LNER

Status
Not open for further replies.

Go down to London at least 2-3 times a month and never normally have much bother. Reserve a seat on the way down and be like a greyhound leaving the traps in Kings Cross to bag the better seats on the way back.

No trains on August bank holiday weekend so having to fly down and British Airways have rolled me (well the company I work for) over for £395 😱

Go down to London at least 2-3 times a month and never normally have much bother. Reserve a seat on the way down and be like a greyhound leaving the traps in Kings Cross to bag the better seats on the way back.

No trains on August bank holiday weekend so having to fly down and British Airways have rolled me (well the company I work for) over for £395 😱
I was gutted when the Stansted route ended. Meant BA had zero competition for flights to London.
Quite often its not much more to fly to Amsterdam on the way.

Who has so little nous about them not to a) move further than the vestibule they first board b) check other coaches and c) knowing the train stops at least at Darlington York Peterborough (mostly) that someone is going to get up and free up a seat at some point.

The only time you'd ever be standing all the way to London is after cancellations or at Christmas or something.

Meals and free teas a coffee weekdays, Sarnis and cakes on weekend.
Plus a major shot of entitlement above those sitting, more likely standing in "steerage"

It can mount up the extra cost, but I think it is generally well worth it. Especially on a Sunday if I'm a bit hungover heading back south as I wont have to zanies talking about their stag do in Newcastle while playing shite music through their phones without the headphones on. You tend not to get those sort of clowns in first.

It can mount up the extra cost, but I think it is generally well worth it. Especially on a Sunday if I'm a bit hungover heading back south as I wont have to zanies talking about their stag do in Newcastle while playing shite music through their phones without the headphones on. You tend not to get those sort of clowns in first.

Even better if your in first for free because your spouse works at HQ in York:)

Lack of toilets, charging points for phones, reservation indicators dont work, shit luggsge space, dedicated large luggage lockers no instructions, directions to facilities like bogs or food bar are painted on wall

I was on one today and thought they were good. None of the above issues and the seat reservation indicator was clearly informing me that I was sitting in someone’s reserved seat.
What do you get with a 1st Class ticket and how much more than 2nd Class are they nowadays? Stopped bothering as there hardly seemed any difference for the additional cost.

I have had first class tickets for cheaper than standard class before, all to do with the tranches in which they are sold I was told by the train ticket geezer
Meals and free teas a coffee weekdays, Sarnis and cakes on weekend.
Plus a major shot of entitlement above those sitting, more likely standing in "steerage"

Don’t you get beer anymore midweek?

Last edited:
The trains in this country are an absolute mess man.

Go travelling around the rest of western Europe by train then compare them with the shower here; faster, cleaner, wider carriages, separate cars for eating and drinking, cheaper, stations with proper facilities such as actual luggage lockers etc.

Not sure nationalisation is even the answer really. The system is completely fragmented not just in terms of operators but also restrictions for speed limits on different parts of the network and rolling stock of hugely varying ages breaking down and causing delays. Those flashy new azuma trains on the east coast line can't even go any faster than the 40 year old HSTs they are replacing for instance due to the sh1te infrastructure. Embarassing.

Whole thing needs completely overhauling.

The trains in this country are an absolute mess man.

Go travelling around the rest of western Europe by train then compare them with the shower here; faster, cleaner, wider carriages, separate cars for eating and drinking, cheaper, stations with proper facilities such as actual luggage lockers etc.

Not sure nationalisation is even the answer really. The system is completely fragmented not just in terms of operators but also restrictions for speed limits on different parts of the network and rolling stock of hugely varying ages breaking down and causing delays. Those flashy new azuma trains on the east coast line can't even go any faster than the 40 year old HSTs they are replacing for instance due to the sh1te infrastructure. Embarassing.

Whole thing needs completely overhauling.
The ECML was electrified on the cheap. They’re paying for it now.

Lack of toilets, charging points for phones, reservation indicators dont work, shit luggsge space, dedicated large luggage lockers no instructions, directions to facilities like bogs or food bar are painted on wall

That was a result the other week as people were told to sit anywhere.

Claimed my money back under the seat guarantee scheme..

Now if they used the old paper reservation in the back of the seat none of the chaos would have ensued..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back