Lifting Covid restrictions by March 'a disaster', says Sage scientis

Status
Not open for further replies.
What do you think they'll do with all those coming off furlough in march? They either extend it, through them on the scrap heap, or lift some restrictions. It's going to be a mixture of all 3 surely

I doubt they'll extend it again, personally - I guess it relies on the hospitalisation data at that stage.

Who do you think is still on furlough at this stage?

Ive never said open it up now marra. Im talking about the things people might do to get them through the day or week now. Just cos you know restrictions in place is the right thing it doesnt make it no easier to get through for people

How serious would this disease have to be for you to think 'you know, staying at home is the best thing to do, despite me desperate to see my mates socially distanced in the park'?

Ebola safe?
Bubonic plague safe?

Just because you think it's pretty safe for you doesn't mean it is for everybody and everybody should be sticking to the same rules.
9.9 million in Mid December, will obviously be more now.

I said who, not how many.

Which industries?

How serious would this disease have to be for you to think 'you know, staying at home is the best thing to do, despite me desperate to see my mates socially distanced in the park'?

Ebola safe?
Bubonic plague safe?

Just because you think it's pretty safe for you doesn't mean it is for everybody and everybody should be sticking to the same rules.

Which industries?
Hospitality, events industry, some manufacturing, tourism, theatres, sporting clubs, nighttime jobs .....

Hospitality, events industry, some manufacturing, tourism, theatres, sporting clubs, nighttime jobs .....

Anything out door open early spring.

Everything bar theatres open by September.

Sadly there will be some people whose employers will have used furlough as a way to shift people off their books.

Anecdotally.

People belonging to more than one bubble.

House parties.

Christmas mixing.

To be fair, I read post after post of anecdotes on here over the summer of neighbour x doing this, of someone's best friend's mam doing that, yet it didn't seem to accelerate growth much. Also, while one person who has two bubbles might be breaking the rules, I would not necessarily describe that as taking the mick either.

As much as I think that the anti-lockdown brigade are completely incorrect, there's seemingly a group of people who don't seem to view lockdowns as moderately effective, yet hugely damaging measures that we should try to avoid as best we can.

Anything out door open early spring.

Everything bar theatres open by September.

Sadly there will be some people whose employers will have used furlough as a way to shift people off their books.
Either way at least 1 million people currently getting a wage won’t be when furlough ends, as the CoE admitted, i sense it’ll be closer to 2 million. Largely outdoor events should commence again in March, theatres a concern. Theatres big for British economy, people go to the west end to the theatre and get transport down, have a meal, stop overnight ... the cogs have stopped turning.

Until international travel is restored theatres will struggle regardless of being open.
A lot of Brits would still go though and plough VAT into the treasury with all the added things they did but that’s just stopped. Will be the same with the football, many pubs would only break even thanks to matchday revenue.

To be fair, I read post after post of anecdotes on here over the summer of neighbour x doing this, of someone's best friend's mam doing that, yet it didn't seem to accelerate growth much. Also, while one person who has two bubbles might be breaking the rules, I would not necessarily describe that as taking the mick either.

As much as I think that the anti-lockdown brigade are completely incorrect, there's seemingly a group of people who don't seem to view lockdowns as moderately effective, yet hugely damaging measures that we should try to avoid as best we can.

Lockdown is the only thing so far that is proving to be effective.

It could be more so if more stuck to the rules.
A lot of Brits would still go though and plough VAT into the treasury with all the added things they did but that’s just stopped. Will be the same with the football, many pubs would only break even thanks to matchday revenue.

I disagree.

The proportion of Brits who will go to the theatre after this is over will be no greater than what it was prior.

I don't see a return to full stadiums this season mind.

Last edited:
I doubt they'll extend it again, personally - I guess it relies on the hospitalisation data at that stage.

Who do you think is still on furlough at this stage?

Anyone in the pub trade, events, hospitality, probably loads of people that work in colleges and universities etc.. people who work at football clubs and the likes. My lasses daughter is an apprentice at a big place that distributes drinks to pubs and restaurants etc.., massive company and a big warehouse in the north east with loads of staff and loads of delivery wagons, they are closed . Probably any industry that is working with reduced staff which I imagine will be quite wide reaching.

For what it's worth, not nearly enough in my opinion. Half the county should be furloughed if the government had an ounce of courage

If they don't extend it like you think, and they don't relax restrictions, then that's an awful lot of people instantly on the dole queue

Ebola safe?
Bubonic plague safe?

