies for training, a report says.

The study by centre-right think tank Reform says many firms have rebranded existing roles after being obliged to contribute cash to on-the-job training.

It adds that 40% of government-approved apprenticeship standards do not meet a traditional definition of them.

Our place gets them in under a legit trade but just uses them as cheap labour and they learn nout. Then boom 4 years later they still know fuck all

Apprentice burger flipper.

If the truth be told we have such a low-skilled workforce that it's hard to be an apprentice in owt worthwhile.

I’ve been saying this for years. Apprentice Receptionist. Apprentice Admin Assistant. Apprentice Customer Service Advisor.

All nonsense. Lies to exploit young people to do the jobs that other colleagues are doing, but for the apprenticeship wage rather than the adult wage, and no career path, like a proper trade.

Thankfully someone seems to have finally noticed:

Low-skill jobs 'rebadged as apprenticeships'

Fast food giants, coffee shops and retailers are relabelling low-skilled jobs as apprenticeships and gaining subsidies for training, a report says.

The study by centre-right think tank Reform says many firms have rebranded existing roles after being obliged to contribute cash to on-the-job training.

It adds that 40% of government-approved apprenticeship standards do not meet a traditional definition of them.
Whilst I'm not suprised by this in the slightest, especially considering the government give companies money for training apprentice's. I don't know why kids think these are real careers, surely they can work out theres a difference between a coffee maker and an electrician. The first flag should be when they don't send you to college on day release.

I noticed this while looking for an apprenticeship for my son a couple of years ago. I would say the vast majority of "apprenticeships" listed on the find an apprenticeship website were low skilled jobs rebranded as apprenticeships.

One of my favourites was "apprentice sandwich artist" at subway.

Whilst I'm not suprised by this in the slightest, especially considering the government give companies money for training apprentice's. I don't know why kids think these are real careers, surely they can work out theres a difference between a coffee maker and an electrician. The first flag should be when they don't send you to college on day release.

Young kids who haven't gone to further education, can see them as earning a bit of money, with the possibility of being kept on at the end, while also looking for a proper job.

Young kids who haven't gone to further education, can see them as earning a bit of money, with the possibility of being kept on at the end, while also looking for a proper job.
Well that's partly their own fault for taking these apprenticeships. If you are looking to get an apprenticeship, it should be in a career you want to learn, master and make money from. The companies aren't sending them to college. First flag. It's in coffee making which is a couple of days training max. Second flag. They have no previous apprentices who are now making money as management. Third flag.

It's just the same as yts scheme in the 80s tho isn't it just re branded. I'm lucky to have done an apprenticeship and I've trained loads in my time. But I find now the kids can't be arsed with the hands on. It's a shame

It's just the same as yts scheme in the 80s tho isn't it just re branded. I'm lucky to have done an apprenticeship and I've trained loads in my time. But I find now the kids can't be arsed with the hands on. It's a shame

The children of New Labour (ie those who went to secondary school in the late 90s and onwards) were pushed and pushed and pushed to go to university

The idea of trades and apprenticeships were only offered to the kids who were failing their GCSEs.

Looking back, and especially so having spent some time working with a team of tradesmen in a previous job, that was the wrong approach, but it was easy to internalise at the time that you did trades if you were thick.

Clearly that isn’t the case as I have two degrees and can barely work a spanner whilst there’s undoubtedly a lad from my year in school who learned to be a plumber and can probably take a boiler apart and put it back together again

But I would expect if you spoke to someone my age they’d tell you the same, and I expect it still happens now

We need a fundamental shift away from people going to university for a silly degree and back towards people who make things and fix things - either trades or in new technologies

I'm haven't and am not arguing apprentice sammich maker is a proper job. Of course it's not.

In was merely pointing out its an option for kids as a stop gap, until they find something else.

The companies shouldn't be allowed to exploit the youngsters like this though, stop gap or not.

If these jobs were not classed as apprenticeships, the companies could not employ 16/17 year olds full time as 16/17 year olds have to remain in education, or training (at least part time) until they are 18.

Because these jobs are classed as apprenticeships, the companies can get away with paying the apprentice minimum wage of £3.70 p/h for a full time staff member, as opposed to having to employ an 18 year old full time and paying them £5.90 per hour, or even employing 2/3 part time 16/17 year olds and paying them the 16/17 year old minimum wage of £4.20 per hour.

It is a complete disgrace that some of the jobs that are calling themselves apprenticeships are actually allowed to continue to do so in my opinion.

Last edited:
The companies shouldn't be allowed to exploit the youngsters like this though, stop gap or not.

If these jobs were not classed as apprenticeships, the companies could not employ 16/17 year olds full time as 16/17 year olds have to remain in education, or training (at least part time) until they are 18.

Because these jobs are classed as apprenticeships, the companies can get away with paying the apprentice minimum wage of £3.40 p/h for a full time staff member, as opposed to having to employ an 18 year old full time and paying them £5.55 per hour, or even employing 2/3 part time 16/17 year olds and paying them the 16/17 year old minimum wage of £4.00 per hour.

It is a complete disgrace that some of the jobs that are calling themselves apprenticeships are actually allowed to continue to do so in my opinion.

I'd think the kids use the apprenticeship as much as they're being used.

They'll drop it like its hot, if a better offer came along.

They're not signing a blood oath to remain there on a low income for the rest of the lives.

I'd think the kids use the apprenticeship as much as they're being used.

They'll drop it like its hot, if a better offer came along.

They're not signing a blood oath to remain there on a low income for the rest of the lives.

Neither is anyone on the NMW doing any job. Obviously some of these apprentices will get something out of it though.

Problem is these jobs are being offered and colleges will obviously be pushing them because it’s all about targets and figures, etc

Spending two years as an apprentice receptionist is a waste of time. Totally.

I’ve done that job in three different places and it is piss easy. Doesn’t take two years to learn how to do it. It’s just exploiting a young person for a cheap wage. If you’re paying someone aged 18 with no experience £5.55 and someone aged 16 with no experience £3.40, you’re exploiting them.

Back