Lighter weights more reps

Status
Not open for further replies.

PhilSAFC

Striker
So I've injured my arm like a tit and am thinking this lifting heavy lark is not for me long term. My joints are taking a hammering if I'm being honest. The thing is though it's easy to judge when you lift heavy as I know I'm right when I'm hitting that 8-10 rep range.

But what do I do for a lighter weight more reps? And is it as effective at building muscle?

Last edited:

So I've injured my arm like a tit and am thinking this lifting heavy lark is not for me long term. My joints are taking a hammering if I'm being honest. The thing is though it's easy to judge when you lift heavy as I know I'm right when I'm hitting that 8-10 rep range.

But what do I do for a lighter weight more reps? And is it as effective at building muscle?

Focus on time under tension in 8-12 rep range and you'll grow. More than you would lifting heavy weights.

Titus said:
How heavy are you going now as a % of 1rm?

Never done a 1rm so not sure. Generally just go as heavy as I can where I can reach 10 reps. For example on Bench press at the moment I use 24kg dumb bells for 3 sets. Third set I usually struggle to hit reps 8 but previous sets I can do 10.

I don't know if theres a science to it but given your example I'd just do a session with 18s and do more reps. Listen to your body and see how it feels afterwards.

I done a session yesterday like that and I was absolutely f***ing shattered. Couldn't lift my arms at the end :lol:

Titus will be along any minute to correct me, don't worry if its duff advice ;)

UaeExile said:
I don't know if theres a science to it but given your example I'd just do a session with 18s and do more reps. Listen to your body and see how it feels afterwards.

I done a session yesterday like that and I was absolutely f***ing shattered. Couldn't lift my arms at the end :lol:

Titus will be along any minute to correct me, don't worry if its duff advice ;)

Just want to make sure I'm not wasting my time. I've made some great progress lately strength wise and results wise and don't want to let that go to waste.

so doing this will be better than ripptoe ss?

For hypertrophy, yes. For strength gains, no.

Just drop the weight slightly and focus more on controlling the negative part of the exercise, slower negatives.

Titus said:

Just drop the weight slightly and focus more on controlling the negative part of the exercise, slower negatives.

Ok I will give this a go. Been reading up a bit and it seems it's just as effective as lifting heavy. Will training like this improve my joint issues?

Lewberry pie said:
do you supplement for joints?

are you sure you aren't doing too many sets

Cod liver oil.

Not doing too much IMO. My wrists are very skinny though and my left one has been sore this week causing pain in my forearm to the point I'm worried I'll cause serious damage if I continue to lift heavy. On the other hand it might just be strained and week off and it will be back to business as usual.

Concentrate on eccentric rep movement (As I think you should do anyway like), mobilise thoroughly pain free before trying reps

Cod liver oil.

Not doing too much IMO. My wrists are very skinny though and my left one has been sore this week causing pain in my forearm to the point I'm worried I'll cause serious damage if I continue to lift heavy. On the other hand it might just be strained and week off and it will be back to business as usual.

aye its my elbows and shoulders that hurt if anything does I take cod liver oil, omega 3 when I haven't had fish and glucosamine(sp) which helps a lot I've had shoulder bother all me life as they dislocate.

Thanks for the info bud......iv'e got similar problems to Phil......joints start hurting if i try to lift heavier. The curse of being skinny...:lol:

Or alternatively, you could ask the trained and qualified gym instructor who is on site to help.

Instead of listening to untrained, unqualified people on the internet. me included

;)

Or alternatively, you could ask the trained and qualified gym instructor who is on site to help.

Instead of listening to untrained, unqualified people on the internet. me included

;)
holds very little weight tbf, its a 6 week course. Some of the PT's i've seen have given pretty bad advice on form when i've been in the gym.

;)

Some PTs are absolute f***ing morons.

;)

Id trust the advice of Ross and Titus over a personal trainer every time. Some of the advice Ive been given in gyms by PT's is beyond ridiculous.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back