Which industries?

I think you are talking shite and as much as a arsehole than the covid deniers

I disagree.

The proportion of Brits who will go to the theatre after this is over will be no greater than what it was prior.

I don't see a return to full stadiums this season mind.
Bad news on both fronts then and both will mean job losses no doubt. Either way Sunak will have to make unpopular decisions in March and April, whatever he decides to do. Already a Tory revolt brewing over Sunak’s thus far reluctance to extend the £20 increase to UC, from Northern based Tory MPs

Last edited:
Anyone in the pub trade, events, hospitality, probably loads of people that work in colleges and universities etc.. people who work at football clubs and the likes. My lasses daughter is an apprentice at a big place that distributes drinks to pubs and restaurants etc.., massive company and a big warehouse in the north east with loads of staff and loads of delivery wagons, they are closed . Probably any industry that is working with reduced staff which I imagine will be quite wide reaching.

For what it's worth, not nearly enough in my opinion. Half the county should be furloughed if the government had an ounce of courage

If they don't extend it like you think, and they don't relax restrictions, then that's an awful lot of people instantly on the dole queue

I'm not suggesting you think this, but...

In the same way some people will think that a couple of hundred deaths to COVID every week in the future is price worth paying to open the economy, some may also think that a some redundancies are worth it in order to open places back up and stop furlough regardless if all staff are needed.

It's a difficult one and I wouldn't want to be making those decisions.
Not the ones outside of London surely

London provides £700m+ of the £1.28Bn generated by theatres into the UK economy.

Visiting local theatres is one thing - but going home to your own bed rather than a hotel stay, picking up a takeaway instead of going to a restaurant and driving instead of using a taxi make local theatre a much tougher thing to incentivise to get going, IMO.

Last edited:
This may not fit with anyone's view but I honestly believe planes will be flying to tourist resorts by May.

Not only does our tourist industry need this, but places like Greece, France, Spain, Portugal and Turkey will be desperate to get UK tourists back. Like us, they cannot afford another Summer like last year - for some, it is a massive part of their national economy and they will be pulling out all the stops to get it moving again.

If it means proof of vaccination or a negative test dated a few days before departure, I believe that's what will happen.

It’s 2.5 million jabs, not vaccinated. They’ll all need a second jab. Not even one in six based on your figures.

OK we have 3.5 million now people with their first dose, I'm hoping for over 4 million today. They all have an element of protection, not full protection but some. We can have 30 million people by the end of March with a degree of protection. Which is back to my original statement, that's not a small percentage.

That's the whole point though. Unless you go for a Chinese-style, heavily enforced lockdown, expecting a whole country to stick rigidly to a set of rules is never going to work. It will only be moderately effective, because humans will act like humans, won't always think about consequences and will make snap decisions based on their own circumstances. Fighting against that is pointless. Lockdown has actually been more effective than anyone thought because we've all done better than expected.

Also disagree that it's the only thing that has proven to be effective. There's far more people moving about than during lockdown one, close to Tier 4 numbers, with a far more transmissible variant, yet daily cases are starting to decrease. Mitigation strategies are continuing to improve and are having a major impact on suppressing the virus.

OK we have 3.5 million now people with their first dose, I'm hoping for over 4 million today. They all have an element of protection, not full protection but some. We can have 30 million people by the end of March with a degree of protection. Which is back to my original statement, that's not a small percentage.

In fact I've just checked the Lambton Worms daily update, we are over 4 million.

I'm not suggesting you think this, but...

In the same way some people will think that a couple of hundred deaths to COVID every week in the future is price worth paying to open the economy, some may also think that a some redundancies are worth it in order to open places back up and stop furlough regardless if all staff are needed.

It's a difficult one and I wouldn't want to be making those decisions.

thats pretty much what i said in my earlier post. its inevitable that that restrictions can't be fully lifted in time to avoid redundancies and a spike in unemployment, but they have to be lifted to a degree that will probably cause a number of covid deaths.

unless of course they extend the furlough scheme

either way, there is going to be people unhappy with them being lifted too soon / too early / not enough / too much

one thing is for certain is that its never going to be 100% safe to lift them. so me going to my mams, and potentially catching it off her, even though she's been vaccinated, and me passing it on to someone at work, who passes it on to someone who dies, is always going to be an underlying possibility. at the moment, the liklihood of that happening is higher that it will be in march, and in march it will be higher than it will be in june, so on and so forth. hence why i am not going there at the moment, but i might in march

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back