Lifting Covid restrictions by March 'a disaster', says Sage scientis

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's unworkable.

You can't say as soon as the infection drops to below x in 100,000 because that doesn't mean the hospitals aren't still full of sick people....the lag means that it may be a month before those patients recover or die and the hospitals remain busy during this period.

It has to be that the infection drops to below x in 100,000 AND that hospital admissions are low for a prolonged period of time. If this thread is anything to go by then people aren't generally clever enough to realise this.

If you give people half of the information they make their own decisions when they want - you just have to look at Rita Ora:

People would continually be doing this as soon as they thought it was ok.

No figures or road map should be published beyond very high level information, in my opinion.
If there’s no road map by 15th February I will just be doing as I please.

You won't.
I will certainly be seeing older members of the family if the 21 day lapse has been reached from having the vaccine. My hope is the ban on household mixing will break down by popular demand within a few weeks. Good luck underfunded and understaffed police.

I will certainly be seeing older members of the family if the 21 day lapse has been reached from having the vaccine. My hope is the ban on household mixing will break down by popular demand within a few weeks. Good luck underfunded and understaffed police.

I predict you're a bit of a keyboard warrior and you won't be.

If not, you're just a bit selfish.

Millions will be the same in a few weeks. Grandparents have went the best part of a year without hugging their grandkids, and have been told for months a vaccine is their route to liberty. You’ve even seen posters on here say the same, how elderly family are asking when can we see you, ive had the vaccine etc. 21 days is a relatively long time but it’ll be worth the wait for families to reconnect again. Little the government can do. I expect to see Vallance and Whitty wheeled out later in the week for this very reason, telling them to wait 12 weeks, but that’ll fall on deaf ears with many.

Let us know when it's no longer selfish for grandparents to see their grandchildren? If you could give us a case / hospitalisation / deaths indicator or a timescale that'd be appreciated.

We need to set some clear guidelines for returning to normal, if we remember that air corridors where only allowed with countries with infection rates of less than 20 per 100,000, that should give some context.

In all cases there should be evidence of a continued fall in infections and the infection rate must have been below the limit for the restrictions for all of the previous seven days, so not a rolling average.

”Lockdown lite” infection rates fall below 100 cases per 100,000, move to tier 4

Tier 4 infection rates fall below 50 per 100,000, move to tier 3

Tier 3 infection rates fall below 30, per 100,000, move to tier 2

Tier 2 infection rates fall below 20 per 100,000, move to tier 1

Tier 1 infection rates fall below 5 per 100,000 limited social distancing table service etc, otherwise back to normal.

You could have the same system in reverse if the cases start to increase again.

As an alternative , if the vaccine starts to reduce the number of hospital admissions, you could have the tier boundaries set against hospital admissions.

A clear simple system like this would be easy to understand and would remove the will they won’t they delays that we have seen through out this pandemic.
After the vaccine has been rolled out I would link it to hospital admissions and ICU cases.

Let us know when it's no longer selfish for grandparents to see their grandchildren? If you could give us a case / hospitalisation / deaths indicator or a timescale that'd be appreciated.

Global health pandemic.

2m people dead - nearly 5% of which are in this country and people can't put their own needs aside for another 3 months.

We win by working together.

FWIW it's worth:

You're asymptomatic.

You visit your elderly parents.

You pass COVID to them. Vaccine means they're fine - but also asymptomatic.

Your brother then visits your parents and catches COVID.

You brother is asymptomatic - but goes to work.

The virus isn't going away - we need as many people to be vaccinated as possible before the mixing starts.

It's not selfish like. I'll be doing the same. My mam should be in the next few weeks hopefully.

If nothing has even been said by the end of February, then I'm going to be a selfish prick and visit my mam

I think the point that a lot of people are making, and will be more so in the coming weeks, is that there isn't any communication from the government (yet) and if by the end of February they haven't given us something then people will start to say 'fuck it' and go visit family members who have been vaccinated. And it's completely understandable and to be expected

It's not selfish like. I'll be doing the same. My mam should be in the next few weeks hopefully.

If nothing has even been said by the end of February, then I'm going to be a selfish prick and visit my mam

I think the point that a lot of people are making, and will be more so in the coming weeks, is that there isn't any communication from the government (yet) and if by the end of February they haven't given us something then people will start to say 'fuck it' and go visit family members who have been vaccinated. And it's completely understandable and to be expected

And this attitude is exactly why we have the highest death rate in the world.

The virus isn't going away - we need as many people to be vaccinated as possible before the mixing starts.

The whole country? By which time the elderly / current groups will start to become susceptible again. I'm just interested in your timescale of when we can stop calling people selfish for wanting to see their families. 3 months? 6 months? 2 years?

Even though you could catch or pass on the disease to people you live and work with?
The whole country? By which time the elderly / current groups will start to become susceptible again. I'm just interested in your timescale of when we can stop calling people selfish for wanting to see their families. 3 months? 6 months? 2 years?

They reckon 100% of the adult population could be done by the end of June.

This is the hardest part.

This is the common line the people who want to break the rules take:

"How can you call us selfish for wanting..."

No - nobody is selfish for wanting to do anything. The selfish people are those who actually do break the rules. Nobody is criticising you for wanting to see friends or family.

And this attitude is exactly why we have the highest death rate in the world.

I'm sticking to the rules as much as anyone is. Don't leave the house at all other than to go to work and 3 runs a week. Never seen anybody since Xmas day. So there's nowt wrong with my attitude. I've been the biggest advocate for stricter lockdowns and its killing me this shit. Especially seeing all those people cramming beaches and parks on a weekend .

By the end of February it will have been 9+ weeks since I seen my mam or my dad, both of who live less than 10 mins walk from my house. If they've had the vaccination then I'm going to see them. There has to be some sort of give. This can't go on forever . I'm not talking about going to a packed pub or footy match, I'm talking about visiting my mam who lives alone

I'll tell you why we have the biggest death rate in the world, and it's certainly not down to people like me who have grafted on through this whole thing, it's the f***ing Tories and their weak as piss cowardly greedy corrupt bastard set of MPs who have never spent a day in their lives in the real world.
Even though you could catch or pass on the disease to people you live and work with?

So where do you draw the line? Only mix when every single person has been done? I'm not talking about totally f***ing off the rules. I'm talking about visiting my lonely mother

Last edited:

They reckon 100% of the adult population could be done by the end of June.

This is the hardest part.

Would you advocate the current restrictions until June?

I haven’t seen my 79 year old grandparents since last March, I’m hoping they’ll be getting a letter in the next 2 weeks. Once they do I will be going after 21 days, well my 7 month year old nephew certainly will be, no doubt about that whatsoever.

I'm sticking to the rules as much as anyone is. Don't leave the house at all other than to go to work and 3 runs a week. Never seen anybody since Xmas day. So there's nowt wrong with my attitude. I've been the biggest advocate for stricter lockdowns and its killing me this shit. Especially seeing all those people cramming beaches and parks on a weekend .

By the end of February it will have been 9+ weeks since I seen my mam or my dad, both of who live less than 10 mins walk from my house. If they've had the vaccination then I'm going to see them. There has to be some sort of give. This can't go on forever . I'm not talking about going to a packed pub or footy match, I'm talking about visiting my mam who lives alone

I'll tell you why we have the biggest death rate in the world, and it's certainly not down to people like me who have grafted on through this whole thing, it's the f***ing Tories and their weak as piss cowardly greedy corrupt bastard set of MPs who have never spent a day in their lives in the real world.

So where do you draw the line? Only mix when every single person has been done? I'm not talking about totally f***ing off the rules. I'm talking about visiting my lonely mother

If you live alone, are you not eligible to be in a support bubble with your mother's household?

This is the common line the people who want to break the rules take:

"How can you call us selfish for wanting..."

No - nobody is selfish for wanting to do anything. The selfish people are those who actually do break the rules. Nobody is criticising you for wanting to see friends or family.

It's getting a bit daft now though isn't it. A full year. If you've followed the rules tightly for a year, or even the last 3 or 4 months, you are anything but selfish, but as I said in my original point, a lot of this anxiety and moral dilemma could be calmed by the fuckers in charge just giving us something to aim for. A timescale or a number of cases or what the new tiers will be. And I don't mean say it now, I mean in a few weeks, just a bit of communication. Without it , people are going to snap

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back